Home » Decade » 1950 » My Latest Finds and a Wondering Wednesday

January 9, 2013

My Latest Finds and a Wondering Wednesday

By Andrea

I hope you’ve got your identification caps on out there, as I have another instalment of Wondering Wednesdays for you! But first, my latest finds. Or should I say acquisitions, as I went to my mom’s basement to find them!

20130108-222658.jpg
I have admired this liqueur set for as long as I can remember. My parents received it as a wedding gift, so it dates to the mid seventies.

20130108-222826.jpg
Isn’t the gold on the pink glass so pretty?

I love vintage linens, and have been all about tablecloths lately. However, I don’t have much of a collection, so I was super happy when my mom gave me a box of tablecloths that belonged to my grandmother.

20130108-223032.jpg
These two I believe to be from the 50s. They are a bit on the smaller side, but I am going to find a way to make them work on my table. I especially love the one on the right – I adore cherry print!

20130108-223151.jpg
These two I believe to be from the 60s. I love the colours in the print on the one on the right, as avocado green is one of the accent colours in my kitchen.

And now for my wondering Wednesday!

20130108-223356.jpg
I also brought home this set of bowls that belonged to my grandmother as well. My mom says they are quite old, so I am guessing 50s or 60s. However, I’ve never seen this pattern before – does anyone out there know what it is or who would have made it?

20130108-223619.jpg
Unfortunately, there’s no markings on the bottom, so I’ve not got much to go on! If you have any idea, please leave me a comment.

14 Responses to My Latest Finds and a Wondering Wednesday

1. Sherree Reply

January 9, 2013 at 10:35 am

I love your table cloths. How wonderful that your Mom has kept all those things through the years!
    I cannot tell the size of the glass set you are wondering about. If it is larger I would say some kind of salad set. But if it is smaller I would guess a snack set, for chips, nuts, etc. The smaller bowls for each individual guest. It is beautiful!
    Thanks for sharing :-)
    Sherree

• Andrea Reply

January 9, 2013 at 12:58 pm

I agree! vintage isvawesome, but it’s even better when you know at least a little of tne history behind it! :-) I should have given a better reference for the size of the bowls! They are definitely too small to be for salad, they must be a snack set.

2. Julie Reply

January 9, 2013 at 1:25 pm

You could use several tablecloths at a time, overlapping them. I love vintage linens, too!

• Andrea Reply

January 9, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I think I will give that a try! I may also try sewing on an adding a border if I can find a fabric that goes well.

3. Colleen Reply

January 9, 2013 at 2:57 pm

The pattern is called “hobnail glass” and was a really common pattern for glass from Victorian times onward. These were probably pressed glass and likely inexpensive at the time.

If you do a search for something like “clear glass hobnail” lots will come up. All sorts of makers produced this stuff from Anchor Hocking to Fire King to Fenton.

• Colleen Reply

January 9, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Just wanted to add that I clicked around a bit and both Westmoreland (England) and Anchor Hocking (USA) made dishes in patterns pretty much identical to this, with the Anchor Hocking items being closest. Another glass manufacturer might be Ball, Atlas, or Libbey. The marks can be very small and difficult to find, so have another look for an identifying mark.

• Andrea Reply

January 9, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Wow, thanks Colleen, you are a wealth of knowledge! You definitely did much better searching than my attempt. There is a possibility that these bowls could have belonged to my great-grandmother, which would put them n the right era. Thanks for your help!

• Betty Reply

January 10, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Hi Colleen and Andrea!
          I’m the owner of the Etsy shop Mirabella Morello, where the first two links in your comment came from. It was so much fun to see these lovely pieces get some new eyes to look at them! As I mentioned in their descriptions, the dishes belonged to my mother and were part of a VERY extensive glass and china collection she owned. They were some of her favorites and as I mentioned, the first dishes to be taken from the china cabinet when it was time to serve berries or strawberry shortcake! She would have bought them in one of her favorite shopping places at the time, a “dime store”, probably sometime in the 1950′s. I remember shopping in them with her, but for those who don’t remember or who didn’t have the pleasure of shopping there, dime stores were like small department stores, carrying a large variety of small household and gift items. Some of them even had their own “lunch counter” where people could have sandwiches or a fountain drink. Some of my mother’s first jobs were at stores like this and I think she never lost her love for them! She would have been beyond thrilled to know that people from all over the internet were looking at her favorite hobnail bowls!

Betty

• Andrea

January 11, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Hi Betty!

Wow, you are also a fountain of knowledge on these bowls – thanks so much for sharing! :-)

4. Diane Reply

January 9, 2013 at 4:04 pm

• Andrea Reply

January 9, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Those look identical, awesome! Thanks, Diane :-)

5. Sara In AZ Reply

January 9, 2013 at 7:48 pm

I love that decanter set, sooooo pretty! And those tablecloths are super cool too, that is awesome that they were always in your family too………that makes it extra special!

• Andrea Reply

January 9, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Thanks, Sara! I have loved that set since I was a little girl!