Home » Decorating & Home » Shopping » Retro Shops » Recent Vintage Shopping Trip – Some Sweet Sightings Of Lamps, Red Poodles and Reindeer

January 28, 2013

By RetroRuth

Tom and I haven’t been doing much vintage shopping lately, so Sunday we decided to do it up right and go to the largest antique mall in the area, the Bay City Antique Center.  It was awesome. We ended up buying our usual score; a handful of vintage cookbooks, a frosted drinking glass and an ashtray, but we had a lot of fun and saw a bunch of stuff that we ended up not buying.

20130127_130103

The Bay City Antiques Center has a HUGE architectural salvage section, which we always spend a lot of time in!

20130127_131245

20130127_131453

The picture is sort of blurry, but these are pre-tiled wall panels that came from a soda fountain!

20130127_131258

If only I had enough room in my kitchen!

20130127_131508

This was sort of nuts. It was “Christmas in Grandfather’s Barn” and it was a collection of vintage dioramas explaining…well, I really don’t know. It was a little confusing. This one with the reindeer dressed in Santa coats was amazing.  It was explaining how animals get presents at Christmas just like people because Santa’s reindeer deliver presents to animals just like Santa does to us. There were about 10 or 12 of these things and they were very cute, if a little strange.

20130127_133752

Then it was MCM and kitsch time!

20130127_125829

The eyelashes!

20130127_133946

Tom loved the illustration on this microscope box.  Of course, he didn’t take a picture of the HUGE case of vintage Barbie dolls that was across from this which is what I had my nose pressed up against, but I suppose this microscope thing is cool, too.

WP_000067

This lamp is seriously amazing. I’ve seen the string shades before as ceiling fixtures, but never in a lamp. And never this huge!

20130127_130052

“’Tis Angus, My Own!”

There was an oil painting next to this that showed a bunch of mice with clothes driving a car to a picnic on the beach, which was also populated by mice wearing swimsuits. It was soooo expensive though, and I was so devastated about the price that I forgot to snap a picture!

After Bay City Center, we moved on to Americana, another big antique mall down the street.

20130127_144154

A panther lamp that we didn’t buy on top of a TV that we also didn’t buy. I wish we would have bought both!

20130127_144204

Tom being obsessed with a plastic ash tray that had a little trap door in it.  This is not the ashtray he got, however.  In the end he decided to pass on the plastic one and got a teal one with an atomic design that he just couldn’t pass up.

How about you guys? Have you seen anything nuts or awesome lately while out shopping? Is there anything that you left behind that you wish you would have bought? Dish!

9 Responses to Recent Vintage Shopping Trip – Some Sweet Sightings Of Lamps, Red Poodles and Reindeer

January 28, 2013 at 9:01 am

Tom! You look pretty suave in that hat, LOL!

Ruuuuuuuth! Such great finds! I was taken by the gas pumps; I had forgotten how colorful they were back then. Too bad about the vintage Barbies not being photographed, Tom!

• RetroRuth Reply

January 28, 2013 at 11:01 am

I loved those gas pumps! I think Tom would have bought one if we had somewhere to put it. 🙂

2. Ingy Reply

January 28, 2013 at 10:33 am

Ooh! We discovered this place last fall. I admired the soda fountain tiles, too. I bought a Catherineholm casserole and a fabulous breadbox. We will definitely visit this wonderful place again. You need at least half a day to really see the treasures. Thanks for prodding my memories.

• RetroRuth Reply

January 28, 2013 at 11:03 am

It is a huge place, isn’t it? Great for a day of discovering treasure. And there was TONS of stuff to discover. Glad to hear you found some great stuff, too!

3. Sara In AZ Reply

January 28, 2013 at 10:40 am

Eeeeee!!! LOVE that red poodle with the felt lashes….you knew that I would though! 🙂 Awwwwww, bummer about not getting pics of the vintage Barbies, I would have loved to see that!

• RetroRuth Reply

January 28, 2013 at 11:08 am

I knew you would love that poodle! I tried to explain to Tom that we should get it for you, but he said you probably already had it. 🙂

The Barbies were pretty, but only three of them were really vintage. Most of them were from the 70’s and 80’s, which I LOVE but aren’t mid-century at all. They had Day-to-Night Barbie and Peaches ‘N Cream Barbie, which were two that I had as a kid and was excited to see again.

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 28, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Why am I not surprised that Tom said I already had it??? 😉 But alas, I do not….so I will go on devastated until I find a red poodle with felt eyelashes as a suitable replacement. 🙂

And hey, it’s fun to see Barbies no matter when they were from – I love the 70s and 80s ones too!

• Andrea Reply

January 29, 2013 at 2:06 am

Ooh, I had Peaches N Cream barbie, too! And I had Day to Night Barbie’s condo, where one side was her office and the other was her house. And hey, wouldn’t 70s Barbies technically qualify as mid-century? 😉

• RetroRuth Reply