Home » Decade » 1970 » SAN ZHI Taiwan: A Futuristic Resort

January 31, 2013

SAN ZHI Taiwan: A Futuristic Resort

By Sara In AZ

Has anyone else ever heard of  the San Zhi Resort (also Sanzhi) before? I had not ever heard of this super atomic looking resort until a year or 2 ago when I accidentally stumbled upon an online article about Amazing Ghost Towns. I was pretty intrigued by what I saw and had to learn more!

This place looks so eerily beautiful and mysterious all at the same time doesn’t it?

According to Sometimes Interesting SanZhi was built in the late 1970s and was supposed to be a tourist spot for the affluent crowd. By the 1980s the project was abandoned due to investment losses and all of the beautiful pods were  left to rot away.

There was also apparently a number of deaths associated with the construction of this project, leading to the speculation that was why the project was abandoned.

The pods stood for many years…….falling apart more and more each year until they were finally torn down in 2008/2009.

I can only envision how amazing this place would have been had it been completed.

It appears that they were using a lot of wood paneling and built-ins for the furniture. I’ll bet it was really gorgeous.

It is really sad this project was never completed, it looks like it was a really fabulous idea for a resort.

All pictures from Sometimes Interesting.

Here is a link to a Google page if you want to see more links and stories about San Zhi.

SAN ZHI (Taiwan): a futuristic resort

12 Responses to SAN ZHI Taiwan: A Futuristic Resort

1. thatmidcenturyfella Reply

January 31, 2013 at 9:42 am

I remember seeing these online a few years ago, but didn’t know they torn them down. That’s too bad…

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 31, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I know, it is really sad that they tore them down isn’t it midcenturyfella, it looks like it would have been so cool to see in person – even in it’s dilapidated state.

And by the way….just want to let you know that I still read your blog I just can’t comment easily anymore because your ‘leave a comment’ section has changed from the way it was before.

• thatmidcenturyfella Reply

January 31, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Oh! Thanks for the heads up! I had no idea, but no worries. 🙂 I think most of WordPress is transitioning to a new commenting system. I have the same problem with other blogs I read too.

• RetroRuth Reply

February 1, 2013 at 10:16 am

Yeah, what is up with the WordPress thing? It is almost like they WANT to make our lives difficult. 🙂

2. Sharon Reply

January 31, 2013 at 10:23 am

I was enthralled by these the first time I saw them. They were so futuristically beautiful. I would love to see more pictures of the interiors before they went downhill. I went to Taiwan in 2011, and planned to try to see them, and that was when I discovered they had been torn down.

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 31, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Uggghhhhhh Sharon…..that is SO sad that you missed seeing them in person. 🙁 I know what you mean about wanting to see what the interiors looked like originally, I looked all over for pics and could not find any, if you ever come across any please let me know!

January 31, 2013 at 12:47 pm

That would have been SO cool! It’s still really beautiful.

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 31, 2013 at 1:24 pm

It would have been SO cool Eartha,, I wish they could have made it happen after all – but yeah the pics are still really beautiful!

January 31, 2013 at 11:53 pm

That’s so sad that they never were completed – they look like they would have been fantastic both inside and out.

• Sara In AZ Reply

February 1, 2013 at 1:54 pm

It really is too bad Andrea – I agree it looks like it would have been a fabulous resort!

February 1, 2013 at 6:52 am

How sad! These were way cool, looking more like something out of The Jetsons.

• Sara In AZ Reply

February 1, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Oh, so true Sable….they are TOTALLY Jetsons!!! Good call!!!