Home » Decade » 1950 » Can Anyone Identify This Vintage ‘Hawaii’ Floral Picture………Sara Needs Your HELP!

February 28, 2013

By Sara In AZ

Sooooooo, I was at the thrift store this past Tuesday and came across this picture of what I think is a Lily. It looks vintage to me, the paper has that aged look to it – but I could be wrong…….I am just not sure.

100_4750

It is a really pretty picture, that is what drew me to it. The picture also has a faintly tropical feel.

100_4751

I think the picture was done mostly in chalk pastels, but there could be some watercolor in there too.

100_4753

I was surprised when I saw “Hawaii” underneath the signature….I guess I was kinda right of the tropical vibe!

100_4755

Anyway, I tried to figure out what on earth that signature was and just could not make heads nor tails out of it. I also looked around the internet with no luck at all.

So I thought I would ask our knowledgeable readers………….Is anyone out there familiar with these kind of prints, or this artists signature????

100_4756

PLEASE, please, please let me know!!!!!! Thanks y’all!!!!!

17 Responses to Can Anyone Identify This Vintage ‘Hawaii’ Floral Picture………Sara Needs Your HELP!

1. Ruth Reply

February 28, 2013 at 6:59 am

It looks more like a ground orchid to me!

2. Queen of Fifty Cents Reply

February 28, 2013 at 10:30 am

Yup. That’s an orchid…but I can’t read the signature either!

3. Faith Reply

February 28, 2013 at 10:39 am

The signature appears to read: Muriel Orff, Hawaii…

4. Kristal Reply

February 28, 2013 at 11:53 am

My best guess is Muriel Ortt.

5. Julie Reply

February 28, 2013 at 12:51 pm

These people may be able to help: http://pastelartistsofhawaii.org/index.php

6. tammyCA Reply

February 28, 2013 at 3:41 pm

It’s very pretty. The framing makes me think it dates to the 1980s, but it does have that vintage tropical vibe. I can’t tell if that is Muriel H. or O for the last name. Maybe, the artists website to help identify, is it askart?

7. Sara In AZ Reply

March 1, 2013 at 1:24 am

Thanks so much for the comments and the help y’all….I have taken Julie’s advice and contacted someone at the Pastel Artists of Hawaii website – hopefully they can give me some idea who this artist is! And thanks so much Julie for the tip about that site!

8. Julie Reply

March 1, 2013 at 12:19 pm

You are very welcome. Let us know if you find anything out!

March 5, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Intriguing! Let us know if you get your answer. You KNOW how I love researching things and I’m coming up empty on this one.

10. miyapiya Reply

April 9, 2013 at 8:29 am

I have quite a few paintings done in this ‘style’. It is painted using an airbrush technique. Ben Jorj Harris is one of the more famous artists using airbrushing, he more or less invented it. You can see
    his art on ebay and various other places, signed “Harris” on the bottom. Turner, a company that distributed art, has tons of airbrush paintings or prints out there. It is a beautiful style to collect, with almost a 3d effect. Great Score!

11. Shirley Reply

April 22, 2013 at 3:43 pm

I have a small version of that Orchid and I have a large torch ginger. My parents were in Hawaii in 1948 and that’s where and when they bought these. My father wrote on the back of one-Muriel Ortt. Mine need conserving and reframing. But that’s what I know. Let me know if you find more

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 22, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Thank you SO much for letting me know the correct spelling of her name Shirley….and the time frame this was probably made! Everything helps!!!

I have not heard anything back from anyone regarding this artist, but if I ever do I will be sure to post an update here!

• jane Reply

September 2, 2013 at 4:49 pm

I have 2 pictures by the same artist of flowers. please tell me what you found out about the artist, muriel ortt.

• Sara In AZ Reply

September 2, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Hi Jane – I am sorry to report I have no further information. I contacted the ‘Pastel Artists of Hawaii’ and never heard anything back ….I keep hoping someone will see my post and let me know!

12. Bob o link Reply

October 12, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Hey! That is an orchid, and painted by Ted Mundorff, well known in 40s and 50s hawaii. Quite a find nowadays. Google him…. Ted mundorff hawaii.

• Sara In AZ Reply

October 12, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Oh Bob o link…….bless you a million times over for FINALLY solving this mystery for me! Ted Mundorff….I googled it and it all came together, yes – this IS who the artist is! I really, really appreciate you taking the time to let me know…thank you very, very much! 🙂

13. Pingback: Mystery Solved : Vintage Hawaii Floral Picture Finally Identified as a Ted Mundorff Original Print | No Pattern Required