Home » Decade » 1960 » My Collection Obsession – Vintage Pyrex

February 6, 2013

My Collection Obsession – Vintage Pyrex

By Andrea

Sable’s post from last week showcasing some of the vintage Pyrex on Etsy got me thinking that I should show some of my collection to you! I’ve also got a handy cleaning tip for you, as well. Although I love pretty much all Pyrex, my collection is primarily green patterns, specifically Spring Blossom, Verde and Square Flowers. If you’ve got Pyrex that you’d like to identify, Pyrex Love is a great place to look.

20130205-233709.jpg
I got these Verde mixing bowls at a garage sale a few years ago. I use these for everything!

20130205-233844.jpg
These Square Flowers and Spring Blossom bowls were garage sale finds as well. I definitely get a lot of use out of these, too.

20130205-234004.jpg
Both my Verde and Square Flowers casserole dishes were thrift store finds. I was super excited to find the Square Flowers on since it is the larger size.

20130205-234123.jpg
This is a margarine dish, which was actually a promo item back in the 70s. They were meant to hold tubs of Parkay margarine. Unfortunately, today’s margarine tubs don’t fit, so I just transfer my margarine in.

20130205-234314.jpg
Although this one isn’t green, I have a real soft spot for the Friendship Birds pattern. I purchased this one at an antique mall though, as this pattern is pretty hard to find around here.

20130205-234501.jpg
Although these aren’t Pyrex, I had to include them as well. These were made by a company called Gemco, who made these to coordinate with Corelle Dishes in Spring Blossom, which were made to coordinate with the Spring Blossom Pyrex. So coordinated! I love the metal look lids on these, as I think they give them a bit of a diner feel. I would love to collect all of the Gemco pieces.

And now for my tip!

20130205-234737.jpg
We’ve all had Pyrex come out like this after a bubbly casserole, which can be hard to clean since you don’t want to scratch it or take the design off.

20130205-234843.jpg
These Scrunge pads are made by Vileda – they are made for cleaning lass ceramic cooktops without scratching. I was cleaning my stovetop one day, and thought they might be worth a try on Pyrex, since they are made to not scratch.

20130205-235026.jpg
They work great! No scratching, and easy to clean!

This is only part of my Pyrex collection! I am sure many of you collect Pyrex as well – what patterns do you collect?

27 Responses to My Collection Obsession – Vintage Pyrex

February 6, 2013 at 7:50 am

Andreaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!! What a nice collection of Pyrex! I love the Gemco set of condiment containers!

Shamefully, I have always used SOS pads to clean Mommy’s vintage Pyrex, so I’ll change my ways and get something more gentler to use.

February 6, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Saaaaable! Yes, it might be time to change your ways! You want to keep your mom’s Pyrex looking nice for a long time 🙂

February 6, 2013 at 10:11 am

Nice collection! I collect Pyrex too but mostly it’s whatever I find that’s not in bad shape. I only buy them if they’re not ragged out – that’s my rule to keep me from going too crazy. And I love the cleaning tip. One of my favorite things to do is to bring home thrift store glassware and clean it up like new. Do they sell those in the grocery stores?

Love the Gemco. I’ve seen a couple of pieces but not many.

February 6, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I try to limit myself the same way too, Eartha. Even with that, I’ve had to ban myself from buying any more mixing bowls, as this was just a portion of my collection! They do sell the Scrunges in the grocery stores here – hopefully they do in the US as well?

3. Desirae Reply

February 6, 2013 at 10:16 am

When I first moved out, I collected the Spring Blossom pattern. I had everything from placemats to drinking glasses. But, then I got a yellow formica table, and decided that this pattern didn’t go with it. I don’t collect much now, but do have the blue and black snowflake pattern in quite a few baking dishes, and a couple of random loners in other patterns.

BTW, would those cleaning pad take out old stains as well?

February 6, 2013 at 12:44 pm

I love the black snowflake pattern, that’s another one of my faves! The Scrunges do work pretty well on older stains – I have two Pyrex banking dishes from the 50s that were not in very good shape when I got them. It took a little more elbow grease, but the Scrunges did get out a lot of the stains.

February 6, 2013 at 11:43 am

LOVE your collection! So pretty. I will have to keep my eye out for Spring Blossom stuff for you as it turns up fairly regularly at the thrifts around here. I have seen a lot of that Gemco stuff!

I have a small collection that I have picked up thrifting around here. I have some pink gooseberry fridgies, some primary color fridgies, a few pieces in Friendship Birds, some butterprint and I just picked up a Green Dot & Squares Promotional bowl for 69 cents! Yes!

February 6, 2013 at 12:47 pm

I am utterly jealous that you’ve actually managed to find fridgies in the thrift store! I’ve never seen any here, always just at antique shows for big $$. All of my Gemco pieces came from Etsy, as I can’t find it here. If you run across any I don’t have, let me know for sure! 🙂

5. Angie Reply

February 6, 2013 at 3:35 pm

I have a mish mash of things, I usually collect the black and white as well as the pink and the turquoise. in dasiy and snow flack but I have inhareted pieces and been given pieces as well, which I will charish as long as I can. Just got a yellow and black piece, with a stand! from my besty, just love it. I hope to buy a house with a built in cabnet to show them off in some day but for now my buying has stopped because I am running out of room, except for those rare peieces. So what do you all do with the 2 sided cassarols? I have 3 of them yes 3 and I never use them.

February 7, 2013 at 12:59 pm

I also find the two sided casseroles a little hard to use, Angie! I usually just end up ignoring the fact that it’s two sided, and put the same dish in both sides, hah.

• Angie Reply

February 7, 2013 at 3:10 pm

I feel that will just upset the Pyrex goods and the will not bless me with more lovely Pyrex. I think I just need to break down and start doing that. I would think with that middle bar there it would make things that are hard to cook through, like dairy freek quiche a bit easier. Thanks for the slap in the back of th head.

6. Sara In AZ Reply

February 6, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Your collection is just awesome Andrea, I love all of it!

Well, if you read my comment on Sable’s post you know that I collect (what else) the pink. 🙂 Shocking I know! I have the fridge set in pink and the pink mixing bowls – but I only got them piece by piece over time and only when it was cheap. I also have random other patterns that I have picked up here and there at the thrifts like some dot bowls and the snowflake stuff.

Now you have me wondering about those Scrunges, I will have to see if they are available here as they sound awesome! Are they kinda like magic erasers???

February 7, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I would have been shocked if you said you collected anything other than pink, Sara! LOL! The Scrunges are a bit more like those cleaning sponges which have a scrubby side, except the Scrunges have two different scrubby sides, both of which are meant to be good on glass. I only wish I had tried them on my glassware sooner!

7. Laura Reply

February 6, 2013 at 11:52 pm

I greedily covet your Gemco set. I’ve been searching for similar pieces. I notice you seem to like green, just like me. Love them all. I have quite a few pyrex refrigerator boxes, but none of them are really all that special. Just stuff I picked up for cheap on somebody’s yard sale. I love seeing the cute pieces you have!

February 7, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Hi Laura, yes, I definitely do love the green – the accent colours in my kitchen are red and green. But it is primarily that avocado type green, so it doesn’t look too Christmassy, LOL! I am utterly jealous of anyone who has been so lucky as to find any fridge boxes at a garage sale or the like – I just seem to find more mixing bowls!

8. Jessica Reply

February 7, 2013 at 5:10 pm

About 10 years ago I had a whole set of the Amish design in mixing bowls,casseroles and fridgies that I had collected. When we were moving our delightful (insert sarcasm)landlord stole them while we were at the other house. i have never replaced them. makes me sad to think of it.

February 7, 2013 at 7:32 pm

OMG Jessica, that is awful! I hope you are able to replace your set someday.

9. Jeanne Reply

February 8, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Love your collection! I only have the Spring Blossom mixing bowl set and casserole set – which I received as shower gifts back in 1977! I’m so glad I kept them all these years. When my husband and I divorced 13 years ago he took the middle size mixing bowl and casserole dish – so even our Pyrex split. haha. I found a mixing bowl replacement on ebay but haven’t really looked for the missing casserole. I DID find a small matching refrigerator dish with lid that I use as a butter dish for cheap at an antique store. The stories our Pyrex could tell!!

February 9, 2013 at 1:33 pm

That is fantastic that you still have your original set, Jeanne! That is too funny that even your Pyrex split! I didn’t show them here, but I have my mom’s primary colour mixing bowl set that she received as a wedding gift in 1976. I traded her for a modern bowl set that I received as a gift. Her kitchen is contemporary, while mine is vintage, so it was a good trade!

10. Maureen Reply

February 12, 2013 at 5:21 pm

I also collect Pyrex, but don’t stick to one pattern. I do have my favorites-the Butterprint, Autumn Harvest, and the promotional pieces when I can get my hands on them. I try to buy mostly from yard sales, our thrifts hardly ever have pyrex. Yet somehow I find myself on ebay when I need my pyrex fix!! I finally broke down and bought the set of primary on ebay, I didn’t see myself ever finding them up here. Does anyone else have the problem of their significant other not understanding the pyrex addiction? My husband doesn’t get why we need one more mixing bowl!

February 12, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Sometimes you’ve just got to go to eBay to find the right piece! I have the opposite problem with my husband, he’s an enabler when it comes to my Pyrex collection. He keep pointing out the mixing bowls to me when I’ve had to put a stop to buying any more bowls, LOL!

11. andrew grover Reply

April 11, 2013 at 12:34 am

I collect as well my rarest piece is a space saver prototype. I love the earliest glass to the milk glass .

http://iantiqueonline.ning.com/group/collectingvintagepyrexglassware?commentId=1813674%3AComment%3A852371&xg_source=msg_com_group the blue clouds pics

April 12, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Oh wow, that’s a fantastic piece! I’ve never seen that blue clouds pattern before!

12. Andrew Reply

July 20, 2013 at 7:58 am

Another blue clouds just came up on EBAY! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Pyrex-Cloud-Star-575-2qt-Blue-Beautiful-/261248089524?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd3997db4 her cloud is more deformed than mine. I’m guessing that might be the reason it didn’t get put into production? Mine has the smallest hint of being blemished. Her is blemished. She has not replied to me so I know nothing about her piece.

July 22, 2013 at 11:05 am

Yes, that one doesn’t look as nice as yours, for sure, Andrew. I would also speculate that they didn’t get put into production due to the clouds not printing nicely. It’s going for big bucks though, wow! Great find, thanks for sharing!

13. Shawn Norton Reply

November 4, 2013 at 7:41 am

Turquoise butterprint is my main collection, but I have several pieces of Spring Blossom to match my avocado stove. I’ve recently added a few pieces of solid white and I love it!

November 4, 2013 at 11:58 am

Sounds like you have a very nice collection, Shawn! I love the turquoise butterprint myself, but I don’t dare start collecting another print, LOL!