Home » Decade » 1970 » The 70s – An Underappreciated Decade for Mid-Century Fashion

February 20, 2013

The 70s – An Underappreciated Decade for Mid-Century Fashion

By Andrea

I know, I know. I say 70s fashion, and I am sure many of you conjure up images of polyester leisure suits and disco wear. However, there were actually a lot of cute and wearable looks to come out of the 70s, and I’ve found some great patterns to add a little 70s flair to your wardrobe.

All patterns from Etsy.com

First off, from seller GreyDogVintage

20130219-231545.jpg

Knitwear is always comfortable, and this dress pattern offers a way to look cute and be comfortable at the same time! If the collar is too 70s for your liking, cutting it down a bit is an easy pattern alteration to make.

From seller HeyChica

20130219-231859.jpg

I love a trouser leg pant. As a roller derby girl, my derby girl thighs definitely do not like today’s skinny pant styles! I also love a halter top, so cool and easy to wear for summer. This pattern is very classic and has a bit of a 70s does 30s or 40s feel.

From seller ZipZapKap

20130219-232226.jpg

I know, the print combo on the pants view on the pattern envelope really says super 70s. However, done up in a less busy print combo, this is really a super cute and versatile pattern. The bias cut skirt is a classic style, once again we have the great trouser leg pants, and the t-shirt over the button down blouse is a really cute look.

Another one from ZipZapKap

20130219-232649.jpg

The short skirt with tall boots look is a look that’s still on trend today, and the peek-a-boo shorts underneath gives it a different flair, and makes it look fresh for spring and summer.

And finally, from seller olivealley

20130219-233022.jpg

I love a maxi-dress, it’s another style that can camouflage, as well as being cool and easy to wear. The halter styling on this one makes it fantastic for summer.

I hope you enjoyed our fashion trip through the seventies – and maybe found a few wearable styles to sew up! Are there any other styles from the seventies that you like that I have missed?

8 Responses to The 70s – An Underappreciated Decade for Mid-Century Fashion

1. Sara In AZ Reply

February 20, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Oh I think the 70s had some totally cute stuff – that skirt/short skort thing is super cool! And wait, you are a roller derby girl?!?! How did I not know this?????????????????????

• Andrea Reply

February 20, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I really like that one too, Sara! I am planning on going through my patterns to see if I have anything I can make work to do a similar look. And yes, I am a derby girl 🙂 I’ve been skating for 7 months, and my daughter Kat has been skating for over a year. I encourage everyone to get out and support their local roller derby!

2. Lassie Reply

February 20, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I probably have similar patterns as the above in a box somewhere….when I was out clubbing, so to speak, in the 70’s, I had several, yes, several, slinky shiny polyester – Qiana? – knit outfits: pull on pants and a longish tunic top, gathered scoop neck, sleeveless or with cut-out puff sleeves, and long thin ties to wrap around my waist as I wished. Sort of a Grecian look, they were really comfortable and could be glammed up or down. I had beautiful velvety winter white, a periwinkle blue, and solid black. can’t remember which patterns I used, though.

• Andrea Reply

February 20, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Those sound fantastic, Lassie! Tunic tops are definitely another great look to come out of the seventies that I missed. If you ever come across those patterns, I’d love to see them!

3. Laura Reply

February 20, 2013 at 5:37 pm

I can totally see wearing that green number on the very first pattern to work. Looks like a good office casual style for summer!

February 20, 2013 at 8:00 pm

I love that green one as well, Laura, couldn’t agree more!

5. tammyCA Reply

February 21, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Lawdy, you’re bringing back the memories of wearing those clothes back then…yep, lots of the layered look like those pictured. I have to say that at the time I liked the clothes style, but now it is very hard to look at. lol. I did love the halter tops, so easy and really, ‘no pattern required’ just cut a triangle.
    My favorite outfit that my SIL sewed for me was the “Sizzler dress” which was around 1972. The material was slinky, waist tight and flared out with matching panties ‘cuz it was shoooort. Worn with clunky shoes & panty hose like Marcia Brady.
    I recall wearing mini skirts and knee socks for years…even in the blizzards! Palazzo Pants were cool and swishy. Cowl neck tops & sweaters were prevalent in the later ’70s. I did love high-waisted pants since I was skinny and had a long waist…didn’t care for the hip hugger bell bottoms that were so low everybody was mooning (just like now)…but, LOVED bell bottoms in pants and the shirts.
    Now my very favorite style then and now is the peasant top with the short puff of a sleeve and baby doll tops, which came from the ’60s flower child era or influenced by the Romeo & Juliet movie that inspired style.
    One thing to be said about those eras of style was that people actually wore lots of different colors and patterns and weren’t afraid of it, unlike today where black is prevalent.