Home » Decade » 1950 » Vintage Atomic Turquoise Chip and Dip Set Finally Complete!

February 7, 2013

Vintage Atomic Turquoise Chip and Dip Set Finally Complete!

By Sara In AZ

A few years ago Mom and I were checking out our local thrift store when Mom happened upon this bowl.

100_4615

I really liked the bowl and thought the turquoise and atomic star combo was super cool………….

100_4619

…………….however I knew that it was part of a larger set. A 3 piece set to be exact – with a smaller bowl and bracket nowhere to be found in the store. This bowl is the larger “chip” bowl and there is another smaller “dip” bowl that rests in a metal bracket along the top rim of this larger bowl.

Mom was INSISTING that I get the bowl, but I was hemming and hawing because I knew that finding the other pieces would be hard if not impossible (at a cheap price anyway) and I hate not having the complete set when I know it is ultimately supposed to be a set.

Well, Mom just would not let up so we left the store with the large “chip” bowl  for $3. I thought, if nothing else, I’d have a cool punch/serving bowl.

I brought the bowl home and shoved it into the back of my kitchen cabinet where it has sat for probably the past 3 years. No kidding! I’d kind of forget about it for a while, then I’d be rummaging around in the cabinets for something and see that lone chip bowl and wonder if I’d ever complete the set……….thinking my chances were kinda slim.

Then a few weeks ago Mike and I were shopping at another thrift store when I spied a couple heatedly discussing the purchase of this EXACT set of bowls…..the large chip bowl and the small dip bowl (unfortunately still without the metal bracket holder). I’m not quite sure why they were discussing it for SO long, it was really kind of odd. They kept on looking at the bowls, putting them down, talking about it, looking at the bowls again. All the while I was circling the store, watching them, and hoping against hope that they would decide not to buy the bowls.

FINALLY after about 10 minutes of discussion they walked away……….without the bowls! I tried to act all nonchalant as they walked away and as soon as they were out of sight I RAN over to the bowls and scooped up the little dip bowl!

100_4621

Whoo- Hoo! 2 pieces down and one to go! We got the dip bowl for $1.50.

100_4622

Well now that I had the matching large and small bowls I HAD to get that metal bracket holder!!! I looked around online and found this complete chip and dip set – the exact same style just a different pattern – for $10. I broke down and bought it immediately!

That silly bracket was the most expensive part of my whole set, but I knew once I had the smaller bowl it would drive me insane until I completed the set.

And here it is in all it’s glory……the completed chip and dip set with the metal bracket! YAY!!!!

100_4624

It only took me a few years to complete the set, but I’m glad Mom finally did talk me into buying that bowl after all!

Chips anyone???????????????

If y’all haven’t already entered our contest to win an awesome ORIGINAL painting by El Gato Gomez – this painting to be exact……….

…………..you had better get cracking as there are only a few more days to enter!

30 Responses to Vintage Atomic Turquoise Chip and Dip Set Finally Complete!

1. Moe Moe Reply

February 7, 2013 at 7:39 am

Oh. My GOD! The things I would do for a chip n dip like this! Any information on it, like style or maker?

February 7, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I have seen chip and dips like this periodically come up for sale on eBay Moe Moe…..you might want to search under ‘vintage chip and dip’ or something like that and see what pops up. I have never been able to figure out exactly who does make this set, the 2 sets I have are both completely unmarked….so I cannot attribute it to any certain glass manufacturer and I have never seen any names for the different patterns. If anyone out there knows please leave a comment!

February 8, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Moe Moe! Great news!!! Thanks to the great investigative skills of Eartha Kitsch we now know that these chip and dips were made by Anchor Hocking. The grape pattern bowl set is called ‘Golden Grapes’ and the turquoise atomic set I just completed is called ‘Happy Hour’…….here is a link to a Flickr pic on the set in the original box.

Thanks Monimania for posting your pic of the set and thanks again Eartha for figuring this all out!

2. Sherree Reply

February 7, 2013 at 10:35 am

I love it! I have the same set (from a thrift store), but not in that atomic aqua pattern; mine has gold leaves and is not near as cool as yours 🙂 I wonder if there are matching drinking glasses out there for you to hunt down?

February 7, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Thanks Sherree! I’m sure your set is just as cool! You know, that is a good question – I had never thought about drinking glasses before……but that seems like it would be the perfect compliment doesn’t it. I will have to keep my eyes peeled for some!

February 7, 2013 at 10:42 am

Oh my gosh – that couple debating for so long…I would have been in the floor at that point. I’m glad you could complete the set! It’s a really beautiful pattern on yours. I actually have that chip and dip set that you bought to take the bracket off of! I’m not crazy about it but it was free.

February 7, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Thanks Eartha! I really like the atomic pattern too, but I think the other pattern is pretty cute too…..and free!!! Free is the best!

Did your set come with that elusive metal bracket?

That couple…..I was almost on the floor…..Mike would have had to carry me out if they would have bought the set! 🙂

February 7, 2013 at 10:58 am

Eeeeeee!!! I LOVE it! Isn’t it amazing how sometimes against all odds you find the mate to something? I have this Harlequin sugar and creamer set in chartreuse that my Mom and I bought over two years in three different purchases, sort of like your story! First we found the sugar with no lid, then the creamer and then, against all odds, found the lid to the sugar bowl for $2!

February 7, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Thanks Ruth! It really is pretty wild how things sometimes come together like this. And wow, that is a pretty amazing story of how you put together that entire sugar and creamer set! That lid……I am literally stunned you were able to find a matching lid! CRAZY!!!

February 7, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Ain’t it wonderful when the thrift gods come through for you!

Great find, great bowls and yeaaaaaaaa to Mom for convincing you to buy the bowl!

February 7, 2013 at 3:18 pm

I was super excited Sable…..yay thrift gods! 🙂

And Thanks so much, I really do love the set and even more so now that it is complete!

6. Erin Reply

February 7, 2013 at 1:50 pm

So glad you got to complete your set! I have the same set I got an estate sale last year. Haven’t been able to find any info out on the maker. Even saw it in a catalog photo for Rejuvenation!

February 7, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I was so excited when I was able to finally complete this set Erin! Yippee!!!! I’ll have to have chips and dip soon! 🙂

I was curious if you remembered what catalog you saw it in on Rejuv??? Was it a vintage catalog of various items?

• Erin Reply

February 9, 2013 at 9:07 pm

It wasn’t a vintage catalog. It was for Rejuvenation, the lighting and hardware website. I feel like I get one from them once a month. It was probably a couple months back. It was an ad for one of their new mid-century lights. They had the bowl on a table underneath. They too were missing some pieces!

February 10, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Oh, ok thanks so much for clarifying Erin! It must have been fun to see it being used as a prop in one of their pics anyways…..and how funny that they were missing parts too!

7. Uncle Atom Reply

February 7, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Congratulations Sara. I would have done the same thing to get the missing clip. Now use it and enjoy!

February 8, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Thanks Uncle Atom! 🙂 I will definitely be using it sometime down the road!

February 9, 2013 at 1:58 am

Love, love, love this set, Sara! I can’t believe you found the missing parts, that’s fantastic! Gives me hope for finding handles for my Libbey coffee set.

February 9, 2013 at 11:05 am

I still can’t believe I found all the missing parts either Andrea! Crazy isn’t it!!! And yes, don’t give up hope in someday finding those handles…you probably will one of these days!

9. Jen Reply

February 9, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Wow, congrats on that find! I’ve one complete chip & dip set (complete with bracket) that we found at an antiques mall in PA years ago for only TEN DOLLARS. I don’t even eat chips and jumped on it; it has coral and white vertical stripes.

That said, the other is a story like yours, though without the completing smaller bowls; it’s gold and turquoise stripes with atomic-style stars. It showed up at Goodwill for only $5…but it matched the kitchen and is just plain pretty, so home it came. I rather doubt I’ll ever find its sisters, but your tale gives me great hope! Regardless, both are presently on display in my kitchen, on top of the cabinets flanking our sink. 🙂

Congrats again, how exciting! We never know when these things will turn up, do we?

February 10, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Oooohhhhh, Jen $10 for a complete set is a real steal if you ask me! Great find!!!

And wow, the other bowl sounds really spectacular! No, do not ever give up hope that you will find the small bowl to go along with the large bowl…..you truly never do know when these things will turn up!

10. Karen Reply

April 11, 2013 at 6:22 pm

I just found this set today! All three pieces plus an extra chip bowl. Same scenario. Person had it in their hands and I’m saying under my breath “put it down, put it down”. I love it!

April 12, 2013 at 12:30 am

Whoo-Hoo, good for you Karen………..it was obviously meant to be for you to have it!

11. virginia sullivan Reply

December 21, 2013 at 11:58 pm

YES there are 6 bar glasses,8 shot glasses, and a martini mixer.(and 3 piece chip dip and bracket for dip bowl) I came across the entire seventeen piece set in Flatonia Texas in a little family owned stop n go store. I had noticed this section of shelves had used items that the owners daughter had used items marked for sale. the whole set was all stacked inside the chip bowl. WOW what a deal TEN DOLLARS…

12. Wendy Golden Reply

February 18, 2015 at 3:09 pm

I found my 3 piece set at an estate sale, and it also had plastic salad fork and spoon (good match, but not exact match). THEN I saw some matching 4″ bowls on eBay. PERFECT condition. Yippee – now my set is versatile – chip n’ dip or salad!

• Shirley Reply

August 13, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Wendy,
      I’m sure the answer’s no but would you be interested in selling the chip & dip set? If you see my comment above you’ll understand why I am trying to find one.
      Shirley

13. Shirley Woodall Reply

August 13, 2015 at 2:14 pm

Hi there,
    My family are going through my Mom’s house now after her death in January and there is a chip and dip set like your Anchor Hocking “Happy Hour” set that unfortunately 2 grown granddaughters would like to have. I notice most of these post were a while back and was wondering if you would be interested in selling your set. I’m sure you are probably not but I’m trying to find one so each granddaughter will have one.
    Thanks,