Home » Decade » 1960 » Fashion Time Travelling: 1967

March 27, 2013

Fashion Time Travelling: 1967

By Andrea

So who else is eagerly anticipating Mad Men’s two hour premiere on April 7th? I know I definitely am! Mad Men last left off in 1966, however since they usually jump ahead a bit in time, I am speculating they’ll pick up in 1967. (Disclaimer: no spoiler intended here, this is strictly speculation on my part!)

This got me thinking about 1967 fashion trends and what the characters might end up wearing this season. So come and speculate along with me!

(Note: all patterns shown are from Etsy, clicking on them will take you to the Etsy listing)

In early 1967, the mod look (or London Look) was very much all the rage. We saw Megan Draper wear a few mod style dresses last year, and I would expect we might see more. I could totally see Megan wearing something like this:

Twiggy was definitely hot amongst teens, and I am sure that Sally Draper is no exception. I could totally see her wearing something like this, but maybe a little shorter (if Don will allow it!)

I am sure we will see more of little Tammy Campbell this season, and I am betting when we do, we’ll see her in something like this:

Menswear is going to change big time. Suit lapels are going to start getting bigger and ties are going to get a lot wider. I am sure the younger guys will embrace this look, but what about Don? His skinny ties are going to look awfully dated soon!

Although the bouffant styles are not totally passé, shorter hairstyles are starting to emerge, as well as ringlets:

I think Peggy would look really cute with a short crop, but I fear she’ll stick with that flip forever!

I hope you had fun on my trip down speculation lane! For some more styles of the time, here’s a YouTube video showing the Paris fashions of 1967. Enjoy!

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJwbUdgPyUc&w=420&h=315]

10 Responses to Fashion Time Travelling: 1967

1. Sara In AZ Reply

March 27, 2013 at 1:44 am

Totally, totally counting down the days and hours until MM is back on again!!! And yes, I can’t wait to see what they are wearing….I’ll bet some of your predictions are spot on!

• Andrea Reply

March 27, 2013 at 10:58 am

Although I do also enjoy the Walking Dead, I am kinda excited that it is the finale this week, cause I know that means that Mad Men will be on the next week, LOL! I am curious to see if any of my predicitions are correct!

2. Apsutter Reply

March 27, 2013 at 7:23 am

Sooooo excited for MM to come back!!! They FINALLY put season 5 on Netflix for streaming so I know what I’ll be doing all next week. They released the promotional photos already and Peggy has a new hairstyle and looks so freaking cute! The clothing styles definitely look very late 60’s early 70’s. Some of the dresses actually remind me of the movie “The Virgin Suicides.” And Harry Crane looks like a hippy guy in some of the set photos.

• Andrea Reply

March 27, 2013 at 11:00 am

Oooh, I will have to look for those photos! The only promo ones I’ve seen are of Don, Roger, Joan and Betty. The hippy style comes in big time mid/late 1967, so maybe they are actually in 1967, then? Why am I not surprised that Harry would be the one to embrace the hippy look – he always tries so hard to be cool, LOL

3. Sherree Reply

March 27, 2013 at 8:20 am

I am also looking forward to the new season of Mad Men! The patterns you have shown remind me of my older sister, who graduated high school in 1969. I traveled to Europe with my parents in 1967 to visit my brother (who was serving in the Army in Germany) and I remember my mother buying my sister clothing in Paris. I was only 5 years old and I thought the shoes were so cool; maybe I started loving fashion at an early age! Thanks for sharing 🙂

• Andrea Reply

March 27, 2013 at 11:02 am

What an awesome trip to have taken, Sherree! I am betting that shopping Paris did help nurture a love for fashion at a young age!

4. Lassie Reply

March 27, 2013 at 11:16 am

I can hardly wait for MM to come back, I’m getting up at the crack of dawn on Sunday mornings just to watch re-runs!

My heyday was the 60’s (high school). I had a dress from the Twiggy Collection, a simple heavy cotton shift with long sleeves, white collar and cuffs, zipped up the front. It was red, yellow, and blue vertical stripes, and very short – I wore it with fishnet tights and little green suede shoes… good times!

I love the 60’s, love(d) Yardley cosmetics, Jean Shrimpton, Twiggy, and the fashions. Such a fun time to be alive.

• Andrea Reply

March 27, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Lassie – the dress you had from the Twiggy collection sounds fantastic! I am a huge fan of the mod look myself 🙂

5. Ruth Reply

April 4, 2013 at 1:03 am

I used to put my hair in a ponytail, rat it up into a bouffant puff, and wear the ringlets in front. That was in about ’67 or ’68, maybe ’69. Had a hot pink doubleknit dress that wasn’t that short, but still…! Oh to have those legs again.

• Andrea Reply

April 4, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Hi Ruth – sounds like you were definitely right in style back in the day! Your dress sounds like it was super cute, too!