Home » MCM Fun » Author » My Collection of Vintage and Retro Clothespin Bags

March 18, 2013

My Collection of Vintage and Retro Clothespin Bags

By RetroRuth

Do five clothespin bags count as a collection? Maybe, since you really only need one clothespin bag to begin with.  When I was moving things around this weekend, I came across these all folded up in the back of a drawer. This is a collection that I started accidentally by just buying bags I thought were cute, but now that they have blossomed into “collection” status, maybe it is time I do something with these!

20130306_095010

This vintage clothespin bag belonged to my grandmother and it is pretty stained. It could use a good soak!

20130306_095031

This pretty dress/clothespin bag came from an estate sale. I found it in a little ball in the garage with no price on it, and ended up getting it for a dollar!

20130306_095059

This is a reproduction bag from Moda Home from a few years ago. I just couldn’t resist it!

20130306_095138

Okay, this isn’t a bag, but I had it stored with them. It is a vintage pink kitty hanger from when my mother was little!

20130306_095304

Another retro bag from Moda Home. I couldn’t resist the ric-rac on this one.

20130306_095421

And last, but not least, this bag is another retro bag. But this one was made by my mom with some adorable pink kitten fabric!

So, any ideas for displaying these? I was thinking about just hanging them on a line in the laundry room. What do you think?

10 Responses to My Collection of Vintage and Retro Clothespin Bags

1. Debra Reply

March 18, 2013 at 7:03 am

Good Morning!!! Is there anything else that is more iconic of the mid-century than the clothesline & clothespin holder? Every mom had one & it was used nearly every day! I can still smell how fresh the clothes & other things smelled & how crisp the sheets were that came off the line. Have a great day!! 🙂

• RetroRuth Reply

March 19, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Hi Debra!

Glad this could bring back great memories for you! Hope you have a great day as well!

March 18, 2013 at 10:33 am

Sooooo cute! I vote for hanging them on a line with those cute little old timey clothespins. I got my first clothes pin bag a couple of weeks ago and I thought I was hot stuff. Mine went on a hook in the sunporch for holding cat toys.

• RetroRuth Reply

March 19, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Good idea! I actually have my grandmother’s clothespins, and I think that would be really cute!

3. Sara In AZ Reply

March 18, 2013 at 11:32 am

Awwwww, they are all super adorable! I think you should hang them in the laundry – that would look awesome!

I have two clothespin bags, one I got from the thrift that has an embroidered lady on it and the other one I actually have my clothespins in! Here is a pic of that one on ebay

• RetroRuth Reply

March 19, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Cute!! I’ve seen those Champion ones around and I have been thinking about getting one! Hmmm…maybe this will end up being a real collection after all… 🙂

March 18, 2013 at 12:19 pm

These are sooooo adorable. I so love that one that says Laundry. I need to start keeping my eye out for these, since in a month or so it will be warm enough to hang my laundry out again!

• RetroRuth Reply

March 19, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Thanks, Andrea! I bet now that you are looking for them you are going to see them everywhere!

5. dawn Reply

July 23, 2015 at 5:01 am

I recently found a beautiful and curious stringbag with an extra flap of fabric with ties. 2 different people have suggested it is a clothespin bag and I was so interested I just had to research it. your collection is beautiful and I love the idea of displaying it in my laundry room! I don’t seem to be able to post a photo and I don’t have a website so can’t show you mine. Sorry!

6. gloria Reply

November 19, 2015 at 10:30 pm

In the laundry room, one could use a vintage clothes pin bag for those “delicates” that we like to hand wash or wash separately. One could also use as a decorative/storage display in a child’s room for socks or the like. Also a useful to store plastic grocery store bags until they are fazed out. I also liked Eartha’s nifty idea of using the vintage clothespin bag for cat toys. ps My favorite in your collection is the one your mom made.