March 13, 2013Retro Pattern Review – Butterick 5209 (Part 2 of Retro Formalwear)
Last week, I left you with a post showing my decision making process for a dress, that led to my daughter selecting Butterick 5209. This pattern is not an original vintage pattern, but is instead on of Butterick’s reproduction patterns. This pattern is currently still in print, so you should be able to get it anywhere that carries Butterick.
Here’s my daughter’s finished dress!
I had mentioned last week that I had swore off of Butterick patterns in the late 90s, as I had some run-ins with a few that were poorly drafted and overall unpleasant to work with. However, I was pleasantly surprised by this pattern. It was in fact very easy, and went together fairly quickly. I had the dress and the crinoline finished in approximately four hours. For the crinoline, I did a modified version of Gertie’s Crinoline Tutorial, that I’ve used before, this is just a shorter version.
I only made a few modifications to the pattern. I shortened it quite considerably (as per my daughter’s request), and I moved the zipper from the side to the back, as I find that much easier to work with, if alterations are required.
My only real complaint with this pattern was that it was strangely gappy at the sides, which required me to put in a couple of darts to correc
Overall, I would recommend this pattern, just make sure you check the fit along the way
As promised last week, here’s a more detailed shot showing the weave of the spider tulle:
And a shot of the dress, showing the crinoline a little more:
I hope you’ve enjoyed this retro pattern review!