Home » Decade » 1960 » This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Mosaic By Number Edition

March 26, 2013

This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Mosaic By Number Edition

by Betty Crafter

IMG_4199

This week I decided to break into this mosaic by number kit that I’ve had laying around the shop that hasn’t been getting any attention.

IMG_4203

This kit contained the items to make the Taurus, Cancer, and Virgo zodiac wall hanging. I just so happen to be a Cancer, so, yay! By the way, how awesome is that Adam and Eve one??

IMG_4204

The kit contained the wall hanging and all the supplies and tools needed to complete it.

IMG_4201

I did however, elect to use some Alene’s Tacky Glue over the ancient, dried up glue included in the kit.

Now that I had everything laid out, it was time for me to get to work!
The first step was gluing gold braid around the outlines.

IMG_4205

Let me take this moment to say; gold braid, I hate you. I hate you with the fire of a thousand August suns. I hate you more than I hate cleaning out the litterbox, going to the DMV, or having my ladyparts doctor visit. I detest you like I detest cilantro. I think you get the idea. It would NOT stay in the positions I needed it to! When I got to this part I tore at my hair and cursed the sky:

IMG_4206

I quickly made the decision that the crab’s legs did NOT in fact, need the gold braid.

After that it was pretty much smooth sailing – just laying down glue and covering it with glass or stones as directed in the chart. In the end I had this:

IMG_4212

IMG_4213

It’s not too bad, especially considering the fits I had with that blasted gold braid. The parts where I didn’t use it for the crab didn’t turn out bad at all:

IMG_4214

So, success? I guess, sort of. It will do.

14 Responses to This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Mosaic By Number Edition

1. Beth Reply

March 26, 2013 at 6:32 am

I have a new appreciation for the skillfully-done ones for sale on ebay and etsy, of which I have several. The gravel must have been placed a piece at a time, with tweezers.

There are two vintage mosaic tile kits waiting to be worked on at my house. Now I’m nervous!

March 26, 2013 at 9:55 am

Jeez!!! That looks like a total pain! You are right, Beth. I have a new appreciation for those as well!

3. Betty Crafter Reply

March 26, 2013 at 10:26 am

I’m assuming that being bundled up for 50 years made the gold braid more brittle and “stuck in it’s ways” and therefore wouldn’t assume a new position very easily. I think it’s possible that when it’s new it would have been more flexible. That’s what I’m choosing to believe anyway!

4. Tasha Reply

March 26, 2013 at 11:49 am

I so love that you do vintage kits like this, it makes me want to hunt some down. But I agree, what a total pain the gold braid looks like, eek.

5. Sara In AZ Reply

March 26, 2013 at 11:51 am

Even brand new I’m willing to bet that these kits were a painstaking process to put together…some have SO many details…..I gaze in awe at the gravel art pics I have and wonder how much time it actually took the person to put together.

6. Betty Crafter Reply

March 26, 2013 at 12:11 pm

It’s true! I will never again look at those vintage completed ones the same way again!

7. MadgesHatbox.com Reply

March 26, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I remember trying one of these back in the day. I think I got more glue on me than on the mosaic.

8. tammyCA Reply

March 26, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Oh, man you had me laughing at your remarks about hating the blasted gold braid. I hate that stuff, too and yes, I think the oldness of it makes it worse.

March 26, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Maybe hot glue would have worked better than tacky glue? I find that new gold braid is often not flexible, either, LOL. Turned out pretty good all things considered, though!

• Betty Crafter Reply

March 26, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Andrea, I thought about that but decided it would be impossible to get that braid into place without getting burned.

10. Nikki Reply

March 27, 2013 at 12:15 am

I love these! I actually have one hanging in our living room now- it’s a Geisha girl that my grandma did in the 60’s. I always wished I could find a kit to make one myself- but they seem really hard to come by.

11. linda h Reply

April 21, 2013 at 8:12 am

I have made one from a new kit by Suzanna Anna. I don’t think she is making them anymore. The black braid was not too difficult. It was fun.

12. linda h Reply

April 21, 2013 at 8:16 am

I would have loved the one with the lamp and candle. You aren’t thinking of doing any lamp themed crewel kits, are you?

• Betty Crafter Reply

April 21, 2013 at 8:31 am

Linda, I don’t have any in the pipeline, but you never know!