Home » Decade » 1960 » This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Mosaic By Number Edition

March 26, 2013

This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Mosaic By Number Edition

by Betty Crafter

This week I decided to break into this mosaic by number kit that I’ve had laying around the shop that hasn’t been getting any attention.

This kit contained the items to make the Taurus, Cancer, and Virgo zodiac wall hanging. I just so happen to be a Cancer, so, yay! By the way, how awesome is that Adam and Eve one??

The kit contained the wall hanging and all the supplies and tools needed to complete it.

I did however, elect to use some Alene’s Tacky Glue over the ancient, dried up glue included in the kit.

Now that I had everything laid out, it was time for me to get to work!
The first step was gluing gold braid around the outlines.

Let me take this moment to say; gold braid, I hate you. I hate you with the fire of a thousand August suns. I hate you more than I hate cleaning out the litterbox, going to the DMV, or having my ladyparts doctor visit. I detest you like I detest cilantro. I think you get the idea. It would NOT stay in the positions I needed it to! When I got to this part I tore at my hair and cursed the sky:

I quickly made the decision that the crab’s legs did NOT in fact, need the gold braid.

After that it was pretty much smooth sailing – just laying down glue and covering it with glass or stones as directed in the chart. In the end I had this:

It’s not too bad, especially considering the fits I had with that blasted gold braid. The parts where I didn’t use it for the crab didn’t turn out bad at all:

So, success? I guess, sort of. It will do.

14 Responses to This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Mosaic By Number Edition

1. Beth Reply

March 26, 2013 at 6:32 am

I have a new appreciation for the skillfully-done ones for sale on ebay and etsy, of which I have several. The gravel must have been placed a piece at a time, with tweezers.

There are two vintage mosaic tile kits waiting to be worked on at my house. Now I’m nervous!

March 26, 2013 at 9:55 am

Jeez!!! That looks like a total pain! You are right, Beth. I have a new appreciation for those as well!

3. Betty Crafter Reply

March 26, 2013 at 10:26 am

I’m assuming that being bundled up for 50 years made the gold braid more brittle and “stuck in it’s ways” and therefore wouldn’t assume a new position very easily. I think it’s possible that when it’s new it would have been more flexible. That’s what I’m choosing to believe anyway!

4. Tasha Reply

March 26, 2013 at 11:49 am

I so love that you do vintage kits like this, it makes me want to hunt some down. But I agree, what a total pain the gold braid looks like, eek.

5. Sara In AZ Reply

March 26, 2013 at 11:51 am

Even brand new I’m willing to bet that these kits were a painstaking process to put together…some have SO many details…..I gaze in awe at the gravel art pics I have and wonder how much time it actually took the person to put together.

6. Betty Crafter Reply

March 26, 2013 at 12:11 pm

It’s true! I will never again look at those vintage completed ones the same way again!

7. MadgesHatbox.com Reply

March 26, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I remember trying one of these back in the day. I think I got more glue on me than on the mosaic.

8. tammyCA Reply

March 26, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Oh, man you had me laughing at your remarks about hating the blasted gold braid. I hate that stuff, too and yes, I think the oldness of it makes it worse.

March 26, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Maybe hot glue would have worked better than tacky glue? I find that new gold braid is often not flexible, either, LOL. Turned out pretty good all things considered, though!

• Betty Crafter Reply

March 26, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Andrea, I thought about that but decided it would be impossible to get that braid into place without getting burned.

10. Nikki Reply

March 27, 2013 at 12:15 am

I love these! I actually have one hanging in our living room now- it’s a Geisha girl that my grandma did in the 60’s. I always wished I could find a kit to make one myself- but they seem really hard to come by.

11. linda h Reply

April 21, 2013 at 8:12 am

I have made one from a new kit by Suzanna Anna. I don’t think she is making them anymore. The black braid was not too difficult. It was fun.

12. linda h Reply

April 21, 2013 at 8:16 am

I would have loved the one with the lamp and candle. You aren’t thinking of doing any lamp themed crewel kits, are you?

• Betty Crafter Reply

April 21, 2013 at 8:31 am

Linda, I don’t have any in the pipeline, but you never know!