Home » Decade » 1960 » This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Things I Wish I Could Order Out Of Vintage Craft Magazines

March 5, 2013

by Betty Crafter

One of the great/frustrating things about perusing vintage craft magazines are the ads for all the great stuff you can’t order anymore! Today I thought I’d show you some things I would totally order RIGHT NOW if it was 1969.

IMG_4136

First off, I’ve always wanted to make one of these Enid Collins inspired purse kits. Green Mist please – thanks.

IMG_4137

I need this pink elephant kit too. Look! He’s giving himself a bath. And he’s so not afraid of that little old mouse either.

IMG_4138

Ok, this knitting machine in the rad mid century cabinet is UH-MAZING. True, I already have a knitting machine that I have used exactly one time, but I’m sure if it was in a huge piece of furniture in my house I’d use it all the time!

IMG_4145

Doggie snowsuit. Nuff said.

IMG_4143

Ooooohhh!!! 44 different colors of burlap!! I die. I. DIE.

I will leave you with this little nugget of awesomeness:

monkey ad

Oh yeah. That totally just happened.

7 Responses to This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Things I Wish I Could Order Out Of Vintage Craft Magazines

1. Diane Dempsey Reply

March 5, 2013 at 11:38 am

Hey Ruth, How long will it take you to deliver my monkey?
    ;)

2. tammyCA Reply

March 5, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I always imagine sending in my $2 for some cool thing in my vintage magazines and like in some Sci Fi story, I’d receive them..just as they were back in the day! Not the monkey, ‘tho…hmm, I wonder if that’s how my friend’s mom got hers in the ’60s.

• Betty Crafter Reply

March 5, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Tammy, my friend tells an amazing story about an old girlfriend who got a mail order monkey in the 60s. Immediately upon unwrapping it, it bit off a piece of her ear, part of her sister’s finger, and killed the pet bird. Yikes.

3. Betty Crafter Reply

March 5, 2013 at 6:53 pm

I couldn’t help but do some googling about pet squirrel monkeys to check the truth of the ad – here is some of what I found: “They tend to bully the youngest in the family, usually small children and are known to get aggressive and bite. They will favor the head of the family. The monkey will spill and waste food, he will also excrete on various electronic equipment. He may also pull down the drapes and steal food and other things, which he will not return.” They sound delightful.

4. Alexia Reply

March 5, 2013 at 10:02 pm

My mom saved a copy of the paper from the day JFK was shot and I totally remember seeing that monkey ad in the back.

But yeah — as a former primatologist let me just say that primates are not appropriate house pets for a whole host of reasons.

Those purses, though! Yowza. I’m going to look for one of those kits on eBay right now.

• Betty Crafter Reply

March 6, 2013 at 10:37 am

Alexia, I actually have one of those old kits I’ve had for years but for some reason have always just kept it in the box as a display piece. Maybe it’s time to break it out!
      and a primatologist?? Sounds so interesting!

March 7, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Oh my god, that knitting machine is to die for! The prospect of a mail order monkey gives me nightmares, though.