Home » Decade » 1950 » Vintage Dresses……All Found At The Local Thrifts!

March 14, 2013

Vintage Dresses……All Found At The Local Thrifts!

By Sara In AZ

Since my favorite thrift “haunt” for vintage clothes shut down a while back I have not found a lot of really cool vintage clothing. I’m kind of at the mercy of what Goodwill has to offer, but I have managed to scoop up a few cool dresses!

This first dress appears to be homemade, but the seamstress sure did a great job…she even made a little matching bolero! I think the fabric is silk faille. The dress is really cute – it has velvet edging all around the top and you can kind of see the velvet detail on the dress bottom too. Super cute!

fd43

You know I love pink and I just could not pass this pink dress up! I’m thinking later 60s on this dress with those straight lines….maybe a formal gown???

fd72

And here is the tag in the inside of the pink dress – Emma Domb.

Yes, another pink dress! I just cannot get enough! hee! I like that this dress is not a teeny-tiny size…it’s maybe a 14/16 and it is a really cute day dress style. This picture does not do this dress justice, sorry I should have put it on a mannequin.

fd55

This is the tag from the pink day dress – Korell.

This paisley dress is seriously so much cooler than it looks here in this picture. I swear! This dress IS a teeny-tiny size so I do not have a mannequin small enough for it, but the way the dress is constructed is really, really neat! I’m thinking this dress could be 1930s or 1940s and I believe the fabric is silk.

fd115

Here is the tag from the paisley dress – A Claudia Young Original from Madison’s in Mansfield….does anyone out there recognize the designer or the store?

I really thought this dress was neat, all that bead detail is SO cool! I believe this fabric is more of a crepe fabric with satin behind the beading detail.

fd44

A close up of the bead detail, yes there are rhinestones too!

And here is the tag from the beaded dress – Forever Young by Purtian.

This vintage R&K Original dress is really, really FAB! The rhinestone centered buttons are SO neat and all of the edging is done in velvet.

fd61

Here is a close up of the vintage R & K Originals Tag.

Here is a close up of the velvet trim.

And yes, even the bow is velvet!

Lastly, I think this dress is my favorite! Again, sorry I do not have this on a mannequin…thin dress is also a small size so it would not fit on the mannequin that I do have.  I’m thinking this is more of a 1960s dress. The velvet bow around the waist appears to be original as it is sewn in.

fd119

The label inside – Gothe.

fd120

The really cool thing about this dress, besides it being so cute, is that is has tons and tons of iridescent sequins sewn ALL over it. You can kind of see them is the picture below.

fd121

That is all the vintage clothing I’ve managed to score recently, has anyone else found anything great?

14 Responses to Vintage Dresses……All Found At The Local Thrifts!

1. Desirae Reply

March 14, 2013 at 9:17 am

I must say I’m quite jealous. I haven’t found any decent vintage stuff at the thrift in a while. I really love the two black dresses you found.

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 14, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Thanks Desirae! It’s definitely not easy finding cool vintage dresses at a regular thrift store – you really have to search…..A LOT…..through racks and racks to find that one gem. I think it probably took me almost 2 years to find this handful of dresses. Don’t give up hope, you never know what you’ll find!

March 14, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Love them all! If I had to pick a favorite, I’d go with the first one. I love that kind of flouncy ruffle edging.

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 14, 2013 at 9:46 pm

I LOVE that velvet ruffle edging on that dress too Eartha….it really makes that dress super special!

March 14, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Jeez!!! I LOVE that black wiggle dress!! What a find!

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 14, 2013 at 9:48 pm

I kind of freaked when I found that dress Ruth…esp. because it’s not in a teeny tiny size!!! YAY!

March 15, 2013 at 12:56 am

I am utterly jealous of your finds, Sara! Especially that first dress and bolero, so cute!

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 15, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Thanks Andrea! I know, that first dress is just adorable isn’t it!

5. Angie Reply

March 15, 2013 at 11:34 am

are you selling any of these?

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 15, 2013 at 7:51 pm

I probably will eventually Angie…was there a certain dress you were interested in???

• Angie Reply

March 18, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I think I just wanted to know to know. I can’t remember now, to much green beer yesterday I guess.

• Natalie Reply

March 22, 2013 at 4:11 pm

If you ever sell the one with the white dots and sequins Id love to buy it. If it’s my size of course.

6. Sherree Reply

March 16, 2013 at 12:43 pm

I love them all! I am always on the lookout for vintage clothes. I occasionally work as a costumer (or on props and sets) for local theater productions.
    That pink formal looks like something my older sister (or one of my brothers dates) wore to prom in the mid-late 60’s. Or it could have been a bridesmaid dress?
    Thanks for sharing all your finds; do you wear them?
    You could go to a Mad Men party 🙂

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 16, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Thanks Sherree! I thought the same thing about that pink dress – formal/prom dress or bridesmaid dress…you never know! I do like to wear vintage when I can – sadly most of these are on the small-ish side though.