Home » MCM Fun » Author » A Mid-Century Modern Life – A Tribute To Jan, Aka Sablemable

April 5, 2013

A Mid-Century Modern Life – A Tribute To Jan, Aka Sablemable

Everyone here at No Pattern Required is shocked and greatly saddened by the recent passing of our fellow blogger and friend, Jan, also know on NPR as Sablemable.

Jan

The readers of this blog knew Jan as a lover of everything mid-century, from mid-century modern to colonial revival and everything in between. Jan also treated readers to her great sense of humor. “Welcome to Milwaukee,” her last post read, “where there’s a beer joint or cheese shop on every corner.” And how many times did Jan leave a comment stating that she needed to get out the smelling salts to revive her from the awesomeness of a post? Every time I read that joke it made me laugh.

PICT0681

But there was another side of Jan that we as friends and fellow bloggers got to share in as well. Jan was one of the sweetest people I have ever met in my life. Whenever I got an email from her, she always had something good to say, even about our crappy Michigan weather. She loved the local police lodge she belonged to and was always active in their organization. She loved to write, paint and sculpt. She was addicted to buying things on Etsy. She had a collection of vintage cookbooks from her mother.  She  adopted rescued dogs and loved them to distraction. Jan was a fascinating and loving person who cared deeply for others and was passionate about her beliefs.

Jan loved this blog so much, and this blog loved her right back. She did some fantastic writing here over the years and her presence is going to be greatly missed by everyone, especially all of her fellow bloggers. When we originally split up the days on this blog to see who would blog about what, Jan specifically requested Won’t You Be My Neighbor because of her love of time capsule homes. That feature brought so many people inspiration and joy, and I know that writing that feature made Jan happy as well.

Jan, I hope that right now in heaven you are sitting at your refinished Heywood Wakefield dining set in your perfect brick ranch charmer reading a vintage fashion magazine. I’ll miss you forever, and I hope you can hear and see us all today when we say:

“Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!”

Jan1

If you would like to send a memorial to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Fund on Jan’s behalf or to leave a comment on her memory page, please visit her obituary here.

32 Responses to A Mid-Century Modern Life – A Tribute To Jan, Aka Sablemable

April 5, 2013 at 8:52 am

Though I never met Jan in person it was always so easy to tell what a sweetheart she was. She was so enthusiastic not only about her own pieces here on the blog – but also was always SO encouraging and such a cheerleader for everyone else too. She always seemed to exude friendliness and joy. I wish that I’d been able to know her better and to also know about the other loves in her life – I especially love knowing that she was into helping rescue pups. That doesn’t seem out of place for her at all with the big heart that she had. I’m so glad that y’all mentioned what her house in Heaven must be like – I was thinking about that last night…how all of the beautiful homes that she profiled here must look completely unimpressive after she has seen all of the the ranch neighborhoods up in Heaven. I’m sure we’ll see her again one day and she’ll show us the wonderful features of each one with the same enthusiasm that she had here on Earth. Much love to her and to her family and friends. Her time here was too short but she will not be forgotten.

2. Michele DeSutter Reply

April 5, 2013 at 9:16 am

What a loss! I am sad to hear of her passing and know that I will miss her wit and love of MCM that she infused into all her posts. Rest in peace, Sablemable.

3. Sara In AZ Reply

April 5, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh gosh Jan, you will be missed forever and always……..mere words could never covey the great sadness I feel knowing you are gone. Thank you for all the wonderful memories and for all of the lovely and kind things you did…..you were a shining light in this world and nothing is quite the same without you here. May you rest in peace you special, special lady……………our Sablemable.

4. Barbara Reply

April 5, 2013 at 12:47 pm

We are very sorry to hear of Jan passing. What a sad day for everyone. Godspeed, Jan.

5. rae Reply

April 5, 2013 at 1:08 pm

I am so so sorry to hear this. Rest in peace Jan.

6. Renee Reply

April 5, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Such sad news, I will truly miss reading Jan’s post. Rest in Peace
    Sablemable.

7. Maureen Reply

April 5, 2013 at 1:46 pm

I’m so shocked and sad to hear about Jan. Such a loss. I have so enjoyed reading her posts on NPR, she will be very much missed.

8. Diane Reply

April 5, 2013 at 2:36 pm

To say the least I’m so stunned by this news. I found this blog just a year ago while Honey and I shopped for our little mid-century jewel in the rough. Jan’s blogs just made my heart race with anticipation every time I saw the title beckoning me to be the new neighbor. Rest In Piece Jan and enjoy your ranch house and the new neighbors.

Diane

9. Lorie B. Reply

April 5, 2013 at 5:02 pm

My heart is weeping. Jan was such a sweet lady. I never go t to meet her in person, we always intended to get together, but our schedules never meshed. I shall miss her wit and her simple joy for all things Mid Century. And sharing memories about the Benton Harbor, St. Joseph area that is our home. R.I.P. Jan. We shall all truly miss you.

10. thatmidcenturyfella Reply

April 5, 2013 at 5:46 pm

So sorry for the loss! I will miss her work on NPR. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

11. Uncle Atom Reply

April 5, 2013 at 7:45 pm

I’m so sorry to hear this, my condolences to Jan’s family and everyone who knew her.

12. Kim Campbell Reply

April 5, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I am stunned to hear this. My heart goes out to everyone who knew her in person and as a blogger. Her amazing reviews of these great mid century masterpieces will be greatly missed. My condolences.

13. Ethne Reply

April 5, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Jan was one in a billion. She came into my life 11 years ago and we were closer than sisters. Now that she has gone, I feel such an emptiness within. It didn’t matter what was going on in my life, I shared it all with Jan. Half of the enjoyment in doing anything was because I’d soon be telling Jan all about it and she’d be sharing her life with me in the same way. I know she reached out to everybody she met. She just had that way about her. There will never be another ‘Jan’ in my life. Nobody could replace her.

I love you dearly, Jan and miss you terribly. I’m only glad that you’re no longer in pain. I hope you’re having a ball up there. Bubba and Clem miss you too. Rest in peace. SISTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Bob Reply

April 11, 2013 at 1:33 pm

The following quote was stated by one of the finest Baseball players who ever lived, Lou Gerhrig, “I am the luckiest man on the face of the Earth”!
      Since I am married to a most God Fearing, loving, humble, caring, talented, brightest lady, I can truly say “I am the luckiest man on the face of the Earth”! I still consider my “Sablemable”, in the first person, and when I am called home, we will continue our love affair person to person!
      The Twenty Seven (27) years, we had together on this earth, will be but a “Moment in Ecstacy”, compared to our Bliss in Eternity!

I love you, and miss our person to person interaction my Dearest Bunny.

Your Loving, Devoted Husband,

“Chubbo De Bull”

14. Sandy Roycraft Reply

April 5, 2013 at 9:41 pm

I am so sorry to hear this news! As a long-time reader of this blog, I have grown to love all the contributors and to feel as if I “know” them, as if I could walk up to any one of you and launch into a mid-century discussion! My thoughts and prayers go out to Jan’s family and friends. She will be missed

15. Tasha Reply

April 5, 2013 at 11:36 pm

I am so saddened to hear this. I loved reading her posts and she truly had a zest for the mid-century. My heart goes out to her family and friends. She will definitely be missed.

16. Laura Reply

April 6, 2013 at 12:15 am

I will miss her friendly enthusiasm here on NPR. My condolences to her family, and big warm hugs to Ruth and Sara– I know you’ll feel her absence. I am so sorry!

17. Jennie from Mrs Beckinsale Reply

April 6, 2013 at 7:45 am

I’m very sorry for the NPR community’s loss. Jan’s ‘Won’t You Be My Neighbour’ posts were one of the highlights of this wonderful blog.

18. Sherree Reply

April 6, 2013 at 10:49 am

So sorry to hear of her passing. I loved reading all of her posts. My thoughts and prayers are with her family and all of you here at NPR.

19. Betty Crafter Reply

April 6, 2013 at 11:01 am

What a sad loss, for everyone. I will miss her cheerful posts and comments. xoxo

20. Meem Reply

April 6, 2013 at 3:41 pm

What an amazing tribute to an amazing woman. I wish I could have met her because I feel as if I already knew her from her writing. I am sure she is as happy and proud of all of you bloggers as you were of her.

21. Charlotte Reply

April 7, 2013 at 8:49 am

I’m so sorry to read this. I loved reading Jan’s posts. It sounds like she was a lovely lady too.

22. Jeanne Reply

April 8, 2013 at 11:31 am

I’m so sorry to hear this news! My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and to Ruth and Sara – Jan will be missed. “Won’t you be my neighbor” posts were one of my favorites. Time-capsules are so inspiring and satisfying to us voyeurs. Jan touched many lives on this blog.

23. Jen Reply

April 8, 2013 at 11:18 pm

This is shocking and so out of the blue…Jan’s posts always seemed to have a spark about them. My prayers to her family and friends.

24. Erin Reply

April 10, 2013 at 1:23 pm

So very sorry to hear this. I will miss her posts, she seemed like such a kind lady. My prayers go out to her family.

25. Pingback: Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Golden Valley, MN | No Pattern Required

26. Rose Reply

March 24, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Today is the anniversary of my dearest ‘sister’s’ passing. I think about her everyday…her love, her zany sense of humour, her wondeful ability to be a great friend. She has had the greatest impact on my life, more than any other friend I’ve ever had, yet I’ve never met her in real life. She was a wonderful ‘find’ in a Spanish language chatroom. We became friends immediately and I never thought I would lose her so soon. I still shed tears over her.

I keep a constant reminder of her in my living room with a vase of flowers from my garden, beside which rests her photo. She was one beautiful lady, both inside and out. After her passing, I bought a rose to plant in my garden in her memory. It is called “Loving Memory”.

Rest in peace, dearest sister. Your memory lives on and will never die.

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 25, 2014 at 12:29 am

I’ve been thinking a lot about Jan lately too Rose…..I miss reading her posts……I miss her……….

27. Ethne Reply

March 24, 2015 at 5:51 am

Another year has passed and still dearest Jan lives on in my memory. She has left such a huge hole in my heart and I miss her terribly. I could not let her anniversary pass by without acknowledging her unique being and the love she had for everybody in her life. She was so special in every way.

You were an angel, sister, just lent to us for a little while. Sleep peacefully.

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 25, 2015 at 1:45 am

Thanks for leaving your special message on this sad anniversary Ethne, Jan will always live on in all of our hearts.

September 17, 2015 at 4:22 pm

Thinking about Jan today. I miss her like crazy.

• Sara In AZ Reply

September 17, 2015 at 5:26 pm

I know what you mean, I find myself thinking about her a lot………