Home » Culture & Media » Advertising » Florida’s Weeki Wachee Spring Of Live Mermaids – Road Trip To The Past

April 29, 2013

Florida’s Weeki Wachee Spring Of Live Mermaids – Road Trip To The Past

By RetroRuth

Pamphlet001

Arthur Godfrey says:

Weeki Wachee is one of the Seven Modern Wonders of the World!

Pamphlet001

Pamphlet001

The lively, lovely mermaids perform against an awesome backdrop of underwater caverns and mountains while you sit 16 feet below the surface of this crystal clear spring!

Pamphlet002

Bob Hope says:

The live mermaids are the greatest at Weeki Wachee…and it’s fun!

Pamphlet002

Ted Mack says:

This is the finest underwater talent in the world.

Pamphlet002

From Weeki Wachee pamphlet, 1968.

12 Responses to Florida’s Weeki Wachee Spring Of Live Mermaids – Road Trip To The Past

1. Betty Crafter Reply

April 29, 2013 at 9:09 am

Did you know this is still around? They still have live mermaid shows. Dying to go.

2. MadgesHatbox.com Reply

April 29, 2013 at 9:43 am

I love Weeki Wachee. My husband and I went a couple of years ago. Saw the mermaid show – it was fabulous and took the boat ride. The state of Florida rescued the part from bankruptcy and it is now a state park. A bit shabby but still fun.

The disappointment was the lousy gift shop. We were prepared to drop some money on some great souvenirs. I was hoping for reproduction of their great postcards, posters, etc. but it was basically generic Florida part souvenirs. They are missing the “boat” on sales for us “No Pattern” fans.

• RetroRuth Reply

April 29, 2013 at 12:33 pm

That is soooo disappointing, isn’t it? I felt the same way about the souvenirs in the gift shop at Graceland. They had a few things to pick from, but not nearly to the level of “crazy kitsch” that I was expecting. Sounds like that shop was even worse because they didn’t even have mermaid-themed stuff!!

But I am glad to here that the show is still fab and the boat ride was fun!!!

3. Sherree Reply

April 29, 2013 at 11:15 am

I remember going there on vacation in the early 70’s 🙂

• RetroRuth Reply

April 29, 2013 at 12:30 pm

That is so cool, Sherree!

4. Sara In AZ Reply

April 29, 2013 at 11:44 am

Awwwwwww……my dream to go to Weeki Wachee one day!!!

5. Lynn Reply

April 29, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I KNOW my grandma has a bunch of brochures and pamphlets from Weeki Wachee from the sixties – now to FIND them!!!

• rebecca schwandt Reply

March 31, 2015 at 11:24 pm

Hey Lynn, I know this was posted a couple years ago so you might not get this, but I am a UCF student working with the State Parks Department to create an exhibit on Weeki Wachee. If you do see this, is there any way you would be willing to email me scans of those pamphlets?

April 30, 2013 at 12:45 am

If I ever get to Florida, the Weeki Watchee mermaids are so on my list of things to see, for sure!

7. Kristin Reply

January 18, 2014 at 7:29 pm

My mom was a mermaid in the mid-50s. Somewhere there are postcards with her picture on them! Wish she still had them.