Home » Decade » 1950 » My Collection Obsession – Vintage Dog Statues

April 17, 2013

My Collection Obsession – Vintage Dog Statues

by Andrea

I’ve shared with you before some of the dog statues I’ve acquired at antique shows, but I thought that today I would share with you all my whole dog statue collection!

dogs1This is my dog statue collection.  And yes, in the background are my awesome original paintings from our sponsor, El Gato Gomez!

dogs2This poodle is the one that started it all – I bought this poodle from our lovely blog hostess Ruth, many years ago.  He’s meant to hold a plant, but I tend to kill houseplants, so I don’t have one in him right now.

dogs3Next to Chihuahuas, wiener dogs are one of my favourite breeds.  So  this little Dachshund had to come home with me.

dogs4The three are newer additions to my collection.  The front one looks like a Chihuahua to me, although size wise, he is definitely not proportionate to the rest of my collection if he is!

dogs5I acquired these bulldogs at a garage sale a few years ago – aren’t the expressions on their faces super cute?

dogs6These puppies were a garage sale find from a few years ago as well.  They seem to have come from somewhere called Souvenir Vics, based on the sticker on them – anyone ever heard of Souvenir Vics?

dogs7These two poodles were a recent antique sale find as well.  I really like these ones, as they really say 50s to me!

dogs8And finally, my non-dog statues that hang out with my collection.  The little deer was a garage sale find, and the skunks were $1.50 and $1.00 each at an antique show, so they were too cute (and cheap!) to pass up.

I hope you’ve enjoyed seeing my collection!  Do any of you readers collect any type of mid-century statues?

10 Responses to My Collection Obsession – Vintage Dog Statues

April 17, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Eeeee!!! The poodle!!! I had forgotten about that guy, but it is awesome to see him again. Sooo glad he is part of your collection!

• Andrea Reply

April 17, 2013 at 2:33 pm

He’s the one that started it all! 🙂 he’s definitely got a place of honour in my collection.

2. Sara In AZ Reply

April 17, 2013 at 4:16 pm

OMG, I remember that poodle planter now…..wow, that WAS a long time ago! He is SO cute though! He reminds me of one I have that is not a planter…..does yours have a name on the bottom? I think mine says Shafford or something like that. Your dog collection is fabulous…..and those El Gato pics – AWESOME!!!!!!!!

• Andrea Reply

April 17, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Nope, no name on the bottom of mine – just a sticker saying that he came from Planter’s Paradise. I am madly in love with my El Gato paintings, they are awesome!

3. Lassie Reply

April 17, 2013 at 7:37 pm

I have a chicken planter from the same era. There’s no drainage, so the plant would have to be replaced, I guess. It would fit right in with this collection.

• Andrea Reply

April 19, 2013 at 1:00 am

Lassie – cute! Although I’ve seen lots of dog planters, I don’t this I have ever seen a chicken!

4. tammyCA Reply

April 18, 2013 at 1:45 am

yep, I collect mid-century figurines..mostly josef or lefton but anything with that cuteness that is unique to the era. I have a few dogs and one is a tiny pink & gold dachshund (the first dog I remember from childhood was a sweet dachshund).

April 19, 2013 at 1:01 am

Tammy – your collection sounds great. Especially your dachshund, that one sounds utterly adorable!

6. MadgesHatbox.com Reply