Home » Decorating & Home » Our “New” Vintage Piano Has Arrived!

April 1, 2013

Our “New” Vintage Piano Has Arrived!

By RetroRuth

We have a new addition in our house. A piano!

IMG_1644

We recently received this piano from some friends who upgraded their music situation to a baby grand.  I had really never considered having a piano in the house, mostly because I have no musical talent beyond my ability to sing on key. But Tom, who plays the piano and the violin, was very excited when our friends offered this piano to us.

IMG_1646

Cute, isn’t it? It fits just perfectly into our library! And I couldn’t help but jazz it up a bit with some reproduction travel posters from Archiver’s, some deer and some Christmas decorations that I just can’t bring myself to take down.

IMG_1648

Our piano’s name is Whitney!

IMG_1649

We were even more excited to find out that this piano originally came from Wisconsin, since that is where Tom and I originate from as well.

So, what about you guys? Who has a piano in their house?

To be honest, I didn’t know if it would fit in well with our mid-century decorating at first since it is from the 1980’s, but now that it is here I think it looks right at home!

7 Responses to Our “New” Vintage Piano Has Arrived!

1. thatmidcenturyfella Reply

April 1, 2013 at 7:39 am

I have my grandmothers piano, but don’t know how to play. I still remember sitting down with her at the keys and watching her play. She tried to teach me, but all I wanted to do was go outside and roll in the dirt… You know, little boy stuff. Great piano! I hope your house gets to rockin’!

2. Queen of Fifty Cents Reply

April 1, 2013 at 10:13 am

I recently bought a new digital piano…which surprised me! Figured I’d eventually find something like the one you got. But the sleek black case looks good with MCM, it never needs tuning, and it can be a very realistic grand piano or a harpsichord or a pipe organ (and more) at the touch of a button. I don’t really know how to play much either, but I’m finding amazing tutorials on Youtube and elsewhere around the web.

The operative word is “Play!” Making music should be fun, not a drudgery of scales. Just sit down and push some keys and see what you get. You’re going to love it!

3. Betty Crafter Reply

April 1, 2013 at 10:25 am

We have a piano in our formal living room and I think it looks great with our MCM decor! It’s a spinet, like yours looks to be (a small upright.) It’s probably from the 1960s I think. I agree with Queen of Fifty Cents – the important thing is to play it! My mom is a piano teacher and I grew up tinkering around with piano, but now I’m serious about learning to play it well. Little Betty and I take lessons together and it’s a really fun thing for us to do together. I hope she will have fond memories not only of learning to play an instrument together but also of having a house full of music! You can see our piano in this post here:

4. Sara In AZ Reply

April 1, 2013 at 11:46 am

Oooohhhhhhh cool…………..what an awesome gift! I think it looks great!!!

5. Apsutter Reply

April 1, 2013 at 12:50 pm

What a beauty!! I have always wanted to get a piano and to learn how to play. Now that you have the piano against that wall you could adds tons more decor to the wall to really make it a focal point!

April 2, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I woulda never guessed it to be from the 80s! It looks right at home in your place.

7. Nina Reply

April 2, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Wow! I am impressed, as your neighbor piano teacher 🙂

Good to know there is a nice home for the Whitney!