Home » Decorating & Home » Time Capsule Homes » Basement » Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Golden Valley, MN

April 14, 2013

Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Golden Valley, MN

By RetroRuth

Hey there, everyone. I have to admit that I never thought it would be so hard to write a post about such a beautiful house. Here on NPR we’ve gone back and forth a lot on whether or not to continue this feature after Jan’s passing. In the end, we decided that we didn’t think Jan would want anyone to stop appreciating mid-century homes ever, and so we will be continuing Won’t You Be My Neighbor as a tribute to both mid-century architecture and to Jan.

And in that spirit, we have Anthony to thank for giving us a head’s up on this amazing home. Thanks, Anthony!

I am going to call this one escutcheon paradise because…well…you’ll see.

This home is located at  1875 Kyle Place in Golden Valley, MN. It is for sale here through Coldwell Banker, and the asking price is a whopping $1,250,000. Whew. Apparently this week we are heading into dream house territory!

Outside

Here is the description from the listing:

Mad Men Perfection! One of a kind, 1961 modern masterpiece set upon 1.4 acres on Sweeney Lake. Very private w/ towering trees and 150′ lakeshore. Expansive lake views from both levels, this home has been perfectly preserved, & is 5 min from downtown.

Look at the double doors with starburst escutcheons! Wow.

Entrance

This gorgeous house has four bedrooms, two full baths, two partial baths and is about 4100 square feet.

Oh, and this amazing entryway!!

Entryway

The Living Room

Living Room

The KITCHEN!!!

Check it out, more escutcheons!

Kitchen

Another view of the drool-worthy kitchen!

Kitchen 2

Full Bathroom #2

Bathroom 3

A Half-Bath

Bathroom

An Amazing Staircase

Stairs

Not sure if this is an office or a bedroom, but it still looks lovely!

Family Room

Check out that light fixture! And the table!

Lower Level

Lower Level

Room 2

So, that wraps it up for the Mad Men dream home in MN. What is your favorite part, guys?

18 Responses to Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Golden Valley, MN

April 14, 2013 at 10:32 am

OMG WOW! That house is a knockout right from the outside entry and it just keeps getting better and better!

2. Mary Reply

April 14, 2013 at 10:37 am

Love the fact that even though there’s lots of wood and stone, the house remains very light, bright and airy! Beautiful!!

• RetroRuth Reply

April 15, 2013 at 11:09 am

Very true, Mary! It doesn’t look dark in there at all.

3. Beth Reply

April 14, 2013 at 10:53 am

Heavenly house. Looks move-in perfect.

Thanks for continuing this feature, Ruth. It’s one of my favorites. I’m very sure Jan would be pleased you’re doing so.

• RetroRuth Reply

April 15, 2013 at 11:06 am

Thanks, Beth! It means a lot to hear you say that. 🙂

4. Lassie Reply

April 14, 2013 at 11:42 am

OMG. To think there are such houses in the world! I love. love. love. every bit of it. So clean, so bright, so ….’modern’…NO CLUTTER! It looks so so nice, like whenever you buy a new house, and it looks so clean and full of promise, before you move in and clutter it up with all your junk! I think my favorite room might be the ‘office or bedroom?’ – I would make it my very own hidey-hole, with my laptop every morning looking out those awesome windows at the view. Beautiful house and pictures, thank you so much for sharing.

5. Charlotte Reply

April 14, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Favorite part? All of it!

6. MadgesHatbox.com Reply

April 14, 2013 at 12:34 pm

What a beautiful home. I could walk right in. Love the floors.

7. Sara In AZ Reply

April 14, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Oh wow, this house is AMAZING!!! Great find Anthony….Jan would be so proud!

8. apsutter Reply

April 14, 2013 at 2:03 pm

This house is AMAZING!!!!!! I love the entrance and all of the wonderful stone work throughout. I also love the stairway and that kitchen still looks so modern. Just goes to show you that good design never goes out of style. The only thing I would change is that I wish the entire living area was sunken in. I don’t like how only the little area in front of the fireplace is sunken and how the table is positioned there.

• RetroRuth Reply

April 15, 2013 at 11:08 am

I hear you about the sunken living area! If that was my house, I would pull out the table and throw a bunch of pillows down there.

9. deborah Reply

April 15, 2013 at 4:15 am

What a stunner! A fitting tribute to Jan and the following she’s built. I’m so pleased your continuing to share such swoonable real estate.

10. RangerSmith Reply

April 15, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I’m wondering what those two rectangular things are in the lower wall of bathroom #1. What could they be? Amazing party home.

11. Patti Reply

April 15, 2013 at 2:05 pm

I am fairly new to this site but I got sucked in quickly and WYBMN is my favorite part! And this house? There aren’t enough smelling salts to keep me from swooning!!

I’m sorry for your loss and thank you for keeping this feature as tribute.

12. Lorie B. Reply

April 19, 2013 at 11:45 pm

I wonder if this is what Jan’s dream house in heaven looks like? Thanks so very much for keeping this going. I loved looking at the houses, and thru Jan, we found the house where we got our kitchen table, chairs, livingroom end table and lamps. The realotor is a friend and he told me how the house was an estate and the people would sell them. So everytime I see those things, I will always remember Jan. (((hugs)))

13. Pingback: Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Minty Freshness in Scottsdale, AZ | No Pattern Required