Home » Decade » 1950 » Estate Sale Fun – Scooping Up Some Sweet Vintage Towels

May 8, 2013

Estate Sale Fun – Scooping Up Some Sweet Vintage Towels

By Sara In AZ

You know, I haven’t been very many estate sales in a good long while. Ever since a dreadful incident (involving a dealer and some fiberglass lampshades) happened at a sale a few years back, I just haven’t felt the same about going to the sales. I’ve kind of avoided them actually.

I happened upon this recent estate sale entirely by accident. My Mom and I were running some errands when we dove right by a big sign proclaiming “Estate Sale” and “50 Year Estate” underneath with the huge arrows pointing you in the direction of the house. We thought “Why not”, and headed the way of the arrows. As we were finding our way to the house I noticed one of the signs said the sale was 7-2….and it was already 10 minutes after 2. Eek! As we approached the house we still saw cars pulling up and people roaming around, so we made a break for it and hustled our way into the house.

It appeared a lot of the stuff had already been sold, which was no surprise to me since we had arrived SO late. We scurried around anyway, seeing what was left in the aftermath. We made our way over to the always present ‘linens’ table……you know the one – always overflowing with towel sets and sheets…….and right away I spotted these vintage towels. They had them all bound up together and taped up to where you really could not tell what the towels were on the inside – the only towel you could really see was the Bicentennial towel the was right on the top. I really like the old vintage linen towels, so I threw caution to the wind and bought the set of 4 towels for $3.

I anxiously tore apart the tape as soon as we got back to the car……………….

And here is what I came home with! Whoo – Hoo!!!

First up, the Bicentennial towel that was on the top.

Next up, this sweet ‘herbs’ towel by Sewell Jackson.

Oooohhhhhh, a vintage Vera towel was stashed in the mix! So pretty with the blue flowers too.

And finally, my very favorite towel……the Tammis Keefe ‘Home Is Where The Heart Is” towel! Love it!!! All those hearts – so adorable!

I’m super glad we made it into that estate sale, I love my new/old towels!

14 Responses to Estate Sale Fun – Scooping Up Some Sweet Vintage Towels

1. Uncle Atom Reply

May 8, 2013 at 8:53 am

Great find Sara! I know what you mean about estate sales, I went about 10 years without going to any because of bad experiences. I’m going again now, and I’ll even occasionally stand in line before one opens. Around here in the DC area sales are often Fri/Sat/Sun with Sunday being half off most remaining stuff. That’s my favorite, and I’ve found some great little smalls for next to nothing.

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 8, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Oh thanks Uncle! I know what you mean about getting back on the wagon…so to speak…..if I go to a sale now I just avoid the beginning of the sale – when the most madness tends to ensue. I LOVE the half off day too, the best part of the sale if you ask me!

2. Sherree Reply

May 8, 2013 at 10:34 am

Great find Sara! I love the them all 🙂

3. Laura Reply

May 8, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I’m so sorry you had a bad experience. Where I live in the Midwest, people tend to mind their manners. That said, you can run into bad people anywhere! Your towels are AWESOME. I love the bicentennial one! How neat!

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 9, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Thanks Laura! I think that Bicentennial one is pretty sweet too! Yeah, people can get very aggressive at the sales…..so I have just learned to go late – or not at all!

4. tammyCA Reply

May 9, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Cool towels, especially since they are pretty collectible and a greedy one didn’t get them first. I sometimes go to estate sales but they aren’t as vintage-y around here, lots of high end and/or garish antiques & high priced everything..and, I usually avoid the crazy people hours so I can just poke around & hopefully find some little things I like.

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 9, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Thank you Tammy! I know, I was super shocked that someone had not scooped these towels up yet too…..maybe it was just that they could not really see what was under the Bicentennial towel….but still – that’s a cool towel too! I’m with you now – I avoid the ‘crazy people hours’ and go WAY after because I like to poke around too!

May 14, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Those are beautiful and one is a Vera too!

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 14, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Thanks Eartha, and I know….K-razy isn’t it!

6. Jen Reply

May 14, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Wow, what fun towels! They definitely deserve a prominent spot in the kitchen. 🙂

I’ve not gone to an estate sale in ages myself for much the same reason. Sometimes we’ll pop in nearer the end, because there are fewer people to fight (and me only 5′ tall and kinda weak to begin with…!) and the folks running it are ready to go and more amenable to offers. The pickings can be slim, but occasionally I find a gem!

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 15, 2013 at 11:36 am

Thank you Jen! Yeah, I really think they are pretty fun too!

I’m the same way with sales now too….I only want to go close to the end when it is not as crazy. I guess, for me, there is nothing I really HAVE to have, so it’s fun seeing if I can dig up something special that everyone else has missed!

7. Becky Reply

June 5, 2013 at 11:47 am

I know I’m a little late but what a great towel haul! Aqua/avocado is my favorite vintage color combo. My tiny apartment kitchen is decorated with vintage calendar towels – the theme tying them together is they all have cardinals. One is hand-decorated with tiny beads, and I have one from the year I was born. They’re bright and cheery and make me smile every day…and if I ever decide I don’t like them anymore for decor, they’re utilitarian. : )

Oh, and I *always* go to estate sales at the last minute. That’s how I scored a huge 70’s pottery lamp for my living room for $8 (originally $40). In my area, the obviously expensive name-brand MCM stuff gets snatched up in the first 5 minutes of the sale anyway, and all the cool stuff like linens gets ignored.

• Sara In AZ Reply

June 5, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Thanks so much Becky! Wow, your kitchen sounds FAB….and you are so right – if you ever tire of the towels you can take them down and use them!

Sounds like you made quite a score getting that awesome lamp for just $8….so weird all the linens get ignored – I guess all the more for you though!