Home » Decade » 1940 » My Retro Roadtrip – Part Two

May 17, 2013

My Retro Roadtrip – Part Two

by Andrea

Now, I don’t know about the rest of you, but I LOVE to look at thrift shops and antique stores when I am in a different city.  I find I often see a lot of the same stuff at home,  so I always find cool different things when I head somewhere else!  I’ve got some pictures of some neat mid-century things that I saw at the antique mall in West Seattle.

2013-05-07 14.09.46

I had to get a picture of this, as this immediately made me think of our lovely blog hostess, Ruth – these baskets were all filled with vintage cookbooks!  Ruth, if you’re ever in that area, you should definitely take a look here, as you may find some great ones for your collection!

2013-05-07 14.14.58

I really liked this ashtray, as it is such a mid-mod, boomerang shape.  However, I have yet to think of a good repurposing for vintage ashtrays – does anyone out there have any suggestions of other things to use them for?

2013-05-07 14.15.29

Poodles, Poodles, Poodles!  These poodles were all so utterly adorable!

2013-05-07 14.17.12

I liked this piece as well – this serving dish is from the Gourmates by Glo-Hill collection, which I have a collection of.  I just got a kick out of it having a Canada Centennial engraving on it, and finding it at a shop in Seattle!

2013-05-07 14.36.23

They had so many salt & pepper shakers as well, including quite a few cute ones.  However, I found them to be pretty pricey – are salt and pepper shakers usually in the $25 and up range in the US?

So today I showed you all of the things that I didn’t buy … come back next Wednesday, and I will show you what I did buy!

8 Responses to My Retro Roadtrip – Part Two

1. rae Reply

May 17, 2013 at 12:52 am

nashville has pretty reasonable vintage prices on the whole, but the salt and pepper shakers are 20 to 30 dollars here too! i don’t get it. i haven’t picked up many sets lately (and i collect them!) because that seems high to me!

• Andrea Reply

May 17, 2013 at 10:51 am

Wow, Rae, that surprises me! I have a pretty big s + p shaker collection, and I’ve never paid over $20 for a set, with the majority of them being under $10 per set. Wonder if they are considered more collectible in the US?

2. Ann Reply

May 17, 2013 at 1:49 am

Re:ashtrays. You can use them for small items, such as olives, nuts, M&Ms, or even paperclips or small post it notes.

• Andrea Reply

May 17, 2013 at 10:51 am

Good ideas, Ann, thanks!

3. Sara In AZ Reply

May 17, 2013 at 1:53 am

OMG….wait….what mall did you go to??? Was it literally the “West Seattle Antique Mall”??? Toooooo funny if you did cuz we hit that place up when we were there too. I was going to mention it to you as well, but I looked it up online and some of the reviews were iffy. Hope it is still good!

• Andrea Reply

May 17, 2013 at 10:53 am

LOL! Yes, Sara, it was the West Seattle Antique Mall! I thought it was pretty good, there was definitely lots to look at, the place was jam packed. I do think it’s definitely worth a stop for anyone who is into vintage/antiques.

4. Jen Reply

May 17, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Oh, the salt & pepper shakers are darling, especially the bird ones! It is amazing what they go for, though. Ouch.

Also, so far as ash trays…Last year, I found an old ashtray from Camp Grayling, an old military base from my home state of Michigan. It has a trio of handsome cavalry horses on it below the “Camp Grayling” script, and it was only seventy-five cents. I use it (after a VERY GOOD scrubbing, I assure you!) as a spoon rest. I needed one, so why not? 😉

• Andrea Reply

May 18, 2013 at 12:24 am

Ooh, good idea, Jen! I could use a spoon rest, so I will definitely keep that in mind next time I see a cool ashtray. Sounds like the one that you found is very cool – I always think it’s neat when you find something from home away from home!