Home » Decade » 1950 » Retro Kitsch For Sale at The Local Salvage Store!

May 30, 2013

Retro Kitsch For Sale at The Local Salvage Store!

By Sara In AZ

Recently Mike and I had to make a trip to a local building supply ‘salvage’ store called Stardust Building Supplies. Stardust is a lot like Habitat For Humanity ReStore, as they sell various salvaged building supplies. Just like ReStore you never know what you are going to find on any given day, so it’s always the thrill of the hunt that drives you to poke around!

Let’s see what they have for sale today!

They had no less than 4….yes – 4! American Standard sinks! This style of sink is meant to be under mounted and tiled in……with a wedge that kind of juts out from the front. Sooooooo retro cool!

The original labels all still intact.

The 4 sinks were all a very pretty light gray color. I’m betting they all came from the same home!

All the sinks were $20 each – what a great deal!

I also saw this cute little mint green sink with the Hudee ring still attached. This sink was enamel over steel and was not in the best of shape – but I still liked the color.

This sink was $10.

Looks like someone ripped out their whole bathroom counter and guess what………………..

………………it’s all lovely gold fleck laminate!!!! AWESOME!

The whole kit and caboodle was just $35!

I was dying when I saw this last find of the day…………..dying I tell you!

Bear with me, I know the pictures don’t completely do it justice……it’s ALL light pink with gold sparkle laminate!!!!

It was SOOOOOOO pretty!

Trust me, it’s not white – but the most beautiful pale pink.

Oh gosh, I hope you can get some idea of how pretty the pink was.

I took this picture with a piece of white paper against the laminate so hopefully you can get a better idea of the pale pink color.

If only they still made laminate as FAB as this!

Each section was only $10.

And guess what…..after thinking (and obsessing!) about the pink laminate for a week I HAD to go back and get it! I mean for only $20 how can I go wrong? And it’s pink!!!! PINK!!!!!

I’m not sure what I’ll do with it yet, I just have it stored in the shed. Maybe I’ll use it as a work surface once we find our dream house….we could cut it into a table….who knows!

Anyone out there have any ideas on what I should do with  my vintage pink sparkle laminate???

13 Responses to Retro Kitsch For Sale at The Local Salvage Store!

1. Sherree Reply

May 30, 2013 at 8:53 am

Gosh, I wish our area had a Re-store or Stardust store like yours! I even love the name.
    My head is spinning thinking of all you could do with the pink sparkle laminate.
    Of course a bathroom or kitchen countertop. Or a cute little table for a sunroom or kitchen with hairpin legs. A countertop in a sewing / craft room done with pink poodles. On top of a free standing cabinet in a bath or kitchen for extra storage. A potting shed work station.
    Don’t ever get rid of it! You will find a use for it somewhere.
    Thanks for sharing!

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 30, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I know Sherree – isn’t ‘Stardust’ a great name! I definitely will not get rid of it….I promise I will find a use for it one day….thanks for all of your great ideas – you know I am all over that pink poodle idea!

May 30, 2013 at 11:04 am

Wow, your store was chock full of good finds, Sara! I second Sherree’s idea of the cute table with hairpin legs out of your laminate – that would be gorgeous!

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 30, 2013 at 6:33 pm

It was pretty chock full Andrea….but I have to admit it’s not always like that – sometimes I go in and nothing good/retro is there at all. I guess you just never know!

I’m definitely thinking about the hairpin table idea!

3. tammyCA Reply

May 30, 2013 at 11:58 am

Cool stuff & so inexpensive!…good for you to get the pink/gold laminate I’m sure you won’t regret it. If you don’t use it for a bathroom I bet it would be great for a laundry room or craft/art room, having an extra sink for clean up.

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 30, 2013 at 6:36 pm

I was surprised by the super cheap prices as well Tammy – if I was re-doing my house I’d be there everyday searching the racks!

Good idea on using the laminate for a laundry room since it already has the sink opening!

4. rae Reply

May 30, 2013 at 9:09 pm

that white laminate counter is JUST LIKE my bathroom counter! every contractor we have talked to about our remodel keeps trying to tell me it is the lowest grade of stuff available today, but what the heck it has lasted so long! i would maybe trade it out for that pink though!

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 31, 2013 at 9:58 am

Rae!!! Awwwwwwww, no don’t get rid of your sparkle counter….well, unless you want to. The vintage laminate seems like it is made so much better than what you can get today, AND you cannot get the sparkle laminate anymore AT ALL. I suppose laminate is the “lowest grade” of counter top material available, but that doesn’t make it bad…just the cheapest I guess…..what does he want you to get granite????

5. Jen Reply

May 30, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Oh, this post brings back memories of Pittsburgh’s fantabulous Construction Junction. We found SO many great things for our MCM home there! We still miss it and talk about it, especially since the ReStores in Columbus are ridiculously overpriced (CJ didn’t give stuff away, but I also bought a mint green bath sink in beautiful shape for only $8). These salvage places have all kinds of goodies when you can find a good shop!

Not sure about that lovely pink sparkle countertop…other than just sitting around staring at it with loving eyes. Work table? Potting bench? Desk at your new digs?

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 31, 2013 at 10:02 am

Oh wow Jen, Construction Junction sounds AMAZING!!!! If I am ever visiting over yonder I will have to visit it just for kicks!

I seems like the ReStores are getting kinda overpriced here too, I wonder what’s up with that???

I’m sure I’ll figure out something for the lovely pink sparkle…and when I do I will be sure to post about it!

May 31, 2013 at 9:55 am

Sara! Sooooo cool.

Too bad those American Standard sinks were gray! I am looking for one in white so we can put a second sink in our master bathroom.

Also, if you can’t find another use for it, I totally agree that a table would be the way to go with that countertop. Or maybe a set of those graduated “step” tables! I bet Midnight would love to lay on those. 🙂

• Sara In AZ Reply

May 31, 2013 at 10:05 am

Thanks Ruth!

That’s right, I forgot you were looking for another sink – if I ever see one in white I will be sure to snatch it up!

Yeah, tables are definitely a good option…..I know Midnight would LOVE it!!!!! hee! 🙂

7. Pingback: Kool Kitsch For Sale on eBay | No Pattern Required