Home » Decade » 1950 » Another Time Capsule House Comes and Goes…..Sadly Not The Right House For Us

June 20, 2013

Another Time Capsule House Comes and Goes…..Sadly Not The Right House For Us

By Sara In AZ

I was SUPER excited when I saw this 1940s house come up for sale in Mesa awhile back. I thought “This could be the one”, as it had a nice size lot and the house  appeared to still retain most of it’s original details. Unfortunately this house wound up having too many problems, which you will find out about as you read my post. I took a bunch of pictures anyways, because I knew that y’all would enjoy seeing the ‘retro’!

It’s a really cute ranch style house, and I love that screen block and iron fence along the front!

This is the kitchen, which was pretty small – though that was not a deal breaker.

The deal breaker was having the refrigerator installed a few rooms away LITERALLY embedded into one of the outside walls of the house. And when I say embedded I mean the front half was visible from the inside and the entire back half was visible from the carport area. I should have gotten a picture of the back, it was insane.

The dining room had red flocked wallpaper.

I’m thinking it could possibly be original. Maybe? It looked pretty fancy at any rate.

This was the front entry/formal living room area.

This was the other deal breaker. Though I loved this back half of the house, and the whole bar/family room area……it was an addition and done very, very poorly. There were weird steel brackets on the outside of the house holding things together and well, we just didn’t want to go there.

Behind the awesome bar, I imagine lots and lots of parties went on here back in the day!

This was a ceiling light in one of the bedrooms….so pretty!

Here was one of the bathrooms – love those green sinks and the NuTone  medicine cabinets!

The mint green tile is so lovely!

This was the pretty pink bathroom….you know I am loving this!

Dying over those old MOE bow tie wall sconces! AMAZING!!!

The pink bathtub with original hardware.

LOVED this vintage ‘fish’ shower door! The sad thing about this pink bathroom is that someone had covered the original tile floor with large modern ceramic tiles…..and they had done SUCH a horrible job that there were gaps along the walls and none of the tile was straight. uggghhhhhhhhh.

I adored this vintage Western ceiling light!

And finally, these last few appliance pictures were in the guest house area of this property. The guest house itself was pretty unremarkable – even the bathroom – so I only got pictures of these appliances. I do wonder if these appliances were originally in the main house, esp. the stove – as this seems like a pretty big stove for just a guest house.

Really cool vintage Chambers stove.

There was also this Kitchen Aid combination sink and dishwasher. It strikes me as a pretty extravagant thing to put a dishwasher in the guest house when most homes did not even have them back then……so I’m just wondering if this was also once in the main house too.

The old Kitchen Aid Logo.

And here is the interior of the dishwasher.

There were some things we really loved about this house, but with the problems we saw it was just not worth the risk as we did not want to get into a “Money Pit”.

The search goes on y’all!

17 Responses to Another Time Capsule House Comes and Goes…..Sadly Not The Right House For Us

1. Desirae Reply

June 20, 2013 at 9:35 am

Is there a way to leave your name if the buyer starts to gut the house? Someone has to salvage all those great features.

• Sara In AZ Reply

June 21, 2013 at 11:46 am

Desirae – Our agent contacted the seller’s agent for this house to see if they wanted to sell anything, but unfortunately no response was ever received back from them. 🙁

June 20, 2013 at 11:07 am

Yeah, cute house, but there was definitely way too much potential there for a lot of problems, yikes!

• Sara In AZ Reply

June 21, 2013 at 11:47 am

I know Andrea….we were just really not ready to take something like this on. eeks!!!

June 20, 2013 at 11:35 am

Oh my gosh! What a beautiful house! Why…oh WHY did those people have to go and screw it up with crazy nonsense? So saaaaad Sara. : (

• Sara In AZ Reply

June 21, 2013 at 11:49 am

What is up with all the craziness Eartha?!? Please, let me know if you ever figure it all out!!! SO sad!

June 20, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Ah! Love that old Chambers stove and the Kitchen Aid combo! I totally bet that dishwasher still works – those old Hobart appliances go FOREVER!

• Sara In AZ Reply

June 21, 2013 at 11:51 am

Our agent was dying over that stove….she wanted it in the worst way….I wanted those sconces SO badly…..it’s a shame no one ever got back to us, I’d hate to see all that loveliness tossed into the trash.

June 20, 2013 at 12:52 pm

By the way, good call on passing up this one. We were in a similar situation when we were house hunting – came across a time capsule with a pristine yellow kitchen, original bathrooms and a sunken living room, but there was a HUGE crack in the basement. We ended up passing on it, and 6 months after it sold we drove by to see that the new owners had to excavate all four basement walls to repair them!

• Sara In AZ Reply

June 21, 2013 at 11:52 am

Whoa, that is scary!!! Yeah, we definitely want to avoid stuff like that! eeps!

6. Joanna Reply

June 20, 2013 at 1:27 pm

This looks super familiar!! I lived most of my life in Mesa. Does this happen to be on Grand St? Or near that historical district? Most of my family lives in the historical district!

• Sara In AZ Reply

June 21, 2013 at 11:54 am

Joanna – It’s been a while since we were here…if memory serves it was on Orange St.

7. Angie Reply

June 21, 2013 at 1:04 pm

We just looked at a place that was like this we even put a bid on it but didn’t get it in in enough time. We are having such a hard time finding the right place. Since the market is crazy I just cry when I see lovely places like this are bought for cash because you know they are just going to rip all that loveliness out and make it modern to make a quick buck for a flip. The home we fell in love with we did so because there were still a few original features that were left. I figured we could save our money and fix all the newer fixes and bring the house back to what it was. I am still hoping that the buyer they picked will back out for what ever reason and we will have a chance at it. Thanks for reminding me that there are still houses out there like this.

• Sara In AZ Reply

June 21, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I feel your pain Angie, I really do. I don’t know where you live but the market is just insane in Phoenix. We are competing against mostly all cash buyers (flippers) here and we come out on the losing end every single time.

This particular house was priced high for our budget, but we thought if it was in good condition we could swing it. Sadly, once we saw all the work that needed to be done we just had to let it go.

Don’t give up Angie, I am sure your dream house is out there and I hope mine is too……I guess we’ll just have to go through a lot of frogs before we find our prince.

8. Sherree Reply

June 23, 2013 at 5:41 pm

I love all the details, but it just proves that “Beauty is only skin deep”. With all that work and $$$ it was going to take to fix the problems, you may have been sorry. Sometimes things are just not meant to be. Keep looking! The right one will come along.

• Sara In AZ Reply

June 24, 2013 at 11:13 am

I have hope that the right one will come along Sherree! Hopefully soon!!! 🙂

9. Charlotte Reply

June 29, 2013 at 9:53 am

This house has some lovely details, but I think you were smart to pass, Sara. If the previous owner did work that was so obviously poorly done, just imagine all the not-so-obvious problems you might have discovered once you bought it! I think you wisely avoided some headaches and expenses.