Home » Decade » 1950 » Friday Etsy Roundup – DIY Edition

June 21, 2013

Friday Etsy Roundup – DIY Edition

By Andrea

Another one of my many collections is our extensive collection of vintage non-fiction books. A big portion of these are DIY books, and I am always looking for more. I thought I would share some of the ones I came across on Etsy!

From seller MidwesternVibes

20130620-221655.jpg

This craft book looks like it could have both super cute and super kitschy mid century crafts!

Next, from seller forrestinavintage

20130620-222031.jpg

Better Homes and Gardens books are always filled with great info, and the awesome artwork on this one definitely makes it a great addition to any collection.

From seller AlteredArchaeology

20130620-222443.jpg

I really would like this one for my collection – fun things to make with scraps of fabric? This is totally up my alley!

From seller ThriftCore

20130620-222628.jpg

This is another one I’d like to have in my collection – I think DIY used to be much more popular than it is now, and I love books that reflect that more extreme DIY ethic!

Finally, I have one that was sent into us by reader April S. – from seller populuxe

20130620-223038.jpg

This is another one I’d LOVE to have in my collection! This book shows you how to build some fantastic mod and kitschy pieces of furniture!

I hope you all enjoyed this weeks finds!

8 Responses to Friday Etsy Roundup – DIY Edition

1. Lacey Reply

June 21, 2013 at 10:53 am

I’d love to get a peek inside the McCalls book. I always hang on to my fabric scraps, but I’m not a quilter, so they just sit there taking up space. It would be nice to figure out something to do with it all, since I can never bring myself to throw it away.
    Oh, and the cover to “The Handyman’s Book” is so fun, with the pipe and the swooning wife in the background. 😉

• Andrea Reply

June 21, 2013 at 6:05 pm

You and me both, Lacey! I have bins of scraps that I can’t bear to throw out, but just take up space since I never know what to do with them. There’s only so many doll clothes I can make, LOL!

2. Sara In AZ Reply

June 21, 2013 at 11:43 am

I LOVE those old Better Homes and Gardens books…so awesome….I’ll bet that one has a bunch of cool projects in it! Mike……… 🙂

• Andrea Reply

June 21, 2013 at 6:06 pm

I totally think you should buy it, Sara! And then show us what you put Mike to work doing, LOL!

June 21, 2013 at 1:10 pm

I LOVE that furniture in 24 hours book! It is sooo hilarious!

• Andrea Reply

June 21, 2013 at 6:07 pm

I know, Ruth! It’s so tempting to buy – just because I am curious as to what else is in there!

4. Nina Reply

June 21, 2013 at 8:38 pm

These are all books I grew up with. I should have paid more attention, but what the heck, I was 10 then 🙂

5. Nina Reply

June 21, 2013 at 8:48 pm

My mom was so crafty. Christmas gifts one year were nut trees made with un shelled nuts, drilled with holes , inserted with nails,
    varnished and inserted into tree shaped foam trees. Magnificent!

Easter we dipped string in a starch solution and wrapped it around small air filled balloons to make an egg shape. After it dried and hardened, we popped the balloons to reveal our egg shaped silhouettes.

The fabric and patterns continue to sit in my 94 year old mother’s basement 🙁

Then there was the cake decorating. Mom took cooking classes at the Antoinette Pope School of Cooking in Chicago. Antoinette was the precursor to Julia Child and famous in Chicago. A marriage between a French and Italian made exquisite food! We use the cookbook to this day!