Home » Decade » 1940 » My Collection Obsession – Gourmates by Glo-Hill

June 19, 2013

My Collection Obsession – Gourmates by Glo-Hill

by Andrea

One of my favourite kitchenware items to collect is Gourmates pieces.  Gourmates were made from the 1940s to the 1970s in Montreal, Canada, by the Glo-Hill company.  They are pieces of stainless servingware, bar sets, cutlery and other kitchen gadgets.  Gourmates are always stainless, with  red bakelite handles and sometimes clear glass bowl pieces as well.  What really draws me to them is that although they are most definitely mid-century, the designs have a bit of an art deco quality to them as well, which I love.  Here’s my collection!

I actually have two of this smaller serving tray – I keep one on my kitchen table all of the time as a centerpiece, and to hold my salt and pepper shakers.

This tray is the larger sized long and narrow tray.  It’s great for serving anything that’s a loaf!

This one should actually have two glass bowls in the top portion – it’s really hard to find these actually still with their glass pieces!  I am hoping that I will eventually come across some glass bowls for it.

This two-tiered serving tray looks great  holding pastries for dessert!

However, this three-tiered one looks even more impressive covered in pastries to serve!

This one is the smaller long and narrow tray, the same one that I showed in my recent garage sale finds post.  It works great for nuts, candies, etc.

They did all originally come with these identifying stickers on the bottom – however it’s generally pretty hard to find pieces that still have the sticker on them!

I am curious to know, since these are Canadian made, do you American readers ever see these pop up in the US?  I did come across a piece in Seattle, but since it was engraved for Canada’s Centennial, I am pretty sure it was a souvenier piece that someone had brought back from Canada!  Anyway, I would love to know if these are common in the US at all!

15 Responses to My Collection Obsession – Gourmates by Glo-Hill

1. Sara In AZ Reply

June 19, 2013 at 12:21 pm

I have never seen (nor heard of) Gourmates before you started posting about them….they are really cool though – I love those red handles!

There are A LOT of Canadians here with winter homes….you never know, I may run across one yet!

• Andrea Reply

June 19, 2013 at 12:34 pm

I love the red handles, too – that’s what really drew me to them, since red is one of my kitchen accent colours! If you do ever come across any, I would love to know what you find!

2. Queen of Fifty Cents Reply

June 19, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Don’t think I’ve ever seen these either, but now that you’ve brought them to my attention maybe they’ll start popping up everywhere! The red handles are quite spiffy.

• Andrea Reply

June 19, 2013 at 12:38 pm

I would love to know if you do ever come across any as well! 🙂

3. Sherree Reply

June 19, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I have also never seen them, but I will be on the lookout! I will contact you if I find any.
    Thanks for sharing. I love the red handles 🙂

• Andrea Reply

June 20, 2013 at 11:05 am

Definitely looks like they are not common in the US for sure! Thanks, Sheree!

• Barb Goodwin Reply

January 22, 2016 at 11:21 am

They are made in Canada. My US customers love Glo Hill. 🙂 So do I…it is exquisitely made and very high quality.

4. deb Reply

June 19, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Nope, never seen ’em…

5. Angie Reply

June 20, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I think I may have seen something that was it or like it in a shop in Napa California, the store was closed but it was a coffee pot and I want to say some sort of bar set. I’m sorry I can’t remember exactly but they were both lovely and I wish the store as at least open so I could paw at them for a bit if not buy them.

• Andrea Reply

June 21, 2013 at 6:03 pm

That’s too bad the store was closed, Angie, those both sound like excellent pieces!

6. Angie Reply

June 21, 2013 at 6:12 pm

next time I am there I will see if they are still there and get you prices & pictures. Tell them I am a buyer and have a client. blah blah blah.

7. Guinn Reply

September 6, 2013 at 2:53 am

I picked up a couple trays this summer in Canada and brought them home to California. I think they are totally boss.

8. MJ Reply

March 8, 2014 at 1:25 am

I have never seen or heard of Gourmates until yesterday, when I saw one at an estate sale in Texas. I loved it immediately so I bought it. Now, I would like to find other pieces to use with it.

9. Melanie Reply

March 28, 2014 at 5:04 pm

I love, love, love Glo-Hill! What a great post and such a wonderful website. I plan on parting with some of my Glo-Hill collection in my Etsy shop so you should pop in from time to time to see what I list. Do you have any of the butterscotch bakelite pieces? I’d really love to see this stuff go to people who appreciate it as much as me.

10. Treasures By Brenda Reply

March 31, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Thank you for an interesting post. I agree with all of those that like the hat handles. The pickle serving tray that I am preparing to list on eBay has a dark burgundy wine coloured handle – I assume that it is darker from age – and a bit of wear, which only adds to the attractiveness of this piece, in my opinion. It also has all of its glass inserts. I am definitely tempted to keep this piece…and love your collection!