June 26, 2013My Vintage Volkswagen Westfalia – Progress Report #5
We’ve been working like crazy on our Westfalia, and although Darren has done an awesome job in the engine compartment getting it to run smoothly, that’s something that’s hard to share in a blog post! However, I’ve finally got some progress I can share!
This is the jumpseat which was behind the driver’s seat in the bus. Although the base was original, previous owners had built this strange, uncomfortable seat out of orange Formica on the base.
Here’s another shot better showing where in the bus the seat was.
So, we pulled the seat out, and took off all of the strange Formica parts, leaving us with the original base again.
Time to start building something more comfortable. We cut two pieces of plywood which I used spray adhesive to attach 4″ foam to.
I also upholstered these with the same material I used for the other seats in the back. We also cut two other pieces of plywood for the seat, which I painted red.
Here’s the seat with the new plywood attached:
And here’s the finished seat!
The actual seat cushion is held in place by Velcro, so that the inside of the seat can be used for storage. Of course, this is only a seat to be used when the Westfalia is not in motion!
Stay tuned for more progress updates!