Home » Decade » 1940 » This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Doilies – Yay or Nay?

June 11, 2013

This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Doilies – Yay or Nay?

by Betty Crafter

doilies 1

There are those who love vintage in all its forms, and those who believe it should be used sparingly and selectively. I am normally in the former category, except when it comes to doilies. On this issue, my friends, I am torn. I love the 30s and 40s when they were a staple of every well appointed home, but I have never really been able to fully get on board with them.

doilies 4

For example, this just does.not.appeal to me.

doilies 6

And if I tried to put doilies on the couches and chairs, I think Mr. Crafter would consider it grounds for divorce. I’m already on thin ice because of my affection for Ice Loves Coco!

doilies 5

However, I do not hate doilies in the bedroom for some reason. I even have one that my great grandmother made on my dresser under my kangaroo dresser caddy.

doilies 3

I really like the atomic shape and pattern of these doilies. It helps cut down the grandma factor, I think.

dolies 2

And this doily-like tablecloth is A-ok with me.

So what do you think, fellow vintage lovers? What do we think about doilies? Do you have them in your house?

8 Responses to This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Doilies – Yay or Nay?

1. Roberta Jones Reply

June 11, 2013 at 1:30 am

I have dozens of these trasure books that I got from my mother in the 1960’s. most are from the early 50’s or late 40’s. I just love looking through them, and have made many doilies and even a bedspread. I do more knitting than crochet these days, but still make the occasional afghan or blanket.

• Betty Crafter Reply

June 11, 2013 at 11:56 am

Me too! Knitting takes up most of my time these days but there is nothing quite like a crocheted afghan in my opinion!

2. Desirae Reply

June 11, 2013 at 9:38 am

I have one on my coffee table. I bought it as a set, but can’t bring myself to put the other one out. I think they can be done right, but that to many scream grandma decor. Plus, this was a time when men used hair products that were super greasy, and women were trying to find an attractive way to protect their furniture. But, since this is no longer needed….

• Betty Crafter Reply

June 11, 2013 at 11:51 am

It’s not a problem now a days unless your mister has a pompadour! I used to date a guy that did and the grease was a real problem.

3. Jason Reply

June 11, 2013 at 11:47 am

I have one on my dining room table from my grandmother, under my Fostoria punchbowl, stand and plate which was a gift from my grandmother. Looks nice, protects the table – but I rotate between that and runners, etc. I wouldn’t put them all over – but looks nice here and there. She only really ever used them under stuff in the dining room – same thing protection from scratches, etc. She doesn’t use them at all now really in the new house.

• Betty Crafter Reply

June 11, 2013 at 11:53 am

I totally agree! In moderation, they are quite nice.

4. Sherree Reply

June 11, 2013 at 11:58 am

I used them for years, when I lived in an old farmhouse that was sort of shabby chic / cottage style. I have always loved old linens, but I have since moved on to a mid century modern-ish home and they just don’t go with the look we have now 🙁

5. Ruth Reply

June 12, 2013 at 11:41 pm

I truly hate doilies–sooooo much starching and ironing! I have a few that have sentimental value (one is 59 years old, my mom made it when she was pregnant with me). The ones on the furniture where called Antimacassars, of course. They were made to keep Macassar Oil stains off the furniture originallyand just became a fashion after the oil went out of use. My great aunts used to have them on their furniture for years, because many of my male relatives used to use hair oil.