Home » Decade » 1960 » This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Make it with sheets – yay or nay?

June 18, 2013

This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Make it with sheets – yay or nay?

IMG_2760

Just when I think I’ve seen it all when it comes to wacky vintage crafts, I uncover this little number. Make it with sheets! A pamphlet predictably put out by a company that manufactured linens.

IMG_2761

Why decorate with sheets? Well according to this company there are many reasons. They’re handsome! They’re work savers! They’re easy to launder! They’re durable! They’re economical! All definitely very good reasons to use sheets as a decoration medium.

IMG_2762

Is this a technique still viable today? Or was it even viable 50 years ago? I set out to find some modern sheets that would make me consider using some of the ideas in this pamphlet. Friends, I could not find a single set of sheets that I would want as the focal point of any room in my house. I’ve always thought that sheets as curtains was a bit college-dormy, and I can’t see how any of these projects would look much different. Plus, most sheets are lightweight and either solid color or a smallish pattern, neither of which I thought would look good as a reupholstery or drapery medium.

IMG_2763

What do you think? Can you see doing this in your home? Have you seen any sheets that would make a good candidate for this application?

13 Responses to This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Make it with sheets – yay or nay?

1. Patrick M. Reply

June 18, 2013 at 12:05 am

In all fairness, the sheets of yesteryear were a might sturdier than they are today. Still, I can’t imagine all that “combspun percale” festooning every inch of window and wall space.

2. Susan Reply

June 18, 2013 at 12:31 am

This was, of course, the era that also produced recipes that included Spam and Jello combined (ick), so this semi-whacky idea is kind of par for the course. I do think you might be able to make passable summer curtains from sheets, however.

(Oh, and on the subject of weird things in the 50s/60s, my mother picked up the following recipe and served it to the family regularly: Heinz baby custard, topped by a dollop of Heinz baby prunes. All straight from the jar, natch.)

3. Cindy Reply

June 18, 2013 at 2:20 am

well i did sew curtains for my kids when they were little that were from sheets… it was a cheap way to get curtains!

4. Sherree Reply

June 18, 2013 at 8:27 am

I agree, for the price you are getting plenty of fabric fairly cheap. And they are finished on all of the edges. Over the years I have used them to make simple valances, pillow covers and (in a pinch) a quick tablecloth. They do wash up nice and can go in the dryer. I try to find flat sheets at the thrift store and use them to make porch or patio furniture cushion covers. If they are faded or stained after the summer is over I just throw them away and make something new next year.

5. Janet Reply

June 18, 2013 at 11:20 am

Marimekko sheets would be fun! Small prints could work in small rooms. For a real retro look, maybe you could embolden them with bias tape stripes.

6. tammyCA Reply

June 18, 2013 at 2:19 pm

The vintage sheets were a lot prettier and varied than they are now. Back then they cordinated sheets with wallpaper/bedding. I have a lot of pretty vintage sheets and some I could see as curtains for the girls rooms..I had a nice ’60s Vera king size summery floral sheet that I wish I hadn’t given away that would’ve worked. I do sew simple patchwork quilts with vintage sheets and they are cool & super soft on hot days/nights. Check out pinterest for ideas.
    In the ’90s I bought a new sheet that was so rough and stiff that it could only be used as a makeshift shower curtain.

7. Debbie Reply

June 18, 2013 at 2:27 pm

My mom made a duvet cover and a matching Roman blind out of sheets for my daughter’s room many years ago. Looked great for a long time.

8. Kim Campbell Reply

June 18, 2013 at 6:35 pm

My mom made curtains out of heavier sheets. They were perfect!

9. Patty Reply

June 18, 2013 at 7:34 pm

I don’t think it is wacky at all. I’ve made beautiful curtains using sheets that I have gotten on clearance. Have you seen the price of material if you want to sew curtains? I have also made duvet covers by sewing two sheets together and turning them inside out like a giant pillow case. I added ties and it turned out really cute. Sometimes you have to decorate on a dime if you don’t have a quarter!

10. Ruth Reply

June 19, 2013 at 12:45 am

I have used sheets as curtains for over thirty years now! The better quality ones aren’t see-through at all, and they are good for pillows, cushions, and everything else.

June 19, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I would totally do curtains out of my Marimekko sheets if I had spares!

12. Jen Reply

June 19, 2013 at 10:08 pm

It really does depend upon the quality of the sheet and whether or not you can add trim or find them in a pretty print! In a pinch, especially, they work well because of the value—even higher-end sheets than the usual Target fare, for instance, will cost less than curtains or the fabric to make them with.

13. Dennise Reply

July 26, 2013 at 10:02 pm

My mom made curtains, padded cornices, a small table cloth and a cushion for my wicker chair when I was a teenager in the seventies out of sheets that matched my bedspread. It was in a fern pattern I loved! I wish I could find it again.