Home » Decade » 1960 » Tips For Your Wardrobe – 1962 Style!

June 5, 2013

Tips For Your Wardrobe – 1962 Style!

By Andrea

One of my newer additions to my vintage sewing book collection is this McCalls Easy Sewing from 1962.

Instead of getting right into sewing, the first few pages of the book have some really handy tips on choosing a silhouette that works for your body shape, and selecting a pattern.

This information is just as true today as it was then, so please, enjoy the read and the fantastic illustrations!

7 Responses to Tips For Your Wardrobe – 1962 Style!

1. Lassie Reply

June 5, 2013 at 8:28 am

Henceforth, I will whip up some frocks of dull finish, blue-gray, medium weight fabric with a vertical stripe. Perhaps …. a shirtwaist! But no petticoat! Lol, thanks for this little trip back in time, the advice actually is good to keep in mind when choosing a pattern and fabric, which can be overwhelming. (When I was in my teens I made a blouse AND skirt of cream colored chintz with big cabbage roses, and I kept hearing: who shot grandma’s couch? The fabric was so pretty, but I never thought to consider how such a thing would look on my short, squat body.)

• Andrea Reply

June 5, 2013 at 10:35 am

Oh, Lassie, I have to admit, I chuckled when I read your story! I too have been guilty of questionable print usage in the past, heh. I had this lovely long red and black damask print skirt that I wore a lot in my early 20s – which also garnered a lot of grandma’s couch comments!

2. Tasha Reply

June 5, 2013 at 9:48 am

So interesting to read some of the little tips and tricks that we might not even think of! Who knew warm colors could make you look larger and cool colors smaller??

• Andrea Reply

June 5, 2013 at 10:36 am

Tasha – that’s definitely one that most people don’t think of nowadays, I think. Usually people just head straight to black when they are trying to look smaller!

• Lassie Reply

June 5, 2013 at 4:02 pm

🙂 I sewed my own clothes like MAD back in the 60’s. How I wish I’d saved a few things, to show my daughter what fashions mom wore back in the day….

3. Sara In AZ Reply

June 5, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Super great tips Andrea, I will definitely keep these in mind!

I had never thought about different colors making someone appear larger or smaller….maybe I should get an all gray wardrobe! 🙂

• Andrea Reply

June 6, 2013 at 9:41 am

LOL, Sara! Although, I do admit that reading this made me glad that I actually have a lot of grey in my wardrobe already. I guess I was making myself look slimmer all along, hah!