Home » Decade » 1960 » Tips For Your Wardrobe – 1962 Style!

June 5, 2013

Tips For Your Wardrobe – 1962 Style!

By Andrea

One of my newer additions to my vintage sewing book collection is this McCalls Easy Sewing from 1962.

20130604-230613.jpg

Instead of getting right into sewing, the first few pages of the book have some really handy tips on choosing a silhouette that works for your body shape, and selecting a pattern.

20130604-230830.jpg

20130604-230855.jpg

This information is just as true today as it was then, so please, enjoy the read and the fantastic illustrations!

20130604-230952.jpg

20130604-231038.jpg

7 Responses to Tips For Your Wardrobe – 1962 Style!

1. Lassie Reply

June 5, 2013 at 8:28 am

Henceforth, I will whip up some frocks of dull finish, blue-gray, medium weight fabric with a vertical stripe. Perhaps …. a shirtwaist! But no petticoat! Lol, thanks for this little trip back in time, the advice actually is good to keep in mind when choosing a pattern and fabric, which can be overwhelming. (When I was in my teens I made a blouse AND skirt of cream colored chintz with big cabbage roses, and I kept hearing: who shot grandma’s couch? The fabric was so pretty, but I never thought to consider how such a thing would look on my short, squat body.)

• Andrea Reply

June 5, 2013 at 10:35 am

Oh, Lassie, I have to admit, I chuckled when I read your story! I too have been guilty of questionable print usage in the past, heh. I had this lovely long red and black damask print skirt that I wore a lot in my early 20s – which also garnered a lot of grandma’s couch comments!

2. Tasha Reply

June 5, 2013 at 9:48 am

So interesting to read some of the little tips and tricks that we might not even think of! Who knew warm colors could make you look larger and cool colors smaller??

• Andrea Reply

June 5, 2013 at 10:36 am

Tasha – that’s definitely one that most people don’t think of nowadays, I think. Usually people just head straight to black when they are trying to look smaller!

• Lassie Reply

June 5, 2013 at 4:02 pm

🙂 I sewed my own clothes like MAD back in the 60’s. How I wish I’d saved a few things, to show my daughter what fashions mom wore back in the day….

3. Sara In AZ Reply

June 5, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Super great tips Andrea, I will definitely keep these in mind!

I had never thought about different colors making someone appear larger or smaller….maybe I should get an all gray wardrobe! 🙂

• Andrea Reply

June 6, 2013 at 9:41 am

LOL, Sara! Although, I do admit that reading this made me glad that I actually have a lot of grey in my wardrobe already. I guess I was making myself look slimmer all along, hah!