Home » Decade » 1940 » Decision Making Help Needed! Flower Girl Dress

July 31, 2013

Decision Making Help Needed! Flower Girl Dress

By Andrea

I know last Wednesday I promised to show you the finished caftan remake, but my friend’s on holidays right now, and I am hoping to get a good finished picture for you all, so it will be a couple of weeks before I can show that.

In the meantime, I need some help! My brother is getting married August 31, and Ella is going to be the flower girl. It’s a very casual, outdoor wedding and I’ve been told that she can wear whatever I like, so I need some help picking a pattern from my vintage pattern stash!

20130730-170354.jpg

Option 1: Simplicity 4878. I would do version 2, the sleeveless version, and probably skip the flower appliqué. Ella does, however, have a lovely pink crinoline she could wear underneath to give it some pouf.

20130730-170605.jpg

Option 2: Advance 5887. I really like view 1’s dark dress with contrasting lace collar and bit of lace from the slip poking out. Plus it has pockets, and Ella does love a dress with pockets!

20130730-170744.jpg

Option 3: Simplicity 6684. I actually like view 1 with the long sleeves better than the short for this one. Again, Ella’s crinoline could be added for some pouf, or I would consider adding a lace trim on the bottom as well to give a similar effect.

20130730-171002.jpg

Option 4: Butterick 4975. This one is definitely different than the other three options, but a sailor dress is always super cute on a little girl! I would do view C, but have the dress be navy blue with white trim, since Ella is very fair.

So, please help me out! Please comment below and let me know which dress you think I should make!

16 Responses to Decision Making Help Needed! Flower Girl Dress

1. Baranna Baker Reply

July 31, 2013 at 9:18 am

I like option #1

July 31, 2013 at 10:09 am

Option #2! I love that type of dress!

3. Sara T. Reply

July 31, 2013 at 10:18 am

Option #2! So cute

4. Barbara Reply

July 31, 2013 at 11:54 am

Option 2!

5. Sara In AZ Reply

July 31, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Option 1!!! Option 1!!!!!!!

6. Lauren Bradley Reply

July 31, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Option 1!

7. Flying Texan Reply

July 31, 2013 at 1:38 pm

How old is little Miss Ella? Is she old enough to put in her two cents? I’m thinking outside in August – sleeveless or capped sleeves, which rules out option 3. If it was a more formal indoor wedding, I would like option 2, as I think it has an elegant look to it. So that leave 1 or 4. I would decide based on the outdoor setting. I think option 1 is really cute and vintage but as you said, who doesn’t love a sailor dress? I’m sure she will be darling in whichever one you choose! Good Luck!

• Andrea Reply

July 31, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Sorry, I should have put that in my post! Ella is 2-1/2. She is happy with any type of a dress, so long as it is a dress and has pink on it somewhere (very much a girly girl). Thanks for your help!

8. Angie Reply

July 31, 2013 at 2:33 pm

I’m sorry I don’t know how old she is but if she is 4 or under I would go with 5887 for sure. If she is older I would go with the 1st one or the last one. Maybe you should let her pick from 3 or 4 appropriate fabrics and then pick the pattern that would go good with it. Gingham is super big this year so a pink gingham with a white peter pan color and bow tied in the back would be perfect with some white saltwater sandals. Man I wish I had a niece, only nephews and they are teenagers now.

• Andrea Reply

July 31, 2013 at 5:04 pm

She is 2-1/2, so I will count your vote as Option 2. Pink gingham is a great idea, and will go over well with her as she loves pink! Thanks for the suggestions!

9. Linda Reply

July 31, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Option 1 or 2 would be cute!

10. Desirae Reply

July 31, 2013 at 10:07 pm

I thought I commented, but now I don’t see it. I vote for number 2. So cute!

11. Penny Reply

August 1, 2013 at 12:43 am

Option #1…so crisp and summery and could be made to look oh-so-sweet for a casual outdoor celebration! Maybe a sash to match the crinoline?

• Andrea Reply

August 1, 2013 at 10:53 am

Oh, the sash idea is excellent, Penny! I am really wanting to sew all of these dresses, with all of these great suggestions!

12. AtomicVault.etsy.com Reply

August 1, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I like option #1, but maybe you could add a pocket? Dunno

13. Lassie Reply

August 1, 2013 at 8:25 pm

OK. The 5887 Advance: too fussy, too dated. That’s the dress Lucy and Violet wore in Peanuts in the 50’s.

The 6684 Simplicity: long sleeves in August?????? NO.

The 4975 Butterick: Adorable! I love it – but no. Too casual. Not dressy enough for a wedding (even if the wedding itself is casual). I do love it, though.

The winner: #1 – 4878 Simplicity!!! Adorable, can be dressy, is sleeveless and simple and just right for a casual outdoor wedding. (I heartily wish this came in adult sizes, I would whip up a batch over the winter for myself for next year!) Please, please, pick #1. Can’t wait to see the finished product!