Home » Decade » 1950 » My Kitsch-Tastic Day At The Thrifts!

July 25, 2013

My Kitsch-Tastic Day At The Thrifts!

By Sara In AZ

Lately the thrift stores around here have been pretty lean…..not many cool or interesting things to buy at all. Usually when I do a post on my thrifting finds it is a compilation from multiple visits over a month long period….I will find one item here and there but never a lot all together. I was kind of stunned last week when I managed to find some cute kitsch to buy all in one day! Check it out!

While this Nambe candlestick holder is not really kitschy or vintage, I really loved it for it’s clean modern look. We have a few other Nambe things and I thought this would go along nicely.

100_5395

Wheeeeee! Bubble lights! These are the newer Shiny Brite products from Christopher Radko. I LOVE how he still uses the vintage graphics though….so neat!

100_5386

Here is a pic of the bubble lights, I do not think they were ever actually used.

100_5384

Look like I’ll be ready for Christmas when it comes! hee! I could not resist getting this vintage Josef Originals Santa music box when I saw him, I thought he was adorable.

100_5387

He still works perfectly and is in great condition! Here is a picture of the ‘Josef’ tag.

100_5391

I was shocked to see this cool old ballerina print at the thrift. I have never seen this line of prints before – it is marked “Carina”. I super love the frame too…..sooooo 50s with that gold splatter all over the front.

100_5382

And lastly……..**********angels singing*********** I actually found a vintage flamingo figurine!!!! I was completely stunned to not only find a flamingo at the thrift store, but that it was not broken was equally stunning. As we were walking around with the flamingo some lady ran up and accosted us yelling, “Is that Hull” “Is that Hull” over and over again…it was really weird…..we told her “No, it is not marked at all” and ran for cover! I am happy to report back that we did make it out alive and no flamingos were damaged by Hull seekers.

100_5393

*fingers crossed* for a bunch more kitschy finds next time I hit up the thrifts!

19 Responses to My Kitsch-Tastic Day At The Thrifts!

July 25, 2013 at 10:23 am

What great stuff! Even new, that Radko stuff is super expensive. That one is a score on many different levels!

• Sara In AZ Reply

July 25, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Thanks Eartha…and I know – that Radko stuff is CRAZY expensive isn’t it!?! I loved finding those bubble lights for SO cheap!

July 25, 2013 at 11:00 am

Woo, those were great finds, Sara! I am glad you managed to rescue the flamingo from the crazy lady, LOL!

• Sara In AZ Reply

July 25, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Thank you Andrea! Hee! That crazy lady was practically stalking us all around the store…..we almost had to do a belly crawl to get outta the place! 🙂

3. Kim Campbell Reply

July 25, 2013 at 1:44 pm

The flamingo is beautiful!!!!

• Sara In AZ Reply

July 25, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Thanks so much Kim…..I was just stunned beyond words when I saw it just sitting there on the shelf….it is so beautiful!

4. Tasha Reply

July 25, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Great finds! I love Nambe, vintage or not.

My mom, who can appreciate a good kitschy item now and again, had that same flamingo in candlestick form when I was growing up! One hot summer when they were away for weeks they came home to the taper candle that it held arched over, nearly touching the flamingo’s feet. She thought it was so funny that they left it that way for a long time!

• Sara In AZ Reply

July 25, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Thank you Tasha! I know…Nambe rocks doesn’t it!

And your Mom’s candlestick….hee-larious! Thank you so much for telling the story, I really got a kick out of it….now if only you had pics of it!!!

5. Jenny Kuller Reply

July 25, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Fabulous stuff, lady! SCORE on the bird! I think you and me should go out thrifting sometime…we have some NEW Goodwills on my side of town that I’ve been doing pretty good at lately…love to have you come along!!! <3

• Sara In AZ Reply

July 25, 2013 at 8:53 pm

OMG Jenny! YES!!! I would love to go thrifting with you…..I swear you are the master of thrifts girl! We will, for sure, have to plan something!

Can you even believe how many Goodwills they are opening up lately?!? Where is all the merch coming from???

6. tammyCA Reply

July 25, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Oh, wow that you found that flamingo…and not cracked/broken and for that price! I have never seen one in all my thrifting years and finally I bit the bullet and bought some vintage on etsy/ebay. I was so sad to receive the one from eBay with a broken neck and head…the seller packed it in bubble wrap alright but did not wrap it securely around the fragile neck. Even ‘tho I got a refund I couldn’t just toss it out (it is such a beauty) so I superglued it and tied a ribbon around it’s neck to hide the chips & cracks. If you ever watch old Esther Williams movies you will see flamingos and bird pottery featured in the opening credits..I believe those are from the Calif potteries that were so prevalent in the ’40s.

• Sara In AZ Reply

July 26, 2013 at 12:11 pm

I know Tammy….I was flabbergasted to say the least that the flamingo was STILL in one piece. How it survived the trip there and the thrift store process is beyond me! I am still shocked I actually found a flamingo!!!

Ugh, so sorry about the flamingo that arrived broken….so, so sad. If you ever feel the inclination you probably could have it professionally repaired – but if it was me I’d probably do just the same thing you did. I know what you mean about those fragile necks – they really do have to be packed with EXTRA care for shipping.

I will keep my eyes peeled for the flamingo/bird pottery in the Esther Williams movies….I’ve never noticed that before – thanks for the heads up!

7. Joann J. Lopez Reply

July 26, 2013 at 3:33 am

Great post, but what really stands out most for me is that nice ballerina painting. The style really evokes the 50s — it won’t look out of place when you put it side by side with works of that time. 🙂

• Sara In AZ Reply

July 26, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Thanks Joann, yes I really do love that ballerina pic too!

8. Sherree Reply

July 26, 2013 at 9:13 am

I love all that you got! It is like that here, too; sometimes pickings are slim 🙁 I have that flamingo, too. I think it was a garage sale find. I love your ballerina picture. Where will you put it?

• Sara In AZ Reply

July 26, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Thank you Sherree! Well go you for finding a flamingo at a garage sale!

Sadly, I just threw the ballerina pic up on the wall in a random spot for now……my house is just a mess right now becsaue we are in such limbo waiting for that *right* house to FINALLY pop up…..so pretty much nothing is put together the way I would like it to be at this time. Just you wait…when we finally find our house everyone will probably be sick to death of seeing pics of it! 😉

9. Dave Rice Reply

July 31, 2013 at 8:28 pm

The candlestick holder looks even BETTER on that table. Youre doin GREAt finding good stuff! keep up the good work, Lucky!

• Dave Rice Reply

August 1, 2013 at 12:54 am

Sorry. I emphasized “better” when I meant “THAT TABLE”. If I havent cleared this up yet … (not even sure I understand now… lol) I really like the TABLE that your “new” vase is on. WWhheewww…. glad thats behind me.