Home » Decade » 1970 » My Vintage Volkswagen Westfalia – Progress Report #6

July 3, 2013

My Vintage Volkswagen Westfalia – Progress Report #6

By Andrea

Y’all, I am getting so excited with the work we’ve been doing to the Westi, I can hardly stand it! I’ve got a few completed odds and ends for you this week.

20130702-231657.jpg

This was how the sink cabinet/ice box looked before. You can see the trim was all wavy, and had seen better days.

20130702-231813.jpg

Here’s the sink cabinet now! I’ve replaced the trim, and the upper handle. Unfortunately, I can’t replace the lower handle due to the icebox, so we’ll have to live with that.

20130702-232206.jpg

Here’s one of the front door panels before …

20130702-232322.jpg

And here’s one of the panels after! I am so so super pleased with how these panels came out, I can hardly stand it. I can’t wait to install them in the doors.

And finally, this one’s a pretty big odd and end …

20130702-232512.jpg

Here’s a before shot of the super 80s linoleum floor that had definitely seen better days. We bandied about a few ideas for the floor, but a friend of mine was gracious enough to offer some light coloured laminate flooring that she had – and if there’s one thing I love, it’s the look of lots of wood! So here’s the newly installed floor!

20130702-232841.jpg

I hope you all enjoyed this week’s update! I’ve got lots in store for next week, too!

8 Responses to My Vintage Volkswagen Westfalia – Progress Report #6

1. Sara In AZ Reply

July 3, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Wow, it is really starting to come along Andrea….that floor looks great and the sink/icebox cabinet looks a million times better now! Go you!!!

July 3, 2013 at 5:55 pm

That floor looks great!

Just out of curiosity, what was the original flooring in a typical van?

• Andrea Reply

July 4, 2013 at 12:35 am

Thanks, Ruth! I believe it was linoleum of some sort. I saw a couple of little bits peeking out from under the 80s stuff. Lino was one of the ideas we had tossed around for flooring, but we had an awful time finding any Lino that wasn’t awful. Today’s taste is definitely not my taste, that’s for sure!

3. AtomicVault.etsy.com Reply

July 8, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Oh I can see its going to be dangerous for us to be sponsors…I already really want a camper, now I want it more!! 🙂

• Andrea Reply

July 8, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Thanks! Be sure to check out my post this Wednesday – I have a tute coming up that could be handy for you if you ever do get a camper! 🙂

4. Jack Reply

September 3, 2013 at 3:50 pm

The original floor in my ’73 was plywood, burlap, linoleum.
    Grey linoleum with a pattern of small (4mm) pebbles on it.

All the furniture was removed from my camper last Fri. Beneath
    the 1980s replacement floor was rust and termites. So I am
    researching replacing the wood floor again. Thanks for your fine
    articles and photos.

• Andrea Reply

September 6, 2013 at 10:42 am

Ahh, that was the original lino I saw peeking out around the edges, then. The 80s lino that was on top was so solidly glued down, I couldn’t get a good look! Best of luck to you on your Westi restoration, Jack!