Home » Decade » 1950 » Another Kitsch-Tastic Day At The Thrifts!

August 8, 2013

Another Kitsch-Tastic Day At The Thrifts!

By Sara In AZ

Whoa y’all….I have no idea what is happening at the thrift stores around here this past month, but the kitschy finds have been really good in July! Does everybody do spring cleaning in July around Arizona or something? Anyway, I only go about once a week so I can’t even imagine all the great stuff I miss out on the days I don’t go! Let’s check out what I found last week…..yes, all in the same day again!

I found this super cute New Mexico souvenir tablecloth. I believe it is vintage as it has a stamp at the bottom that says “An Original Yucca Print” and the fabric this is printed on is more of an oatmeal looking cloth rather than the bright white fabric they use for the re-pops today.

100_5409

I thought these little kitchen theme valance curtains were adorable…..totally, totally 60s!

100_5411

Here is a close up of the pattern.

100_5413

And I figured even if I do not use the curtains down the road I will probably use these super heavy duty brass curtain rings….let me tell you those suckers are meant to last!

100_5415

I thought this little Christmas planter was SO cute, and she was only 50 cents with the ‘Christmas in July’ sale that was going on that day.

100_5419

This Fire King ‘Tulip’ Bowl must have been fated to be mine or something. I just happened to be coming around the corner when the guy wheeled the cart out with all the “new” stuff he was going to put on the shelves. I went around the cart and lo and behold there sat the Tulip bowl and in pretty pristine condition too! I was amazed!

100_5418

And lastly….the most shocking find of the day……a spaghetti swag light….just sitting there in the middle of the store all lonely in the middle of a table. I ran over to it exclaiming “It’s a spaghetti light!” “It’s a spaghetti light”………and I’m pretty sure that everyone thought I was yammering on about wanting Spaghetti-O’s or something. ha! When I went up to check out the cashier said the light hadn’t even been in the store 30 minutes. Crazy!

100_5405

Will this kitschy streak continue at the thrifts???? Gosh, I sure hope so!

12 Responses to Another Kitsch-Tastic Day At The Thrifts!

1. Beth Reply

August 8, 2013 at 9:35 am

What a haul! I’m so envious…especially of the deal on the spaghetti light. If I were you, I’d add a second day of thrifting each week. Please share a photo of the lamp when it’s hung!

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 8, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Oh gosh, thanks so much Beth! I know, I’ll have to try to go thrifting more often……you just never know what you are missing out on!

2. Jennifer G. Miller Reply

August 8, 2013 at 10:46 am

I really love the tulip bowl! That is such a deal to snatch up! I love the planter, but I think it’s actually the Child Jesus as the Good Shepherd.

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 8, 2013 at 6:31 pm

I was excited when I found the tulip bowl Jennifer, I already had another smaller one so now I have a set! And thanks for the heads up on the planter!

3. MadgesHatbox.com Reply

August 8, 2013 at 11:04 am

Great haul! I collect state table cloths. Very jealous right now.

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 8, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Thanks so much…..I have to admit I have never seen a state tablecloth before at a thrift….I was pretty excited!

August 8, 2013 at 2:30 pm

I might seriously be swooning over that tablecloth!!! Whoa!

5. Jenny Kuller Reply

August 8, 2013 at 4:52 pm

GREAT stuff lady!!!

That NM tablecloth was probably made in the 1940s; it’s a really good one too! Kinda hard to find!

KILLER light!!!! Congrats on the good junk!!!
    Jenny

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 8, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Awwww, thanks Jenny! I was thinking you’d know the info on that tablecloth you expert you!

And yeah, super stunned to find that light! Crazy!

Gotta meet up soon to do a thrift extravaganza! 🙂

August 9, 2013 at 1:57 am

Wow, Sara! I am absolutely jealous of that Fire King bowl! I’ve never seen one in a thrift here, and I’ve seen ones in far worse conditions at antique shows for $30 and up! Those curtains are absolutely adorable as well, and I love the tablecloth, too.

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 9, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Well thanks Andrea! I was pretty shocked when I saw that tulip bowl just sitting there on the cart like that….and I thought the same thing…..I’ve seen ones in way more horrible shape for WAY more $$$!