Home » Decade » 1950 » Finds Wednesday!

August 21, 2013

Finds Wednesday!

By Andrea

Usually garage sale season is the best time to score vintage stuff around here, however this year, the pickins have been a little slim! I’ve finally got some finds to share, though.

20130820-145301.jpg

I was super stoked to find these two sets of glasses (I did get more of the same that aren’t shown here). I love black and gold glassware, they go well with the partial set of black and gold glassware I already have, and I now have enough pieces to use for everyday, yahoo!

20130820-145931.jpg

I bought these Life magazines at a garage sale that had boxes upon boxes of them – I would say the majority of the issues from the 60s. The seller had them priced at 5/$1, and if you bought less than 5, he was still going to charge you $1, so these were the 5 I went with.

20130820-150130.jpg

From the same garage sale I also got these two Eaton’s catalogues. I looooove browsing old catalogues so I couldn’t pass these up. Stay tuned for some entertaining scans from these catalogues!

20130820-150256.jpg

Finally, this sweater excited me to no end, because it actually fits me! I am 5’11” tall, which can make wearing vintage a little tricky, since the sleeves are usually nowhere near long enough. However, this one was handmade, and apparently custom made for someone with long arms! I also love that there’s a lot of black in the design, since I wear a lot of black, and it’s not always very common in vintage wear. I am a little sad as the vintage metal zipper is starting to wear quite a bit at the bottom, and will probably have to be replaced.

I did have one more find, however it’s so awesome it deserves it’s own post! Here’s a little sneak peek though, can you guess what it is?

20130820-150831.jpg

Stay tuned for the full reveal of my awesome find!

11 Responses to Finds Wednesday!

1. Sara In AZ Reply

August 21, 2013 at 2:47 am

Whoa…it looks like you have a pretty good haul there Andrea….those glasses are SO cool…..and wow, I LOVE old catalogs to bits – can’t get enough of ’em…..and that sweater is amazeballs! Way to go!!!

Hmmmmmmm, your secret find…..could it be old Formica????

• Andrea Reply

August 21, 2013 at 11:04 am

Thanks, Sara! You are partially right about my secret find … but it is on something … 😉

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 21, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Ooohhhhhh, TOTALLY excited to see!!!

August 21, 2013 at 7:44 am

I can’t wait to see what the secret find is! I am so excited for you over those catalogs. Those are one of my favorite things.

• Andrea Reply

August 21, 2013 at 11:05 am

Me too, Eartha! The only bad thing about old catalogues is I find myself really wishing to order from them!

3. Cindy Reply

August 21, 2013 at 8:40 am

Ohh, I looove old magazines! Lucky you!

• Andrea Reply

August 21, 2013 at 11:05 am

Thanks, Cindy, I am a total sucker for old magazines!

4. Crystal in Texas Reply

August 21, 2013 at 9:04 am

That sweater is absolutely beautiful! I know what you mean about finding vintage that fits…I’m almost 5’10” myself! I love old magazines and that skateboarder is amazing! Great finds all around, yea for you!

• Andrea Reply

August 21, 2013 at 11:07 am

Ahh, Crystal, you would definitely feel my pain, then! Nothing worse than trying on a gorgeous piece of vintage and finding that the sleeves are nowhere near long enough! The skateboarder cover was my first pick out of the piles of magazines, it is such a fantastic cover!

August 21, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Oh holy snap! Can’t wait to see what the big find is!

Those glasses are awesome. What a great find, I have to admit I am a little jealous. 🙂

• Andrea Reply

August 22, 2013 at 10:46 am

I am pretty excited by the big find, Ruth! Kinda funny that you are jealous of my glasses – as I am jealous of your World’s Fair glasses, LOL!