Home » Decade » 1950 » Finds Wednesday!

August 21, 2013

Finds Wednesday!

By Andrea

Usually garage sale season is the best time to score vintage stuff around here, however this year, the pickins have been a little slim! I’ve finally got some finds to share, though.

I was super stoked to find these two sets of glasses (I did get more of the same that aren’t shown here). I love black and gold glassware, they go well with the partial set of black and gold glassware I already have, and I now have enough pieces to use for everyday, yahoo!

I bought these Life magazines at a garage sale that had boxes upon boxes of them – I would say the majority of the issues from the 60s. The seller had them priced at 5/$1, and if you bought less than 5, he was still going to charge you $1, so these were the 5 I went with.

From the same garage sale I also got these two Eaton’s catalogues. I looooove browsing old catalogues so I couldn’t pass these up. Stay tuned for some entertaining scans from these catalogues!

Finally, this sweater excited me to no end, because it actually fits me! I am 5’11” tall, which can make wearing vintage a little tricky, since the sleeves are usually nowhere near long enough. However, this one was handmade, and apparently custom made for someone with long arms! I also love that there’s a lot of black in the design, since I wear a lot of black, and it’s not always very common in vintage wear. I am a little sad as the vintage metal zipper is starting to wear quite a bit at the bottom, and will probably have to be replaced.

I did have one more find, however it’s so awesome it deserves it’s own post! Here’s a little sneak peek though, can you guess what it is?

Stay tuned for the full reveal of my awesome find!

11 Responses to Finds Wednesday!

1. Sara In AZ Reply

August 21, 2013 at 2:47 am

Whoa…it looks like you have a pretty good haul there Andrea….those glasses are SO cool…..and wow, I LOVE old catalogs to bits – can’t get enough of ’em…..and that sweater is amazeballs! Way to go!!!

Hmmmmmmm, your secret find…..could it be old Formica????

• Andrea Reply

August 21, 2013 at 11:04 am

Thanks, Sara! You are partially right about my secret find … but it is on something … 😉

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 21, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Ooohhhhhh, TOTALLY excited to see!!!

August 21, 2013 at 7:44 am

I can’t wait to see what the secret find is! I am so excited for you over those catalogs. Those are one of my favorite things.

• Andrea Reply

August 21, 2013 at 11:05 am

Me too, Eartha! The only bad thing about old catalogues is I find myself really wishing to order from them!

3. Cindy Reply

August 21, 2013 at 8:40 am

Ohh, I looove old magazines! Lucky you!

• Andrea Reply

August 21, 2013 at 11:05 am

Thanks, Cindy, I am a total sucker for old magazines!

4. Crystal in Texas Reply

August 21, 2013 at 9:04 am

That sweater is absolutely beautiful! I know what you mean about finding vintage that fits…I’m almost 5’10” myself! I love old magazines and that skateboarder is amazing! Great finds all around, yea for you!

• Andrea Reply

August 21, 2013 at 11:07 am

Ahh, Crystal, you would definitely feel my pain, then! Nothing worse than trying on a gorgeous piece of vintage and finding that the sleeves are nowhere near long enough! The skateboarder cover was my first pick out of the piles of magazines, it is such a fantastic cover!

August 21, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Oh holy snap! Can’t wait to see what the big find is!

Those glasses are awesome. What a great find, I have to admit I am a little jealous. 🙂

• Andrea Reply

August 22, 2013 at 10:46 am

I am pretty excited by the big find, Ruth! Kinda funny that you are jealous of my glasses – as I am jealous of your World’s Fair glasses, LOL!