Home » Decade » 1950 » March 1956 : Let’s All Go On A Honeymoon Trip With Sally Jo and Dean – Part 1

August 15, 2013

March 1956 : Let’s All Go On A Honeymoon Trip With Sally Jo and Dean – Part 1

By Sara In AZ

I have to admit I have a little obsession…….vintage scrapbooks. Yes, I fully admit it – I love old scrapbooks. Some of you may have seen my post a long time back on a vintage 1930s wedding album scrapbook I found at an estate sale….oh my gosh, that book was epic!

I don’t quite know why, but I am fascinated by looking back at these memories of long ago…seeing what life was like for these mysterious people from the past. When I came across this honeymoon scrapbook at a flea market awhile back I was intrigued. I spotted this little leather book  from across the booth and once I saw it was a souvenir honeymoon album with a stamp from an alligator farm in Arkansas….well I pretty much had to have it then!

The honeymoon scrapbook was on the smaller side, but since there are about 40 images I scanned from it I will break the posts on this scrapbook up over a few weeks……and sadly, Sally Jo and Dean forgot their camera at home so we have mostly only paper ephemera.

These are the honeymoon memories of Sally Jo and Dean Kilpatrick from late March 1956.

They lived in Aurora Illinois but only made it to Pontiac Illinois that first night ( just under 100 miles away)…….seems like they must have gotten a late start though if they got there at 1:30 in the morning!

h3 pontiac motel

This was a postcard they sent along the way. Hee-larious!

h28 pontiac

h29 pontiac

I tried to look up the Mark Twain restaurant in Cairo Illinois where they ate (and where she apparently loved the food!) but I could not find any information or images of it anywhere.

We are off to Kentucky now and the Kingsway Motel…..I LOVE how she remembers that there was a ‘Coke’ machine right outside their hotel room door.

h5 kingsway hotel

Old matchbook cover from the Kingsway Motel.

h36 castle kingsway    h36 castle kingsway x

Here is a vintage postcard image of the Kingsway from Flickr member Jordan Smith. I adore how the exterior is painted all different pastel colors!

And here is a current image of the motel off of Google Maps – no more pastel colors, but it really looks like it has been well maintained.

kingsway now

Finally, here is a letter that Sally Jo sent back home to someone….her folks….his folks….hard to say!

h25 kingsway

h26 kingsway

Come back next Thursday for Part 2 of Sally Jo and Dean’s honeymoon trip!

15 Responses to March 1956 : Let’s All Go On A Honeymoon Trip With Sally Jo and Dean – Part 1

1. Lassie Reply

August 15, 2013 at 9:27 am

I love this, thanks for sharing! wonder how the couple are doing now, if they’re still alive, how their lives turned out. <3

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 15, 2013 at 7:47 pm

So happy that you enjoyed Lassie! I am super curious about the couple too…..I tried looking them up to no avail. Maybe someone will see this and let us know!

2. dkzody Reply

August 15, 2013 at 2:10 pm

My sister married in late 1952, and although no longer married to each other, they are still alive. My sister is 78 and my ex brother in law is 79 so it is very likely this couple is alive. Still married? That’s another question.

Love peeking into other’s lives. I wrote an historical novel based on the 50 years of records of a women’s club in our church. The women were quite fascinating and it was fun to conjure up missing details.

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 15, 2013 at 7:51 pm

I was wondering if they were still actually married as well dkzody……it seems like they would still be alive….but then why did the little scrapbook get left behind??? It’s all such a mystery…..I tried looking them up but I found nothing.

Your novel sounds just fabulous….I’ll just bet it is a great read!

August 16, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Oh this is too neat! I can’t wait to see part two!

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 16, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Stay tuned Andrea….more fun to come! 🙂

4. AtomicVault.etsy.com Reply

August 16, 2013 at 1:45 pm

That is the coolest thing ever! Now I really want to go on a road trip. Its sort of too bad we all have cell phones, what would you do? Print out your text messages to back home and put them in a scrap book? 🙂

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 16, 2013 at 1:54 pm

So happy you are enjoying it Colleen!

And I know, I think about that too….hand written letters or kitschy scrapbooks……could they really exist in the future??? I mean I guess we’ll have the fancy scrapbooks they do today…..but I adore these old fashioned kind of scrapbooks where little bits of this and that were saved along the way……I can’t imagine a printed e-mail having the same effect.

5. rae Reply

August 17, 2013 at 1:23 am

i am SO into vintage scrapbooks! i would have made a beeline to this one if i had seen it at the flea market. i LOVE that cover! bummer that they aren’t any photos, but the ephemera is neat! i love that hotels used to have postcards made, i feel like you don’t see that much anymore. i guess because hotels are much uglier now!

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 18, 2013 at 11:58 am

It was the cover that drew me in Rae…..I was transfixed! You are right about the motels not making postcards anymore….I hadn’t really thought about that, but that is so true – they don’t relly do it anymore. I guess there is nothing interesting or unique about seeing the same Holiday Inn Express in every postcard along the way!

6. Kim Campbell Reply

August 17, 2013 at 10:55 am

This is so neat!

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 18, 2013 at 11:59 am

So happy you are enjoying it Kim!

7. Pingback: March 1956 : Let’s All Go On A Honeymoon Trip With Sally Jo and Dean – Part 2 | No Pattern Required

8. Pingback: March 1956 : Let’s All Go On A Honeymoon Trip With Sally Jo and Dean – Part 3 | No Pattern Required

9. Pingback: March 1956 : Let’s All Go On A Honeymoon Trip With Sally Jo and Dean – Part 4 | No Pattern Required