Home » Decade » 1950 » Tuesday Etsy Roundup – The Fee Fi Faux Fum! Edition

August 27, 2013

Tuesday Etsy Roundup – The Fee Fi Faux Fum! Edition

By Eartha Kitsch

Not to worry! There are no scary giants around here. Unless you count how giant my Etsy “favorites” list is becoming!

This week’s roundup is about all things faux. I don’t know why but I have always loved things that look like other things. I can remember sitting at my Grandmother’s dining table as a kid and not being able to keep my hands off of the bowl of rather convincing waxy fake fruit in the middle. Each time that I picked up that bunch of plastic grapes, I was always convinced that they’d finally be real. Sometimes fakes can be icky but when fake is done well, I consider it an art form. Let’s check out some of this week’s Etsy items in the delightfully faux category.

First up, from seller animalheadvintage:

fauxdress

Of course, this beauty of a dress isn’t fake at all. It’s 100% stunning! But don’t you just love the  wide trompe l’oeil belt? Aqua and orange is my very favorite color combo – and from the looks of things, giraffes love it too! You’d turn heads and get compliments everywhere that you go in this dress, trust me.

Next up, from seller vintage transfers:

fauxwoodcannisters

Okay, so I have a love affair with all things wood grain, and if you take metal and make it look like wood grain? Well, don’t set me a place at the dinner table because I’ve done gone and sailed over the moon! I have a set of canisters just like these in my kitchen and I love them.

The next item is from seller medusacurls:

cherrynecklace

Don’t the cherries in this necklace look just luscious enough to bake a pie with? And I love the gold accent leaves. This would be a beautiful necklace for Fall. Or for Winter, Spring and Summer. Or a season that you make up in your head just to wear this incredible necklace. You get the drift. Stunning!

Next up, from seller AnatomyVintage:

fauxfurcoat

This fake ocelot fur coat is amazing and it’s in a less-common animal pattern for vintage coats. And how much do I love fake fur? Almost as much as animals love it! Wink. Wink. I love the A-line shape and the full collar. And you’d never get your coat confused with the hundreds of  black wool coats thrown on the host’s bed at dinner parties.

Next up, from seller gillardgurl:

redchair

Faux leather, y’all! See my previous comment about animals PLUS this vintage sling chair with chrome frame is simply perfection! I just love the lines and that punch of color – just the right shade of red. I’m pretty sure it would steal the show in any room. Looks darned comfortable too!

The next item is from seller PurpleDaisyJewelry:

fauxrhinestone

Kapow! Rhinestones! We don’t often think about it but rhinestones do a pretty decent job of filling in for their more expensive counterparts. If diamonds are a girl’s best friend than rhinestones would have to be her second and even better friend when the first friend meets a new boyfriend and never calls anymore. This necklace and earring set is just stunning! I love the red, white and blue combo and it’s a color trio that you don’t see every day in vintage jewelry.

And finally, from seller RetroKombinat:

birdnutsdispenser

Check out this kooky yet fabulous nut dispenser from Germany. I’m sure you’ve noticed that it has a whole lot of faux going for it. You’ve got a faux bird made of faux wood that is covered in a sprinkling of faux nuts. Someone get the smelling salts because ole Eartha is about to take a dive over this one!

I’ve never seen anything like this and the Seller cracks me up with his description: “Inexplicably, this peanut dispenser is in the shape of a bird-like creature, which ‘vomits’ nuts into your hand. When I purchased this from a local dealer she explained (with a straight face) that this was a more hygienic way of consuming nuts. Right.”

I hope that you’ve enjoyed this walk on the faux side. Please click on the sellers’ links above to see more info about these great items! I think you’d love to see them arrive at your home. No foolin’!

19 Responses to Tuesday Etsy Roundup – The Fee Fi Faux Fum! Edition

1. Sherree Reply

August 27, 2013 at 9:23 am

Eartha am I losing my mind? I thought I read this post a few days ago? I even remember you saying that you have those canisters in your kitchen. Oh, and I love that “fur” coat 🙂

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

August 27, 2013 at 9:45 am

Oh goodness! That’s strange! Maybe you have psychic powers? We’d be happy to accept the upcoming lottery numbers, by the way. I promise to buy you that coat if we win. 🙂

August 27, 2013 at 10:57 am

Heh, I have those canisters, but without the faux, mine are just chrome. Love that necklace, and I am cracking up over the “hygienic” bird nut dispenser!

3. Anatomy Vintage Reply

August 27, 2013 at 11:29 am

These tromp l’oeil finds are making my day! That dress with the faux belt is divine, and I can just see the necklace being worn with the coat. Thank you! You have a new fan!

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

August 27, 2013 at 8:43 pm

That *would * be the perfect combo! And thanks for letting me share your coat. If it was my size, I’d be ALL over it.

4. Carrie Reply

August 27, 2013 at 11:30 am

Wow, I guess great (vintage loving) minds think alike! I have the exact red vinyl chair and the nut dispenser. 😉 But oh what I would give to find a trompe l’oeil dress or shirt while thrifting. Fantastic picks Eartha!

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

August 27, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Get out! Wow, that hilarious! Please just sit in your chair and have a handful of nuts for me. You lucky lady! : )

• Carrie Reply

August 28, 2013 at 11:33 am

Will do! Hey, maybe even one day I will be able to sit in the chair, eating a handful of nuts, while wearing my thrifted trompe l’oeil dress. 🙂

5. Sara In AZ Reply

August 27, 2013 at 12:40 pm

That dress is completely cool…..and that nut dispenser is killing me!!! Cool finds!

August 27, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Nut dispenser! Oh my goodness! I am pretty sure I have always wanted a bird that vomits nuts into my hand. After all, we are now the proud owners of the Puking Kitty Saucy Boat:

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

August 27, 2013 at 8:44 pm

You are STILL killing me with that gravy boat!

7. Linda Schekman Reply

August 27, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Yikes! I threw away a nut dispenser like the one above! Or did I take it to the thrift shop in Berlin? ;)))

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

August 28, 2013 at 9:15 am

Ha! Only the nut dispenser knows for sure! : )

8. AtomicVault Reply

August 28, 2013 at 12:53 am

Faux, faux, faux! One of my favorite words! Still remember the day I had to explain to a colleague that no, we will not get in trouble for selling faux (she pronounced it “fox”) ivory 🙂

9. Kalamity Kelli Reply

August 31, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Why didn’t I know you had this site too?? I love 50’s stuff and you take all of the work out of it for me! Now I’m an even bigger fan!

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

August 31, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Hey Kelli! Welcome to No Pattern Required! Retro Ruth owns the joint but I’ve recently been asked to be a contributor. So happy to be here with this great group of gals! 🙂