Home » Decade » 1970 » Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Modern Masterpiece in Nashville, TN

August 25, 2013

Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Modern Masterpiece in Nashville, TN

By Eartha Kitsch

This week’s offering has haunted my dreams this week. My husband and I have been thinking of possibly purchasing a new home and have been running up against way too many badly updated vintage homes. It’s soul crushing to say the least. Then one morning early, this house came on the market. We both completely flipped our lids because it is so unlike anything that you see in Nashville. I decided sight unseen that I must have this house at any cost. In the end, we just didn’t feel comfortable with where the house is. Oh, I whined…let me tell you. I wanted to hoist that house up and haul it to my backyard and never let it go. I hope that this home has an appreciative future owner in the wings and they’ll both make each other very happy. As for me? I’ll just have to remember it fondly as one does a short-lived Summer romance.

Okay, enough of my babbling! Let me take you on a tour – because it’s fabulous!

bordeaux1

This house is located at 4204 Kings Court in Nashville, Tennessee in an area called Bordeaux. It is a four bedroom, three bath home and is about 4,312 square feet. It was built in 1971, the listing price is $249,900 and it is being sold by Remax Elite. From the listing:

Contemporary 70’s Style. Featured in Jet Magazine. Well maintained on 1 Acre on quiet cul-de-sac in Royal Crest. Custom Built-ins, Endless Closet space, Full Finished Basement with a Guest Suite, Office, & Rec Room with Bar. New $20K Roof & Paint in 2013!

Thanks to my friend Lisa who is a researching genius, I learned that this home was built for Dr. Harold Jordan who was the first African American commissioner of health in Tennessee and is listed in Who’s Who Among African Americans. It’s now owned by a local rock star. It’s had quite the fascinating pedigree for sure!

Front Porch

bordeaux2

Foyer with skylights

bordeaux3

I love the blue up at the ceiling. I’m sure that the designer didn’t have this in mind, but in the South, we call ceilings painted this color “haint blue” because it’s supposed to keep the troubled spirits who have not passed away from harming those who live in and visit the home. We usually use this shade of blue on front porch ceilings (we nip those spirits in the bud right at the front door so maybe it works with foyers too?) but I love the color in this beautiful foyer with those skylights. Such a stunning pairing.

Kitchen

bordeaux4

Dining Room

bordeaux5

Living Room

bordeaux6

bordeauxliving

One of the Bedrooms

bordeaux8

Bathrooms

bordeaux9

bordeaux7

Have you ever seen a flowered shower surround like that? We’ve been seeing these sunken tubs a lot in houses during our search. Does anyone have one of these? Do you have to get on your stomach to clean them? If open toilet lids are considered bad Feng Shui, then what does a bidet do to the flow of a home? Do tell!

Veranda

bordeaux10

So what do you guys and girls think? Do you love this house as much as I do? Will it always linger in my mind? Which parts of this home do you like?

If you’d like to learn more about this home or to schedule a showing, please click here to go the Realtor’s site. And if you do buy it, please invite me over so that I can recline in the floor and stare at that dreamy foyer ceiling! I won’t make a peep. You’ll never know that I’m there.

19 Responses to Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Modern Masterpiece in Nashville, TN

1. Shawn Norton Reply

August 25, 2013 at 5:55 am

EK, I had no idea you were in Nashville! (I first read your piece on knotty pine when I bough my 1956 ranch last december). Donelson/Two Rivers and Madison (Greycroft area) are two great neighborhoods that are a mix of as-built stunners and strange renos and most of the yards are over an acre. Keep digging, you’ll find one!
    Pristina, the 1960 Rollohome that was featured on the blog back in June, is sitting in my driveway in Madison!! You are welcome to come check her out, if you like!

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

August 25, 2013 at 8:31 am

Well, small world! I would love to come see the Rollohome. We’re all so glad that it finally made it to you! What a harrowing experience, I’m sure! Please email me at earthakitsch(at)gmail(dot)com and I’ll stop by and see y’all one day!

You are definitely right about Donelson and certain areas of Madison. We’ve looked at some homes in both but haven’t found that right one yet.

2. Amy Reply

August 25, 2013 at 6:02 am

It is fabulous! Even better is all the original furniture inside.

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

August 25, 2013 at 8:34 am

It’s definitely decorated perfectly, isn’t it? I bet a person could REALLY have fun decorating that much square footage with vintage finds! Sigh…

3. Mary Toodles Reply

August 25, 2013 at 7:09 am

Cool House. Just curious, what weren’t you comfortable about? re the house, neighborhood?…

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

August 25, 2013 at 8:33 am

I didn’t see that 360 view! Thanks for the tip! Oh, and yes…it was the area that it’s in. When I pulled it up on Crime Mapping, there were so many recent crime icons that it looked like someone had thrown confetti on my computer screen. Just heartbreaking. We’re already in a so-so area so I don’t want to end up in another one. I want to be able to take walks at night and things like that.

• Planet Claire Reply

January 8, 2014 at 8:15 am

this home is listed in Bordeaux, a neighborhood of Nashville which has a dropout rate of 50%, lots of anger in the area, drug and gang activity. all that said, this home is actually located in Enchanted Hills, a beautiful and well-maintained area of Bordeaux. Enchanted Hills was made very popular back in the 80s. it has maintained its glory, unlike many of the neighborhoods that sprang up in surrounding Nashville areas during the 70s and 80s. i grew up in the Priest Lake Park area near Antioch in Nashville. the area got so bad all the shopping malls and retail spaces have shut down. it’s been horribly sad to watch.

4. Mary Toodles Reply

August 25, 2013 at 7:12 am

I didn’t see an option to edit my post. The link to the realtor gives a cool 360 like view of the house. Thanks for sharing. I wonder if the tub has steps inside?…

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

August 25, 2013 at 9:38 am

Oh and no steps at all. You just kind of take a leap down into the tub! 🙂

5. Kristy Hansen Reply

August 25, 2013 at 9:17 am

I love everything! Awesome house. I especially love the bathrooms- that flowery surround in the blue one is great. The green one is my absolute favorite thing in the house. I know it’s silly but you just don’t see green fixtures like that very often. Love it! It’s a shame that the neighborhood didn’t measure up.

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

August 25, 2013 at 9:39 am

It’s not silly at all. I agree with you. That bathroom with those bright grassy green fixtures is one of my favorite parts of the house.

6. Betty Crafter Reply

August 25, 2013 at 10:05 am

It really is a stunning house!! I’m sure you’ll find just the right one for you.

August 25, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Gorgeous house! Too bad about the location – since that’s the one thing you can’t change about a house 🙁

8. Sara In AZ Reply

August 25, 2013 at 1:31 pm

That seriously is one amazeballs house…..so, so sorry that the neighborhood is also not amazeballs…..uggghhhhh.

9. Maureen Reply

August 25, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Gorgeous house, and the furniture is unbelievable! The local rock star has great taste 🙂

August 25, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Oh god, too bad! But hang in there, I am sure something will come up!

11. Jen Reply

August 25, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Oh, it’s marvellous! I love everything about it and can’t blame your mind from lingering on it. And an acre…oooooo.

12. dkzody Reply

August 25, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Those bathrooms are just amazing. I would love to do my 1976 house over with those colors.