Home » Decade » 1960 » Finds Wednesday!

September 11, 2013

Finds Wednesday!

By Andrea

My finds this week are not quite as exciting as my new kitchen table, but I’ve still got some pretty sweet finds to share with you this week!

20130910-153746.jpg

This score excited me a lot – this box is completely filled with Better Homes and Gardens magazines from the 1960s! (With a couple of 70s issues in there as well.) My only regret is that I didn’t grab the box of 50s issues as well.

20130910-154149.jpg

These were a few interesting new from the box. I’ll be sharing these with you on upcoming blog posts!

20130910-154256.jpg

I also scored a couple of Family Circle magazines from the 1970s. I really like the 70s Family Circles for some reason, so I grab them whenever I can – always lots of good reading in them!

20130910-154426.jpg

These may not for sure be mid-century (although I am a derby girl, I don’t know how to date roller skates for sure!), but I am pretty sure they are either 70s or 80s. They were in really rough shape – all of the bearings fell apart when I was taking the wheels off- but with some cleanup, new bearings, wheels and wheel nuts, I now have a sweet pair of retro skates for outdoor skating!

20130910-154806.jpg

Ready to roll!

I hope you enjoyed my finds this week – I’d love to hear if any of you have had any good finds recently!

16 Responses to Finds Wednesday!

September 11, 2013 at 11:09 am

Yay! for skates! And I’d be hopping around with happiness if I’d found those magazines. Those are one of my favorite things to come across.

2. Barbara Reply

September 11, 2013 at 12:23 pm

How could you leave the box of 50s behind? I’d have grabbed them all! The BHGs from the 40s and 50s are chock full of ideas, projects AND instructions.

If you like Family Circles, I suggest you find some Woman’s Day mags from the 40s and 50s. A crafters delight! They have a whole section on “How To” from woodwork for the home to knitting, sewing and stuff. They are more than fabulous!

PS: Nice skates!

• Andrea Reply

September 11, 2013 at 11:53 pm

It was a bit of a mix up- I actually thought I was getting the box of 50s issues. It was a large yard sale, and me of the gentlemen running the sale offered to help me carry the box to the car. I thought he was grabbing the 50s, didn’t realize there was a 60s box until I got it home! I am hoping some of the 50s issues might turn up at the thrift store.

I will definitely have to keep my eye out for those Women’s Day mags, they sound fantastic!

3. Sisi Reply

September 11, 2013 at 12:53 pm

How lucky! i really love Better homes mag!

• Andrea Reply

September 11, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Thanks Sisi!

4. Sara In AZ Reply

September 11, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Love, love, love the mags……I would jump for joy if I came across some 50s BHGs – next time you will have to snatch those up too! And wow, what great skates….the remind me of my old roller skating rink days back in the 70s!

• Andrea Reply

September 11, 2013 at 11:57 pm

See my reply to Barbara above, Sara – I am hoping I will come across them at some point! I was super stoked to,find the skates for sure, vintage roller skates are really hard to come by around here!

5. Joyce Wagner Reply

September 11, 2013 at 4:20 pm

I LOVE magazines from the 50’s and 60’s, preferably Better Homes & Garden, and Christmas issues. I was complaining to my husband the other night that I had nothing to read – the next night he came home with a HUGE pile of vintage Life magazines! He said when I finish that pile there are more – they are just sitting in his mom’s basement!!

And the skates – you cannot tell they were the same ones! TERRIFIC job! I have my original skates from the mid 70’s, complete with Polyurethane Wheels, pink pom-poms and my skate case. Unfortunately I can no longer skate due to a foot injury, but they bring back such great memories, I can’t part with them either!

• Andrea Reply

September 12, 2013 at 12:00 am

Me too, Joyce – I always seem to find more interesting articles to read in the vintage ones than I do in the modern ones. What a fantastic thing for your hubby to bring home!

Thanks on the skates, that is so fantastic that you still have your original ones! 🙂

September 11, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Question: Are the Canadian mags different than the US ones, or are they all the same? And I cannot wait to see some of those recipes!!! 🙂

• Andrea Reply

September 12, 2013 at 12:01 am

That’s a good question, Ruth! I am guessing they are the same, as the cover shows two prices, with a different one for in Canada. There are some real gems for you in the recipes for sure – I’ve found some that I will have to send you for sure!

7. Amy Reply

September 12, 2013 at 4:41 am

I had a pair just like those but mine were blue 😀

• Andrea Reply

September 12, 2013 at 11:42 am

Oooh, nice, Amy! Blue ones would be really cool.

8. AtomicVault.etsy.com Reply

September 13, 2013 at 2:17 pm

My mom used to have roller skates like that! I used to wear them and roll around in our basement as a kid 🙂

• Andrea Reply

September 16, 2013 at 11:49 am

I bet you had tons of fun with them as a kid! I often wish my basement was unfinished, so I could roll around in mine, LOL!