Home » Decade » 1950 » March 1956 : Let’s All Go On A Honeymoon Trip With Sally Jo and Dean – Part 4

September 5, 2013

March 1956 : Let’s All Go On A Honeymoon Trip With Sally Jo and Dean – Part 4

By Sara In AZ

We are finishing up our honeymoon road trip with Sally Jo and Dean in this last installment of the series. If you missed Part 1, Part 2 or Part 3 make sure  to check them out!

These are the honeymoon memories of Sally Jo and Dean Kilpatrick from late March 1956.

h1

h2

In part 3 we left off with Sally Jo and Dean staying at the Castle Motel in Beaumont, now they have traveled about 300 miles north to Texarkana as they make their way back home.

They stayed at The Sands Hotel in Texarkana, Texas – and you can see that she makes a note that this hotel is associated with The Sands in Las Vegas. I tried and tried and tried to figure out if this was actually true and I came up with absolutely zero. I have no idea if The Sands resort in Vegas also had a chain of hotels across America. If anyone has any further information on this can you please let me know!

If Sally Jo had a camera I REALLY wish she had it to take pictures here…..seriously, they did not want to go down to dinner because everyone was SO dressed up…..I NEED to see this place!!!!

h15 sands

h16

I LOVE, beyond words, that Sally Jo adored this stationery so much she sent a letter back home just so the family could see it. Honestly I cannot remember the last time hotel stationary struck such a chord in me…..I SO wish hotels could be this cool again!

h27 sands

Sally Jo really kept a lot of paper ephemera from The Sands Hotel, you can tell this was definitely her favorite stop along the way.

h33 sands

h32 sands

OH. MY. GOSH. Room service……for $1.75…….can you even imagine!?! Amazing!!!!!!!

h34 sands

And whoa, the room rate was only $8…..doubly amazing! Ahhhhh yes, those were the best of times.

h31 sands

Here is an old  postcard image of the Sands Motel from Flickr member William Bird. I have to say that the place does look pretty darn cool.

sands then

And here is a recent image of The Sands Motel from Google Maps, unfortunately it looks like most of the building has been demolished and only a small section of the original motel remains. So, so sad.

We are now traveling away from Texarkana and have arrived in Hot Springs Arkansas – about 130 miles northeast.

Looks like they stopped at the Arkansas Alligator Farm  (which is still open!) – and it would seem Sally Jo did not like the alligators much! It’s kind of interesting that they stopped at 2 alligator farms on their honeymoon road trip…my guess is it was all Dean’s idea! Of course if it were my honeymoon road trip I’d have Mike stopping at every antique mall along the way! hee!

h17 alligator

I don’t know if anyone noticed, but the Arkansas Alligator Farm is where Sally Jo purchased her honeymoon scrapbook……there is a stamp on the lower right corner of the cover.

h30 alligator

After the Arkansas Alligator Farm they drove another 150 miles to Newport Arkansas where they stayed the night. I guess Sally Jo did not like this motel nearly as much as The Sands…..she did not even remember the name!

h18

Wow, this day of driving must have just been gruesome…….they drove about 460 miles to arrive in Pontiac Illinois and did not get there until 2 am. Uggghhhhhhhhh.

h19

Hopefully they got to sleep in after the crazy long drive yesterday! They arrived home on March 29 and thankfully only had a 75 mile drive that last day.

h20

Thanks for going along with me on Sally Jo and Dean’s honeymoon road trip, I hope y’all had as much fun as I did!

20 Responses to March 1956 : Let’s All Go On A Honeymoon Trip With Sally Jo and Dean – Part 4

1. Angela Reply

September 5, 2013 at 10:05 am

Absolutely loved this series!

• Sara In AZ Reply

September 5, 2013 at 2:06 pm

So very happy that you enjoyed this Angela!

September 5, 2013 at 10:16 am

I tell ya, nothing was going to be nice to her after The Sands! I bet she talked about that place for decades, every time that he made her stay at some dinky motel on trips. : ) I DO wish that they’d just gone down for dinner amongst the fur wearers though!

• Sara In AZ Reply

September 5, 2013 at 2:10 pm

I know Eartha, I can just hear her now every time they stayed at a so-so motel – for the rest of their lives……”Honey, remember that Sands hotel we stayed at on our honeymoon……………..”

And I SO wish they had gone down to dinner too!!!

September 5, 2013 at 10:59 am

I’m with Eartha, nowhere was going to compare to the Sands! I am also totally wishing they had some pics of the dressed up people there!

• Sara In AZ Reply

September 5, 2013 at 2:13 pm

No other hotel, forever and ever more, could probably compete with the Sands Andrea!

If only they would have remembered the camera…………..

4. RangerSmith Reply

September 5, 2013 at 11:49 am

“All colored attendants” at the Sands! That just speaks volumes on how things change in 57 years. No longer we would use that word or perhaps even take notice of the attendants’ race. This has been a fascinating and entertaining series. Thanks for sharing!

• Sara In AZ Reply

September 5, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I was taken aback when I read that too Ranger Smith, and I agree people probably would not even notice things like that these days.

Thank you so much for your kind words, I am very happy you enjoyed this series!

5. Maureen Reply

September 5, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this, Sara! I love how this drive, with it’s simple pleasures, was their honeymoon trip. Did I read the one entry correctly-that at the Western Union they were asked the name of their dog to help identify them?

• Sara In AZ Reply

September 5, 2013 at 2:20 pm

So glad that you enjoyed reading this Maureen!

I love the simplicity of their honeymoon too….much like my own honeymoon was 15 years ago!

Yes, you did read that right….they WERE asked the name of their dog at the Western Union to help identify them…..I loved that!

6. Queen of Fifty Cents Reply

September 5, 2013 at 5:47 pm

For a nice motel, it really WAS a great price. I just checked on an inflation calculator, and it said that $8 in 1956 is equal to about $68.70 today. Such a deal! And the $1.75 room service meal would set them back about $15 today. I want to go stay there!!

• Sara In AZ Reply

September 5, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Oh, what a cool idea to check the inflation calculator Queen – I hadn’t even thought of that…..and you are right for such an awesome place that WAS a steal!

Now, where is that time machine……………. 🙂

7. AtomicVault.etsy.com Reply

September 6, 2013 at 1:42 pm

they are so cute! i’m surprised she remember as much as she did since she didn’t get the scrapbook til the end of the trip!

• Sara In AZ Reply

September 7, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I thought the same thing too Colleen….I’m amazed at how much Sally Jo could remember after the fact….she must have had a great memory!

8. Heather Reply

September 7, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Loved this series so much! I hope you will do this again the next time you run across something similar. I have to imagine it would make Sally Jo and Dean smile.

• Sara In AZ Reply

September 7, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Thank you so much Heather, I am so glad you enjoyed the scrapbook as much as I did!

And yes, I am always on the lookout for scrapbooks like this so if I see another one I will for sure grab it and do another series!

9. FlyingTexan Reply

October 2, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I am catching up on my emails (yes, I’m quite behind) and loved reading the honeymoon series of Dean and Sally Jo. I did a quick Ancestry.com search and came up with a couple of tidbits. In 1958, Dean and Sally Jo were still living in Aurora, IL. Dean was a painter. He was born 7 January 1956 and passed away 30 July 1999. He was living in Orange, CA at the time of his death. I could not find anything at all about Sally Jo.

I love this old scrapbook as it leads one to wonder how their life turned out. Did they have children? Did they stay married? When and why did he move to CA? Everyone has a story. It reminds me of my parents who are about the same age and are, fortunately, still with me. Thank you for sharing your great find!

• Sara In AZ Reply

October 2, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Neat-o…that is SO cool you did a Ancesrty.com search on them, thanks FlyingTexan!

Hmmmmmm, that is interesting that you found out Dean was a painter and passed on in July 1999…..but nothing about Sally Jo. It makes me wonder if they did get divorced???

I find myself wondering about the same things as you…..did they have kids, what was their life like, did they stay married…you are right – everyone has a story! So glad you enjoyed!!!

10. Jacki Reply

September 13, 2014 at 11:21 am

I know this is an old post, but can you imagine how long they had to save for that honeymoon. I know gas was cheap, but that was a long driving trip even back then when everyone drove everywhere. I really enjoyed reading this post, it was so heartwarming. The fact that even an alligator farm and an Indian Mound was fun to them is cute.

I do have a question about the Flying Texan’s research though, if Dean was born in 1956 andiIf this trip was taken in 1958 that would have made Dean 2 years old when they made this trip. Talk about robbing the cradle!

11. Flying Texan Reply

September 14, 2014 at 8:58 am

Oops! Clearly I mistyped the date of birth for Dean when I checked it out on Ancestry.com! I’m thinking I meant to type 1936. This is a very fun series of posts about their honeymoon. We won’t have keepsakes like these years from now. Everything is on FB or Instagram!