September 4, 2013Retro Pattern Review – Simplicity 4878
For this week’s retro pattern review, I finally have the long awaited flower girl dress! The pattern I used was Simplicity 4878, as chosen by you, NPR readers!
I had free reign on fabric choice, so Ella and I picked a black and pink polka dot cotton with a little bit of glitter, and a pink satin ribbon to add a sash.
The pattern went together easily, however it called for making bias binding out of the leftover bits for the neck and armholes. I found that I only had fiddly bits of fabric left, that would have been a bit of a pain to make bias tape out of, so I just went with a plain black bias tape instead.
The dress buttons up the back instead of a zip, which I thought was a nice feature, since I could dress it up a little more with a fancier button.
Here’s the flower girl practicing for her big role!
The dress coordinated well with her pink crinoline which she had already – you can see the extra fullness it gave, and a bit of pink lace poking out of the bottom.
Overall a very easy to sew pattern, with a very cute result!