Home » Decade » 1960 » Finds Wednesday! My Vintage Bernina!

October 2, 2013

Finds Wednesday! My Vintage Bernina!

By Andrea

Presenting my new daily sewing machine, this lovely 1960s era Bernina!

20131002-005634.jpg

For some time now, I’ve wanted to go to a vintage machine as my daily sewer, since they are so well made. I was having a hard time finding the right machine until I came across this Bernina!

20131002-005851.jpg

This machine would have been a very high end machine back in it’s day, as it has a lot of different stitch functions – which was exactly what I needed.

20131002-005959.jpg

Another interesting feature about this machine is that it has a knee lever instead of a foot pedal to operate the machine. I hadn’t sewn with a knee lever machine prior to this one, but I really like it! I can leave my big slippers on while I sew, which I could never do with a foot pedal.

20131002-010237.jpg

Attached to the machine at the back is this set of drawers for keeping the additional pressed feet (this machine came with quite a few), and also some spool and bobbin holders on top. This just swivels out from the back of the machine, so it’s not in the way, but still attached.

20131002-010435.jpg

This is the carry case for the machine – I love the fabric!

This machine is fantastic. I’ve been using it for a little while now, and it works flawlessly, all the time – exactly why I wanted to go to a vintage machine.

20131002-010619.jpg

At the same garage sale, I also got this lot of patterns.

20131002-010713.jpg

I was super excited to find these Vogue Couturier patterns – not only are these patters generally very sought after by collectors today, these ones are actually larger – so I won’t have to do a ton of grading!

I’d love to hear if any of you out there have had any great finds lately!

16 Responses to Finds Wednesday! My Vintage Bernina!

1. georgiapeachez Reply

October 2, 2013 at 6:42 am

That is a beautiful machine!

• Andrea Reply

October 2, 2013 at 11:04 am

Thanks, gerogiapeachez, I totally agree!

2. Queen of Fifty Cents Reply

October 2, 2013 at 9:45 am

Gorgeous! I know you’ll love it as much as I do my Singer 201, which I bought because I liked the Deco cabinet it was in. Ironically, the cabinet didn’t fit the machine I already had, but when I tried out the 201 it worked perfectly and purred like a kitten. I’ll never go back to a newer machine after this baby!

• Andrea Reply

October 2, 2013 at 11:05 am

Nice, what a great find, Queen of Fifty Cents! I love this one already, I’ve been using it for about a month, and it has been utterly fantastic!

3. Sara In AZ Reply

October 2, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Oh cool, I am a total idiot when it comes to sewing – but that machine looks fantastic….and all those patterns are super cool too!!! Score!

• Andrea Reply

October 3, 2013 at 11:02 am

Thanks, Sara! Hopefully I will have some upcoming Retro Pattern Reviews on the patterns.

October 2, 2013 at 2:50 pm

I know nothing about sewing but that is sure a pretty machine! Super mod.

• Andrea Reply

October 3, 2013 at 11:03 am

Thanks, Eartha!

5. Angie Reply

October 2, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Your machine does not run well because it is vintage but because it is Bernina. I am a HUGE Bernina fan, after working with them when I did theater for a stent. We had machines a round that same era that got caught in a flood, were lifted off their sewing tables and laid on the floor in 3′ of water. mud, and gunk for 3 weeks. They were picked up cleaned off and got working again and worked fine for year, my old boss is still using one of them today. When I started school I went and got a newer version of one because I just didn’t want to take the chance of it breaking down at 3 in the morning before a project was due. It never gave me any hassle once. I wish I could say the same for my singer serger. I love this brand what I love most of all is they don’t change what isn’t broken. The feet you got with this machine can be used on many of the newer models as well. If you machine breaks there are still many repair places that can fix it for you and they don’t really go down in value. My friend wanted to get are placement model of a Bernina she had and when she went looking the price had only gone down $200 for a 20 year old machine. I guess this is my long winded way of saying you did a great thing for yourself picking a Bernina. I know you will be happy.

• Andrea Reply

October 3, 2013 at 11:06 am

Wow, Angie, that is definitely a stellar endorsement for Bernina! Good to know about the feet as well – this machine did actually come with quite an extensive set of feet, but good to know that others shouldn’t be too hard to come by if they still fit today’s Berninas. Good to know about the servicing too, as I am hoping this beauty continues to run for many, many years to come!

6. Erika Mulvenna Reply

October 2, 2013 at 8:46 pm

That is an AWESOME find! I mean, totally awesome! I recently had an old machine passed on to me in one of those old bent wooden cases – and the case was locked with no key so I couldn’t even tell what it was. I got it home, got the case open to find a pretty 1950’s Singer – and it sews like a dream. Love sewing vintage!

• Andrea Reply

October 5, 2013 at 1:08 pm

I have one of those gorgeous 1950s Singers as well – it belonged to my husband’s grandmother. I love that machine dearly as well (and if you can find a buttonholer attachment for it, it will make the nicest buttonholes you ever saw!).

7. Kimberly Reply

October 3, 2013 at 12:06 am

That is one great machine! I sewed all my maternity and baby clothes on a Bernina Record 30 years ago. It was my aunts machine. I now have a vintage Bernina Nova, red and white. Works great .

• Andrea Reply

October 5, 2013 at 1:09 pm

That’s awesome, Kimberly! There seems to be quite a few Bernina fans here 🙂

October 4, 2013 at 8:13 pm

So pretty! I can’t wait to see what you whip up on this one! AND those patterns are awesome!!!

• Andrea Reply