Home » Decade » 1970 » Have A Spooky, Scary, Happy Halloween!

October 31, 2013

Have A Spooky, Scary, Happy Halloween!

By Sara In AZ

In honor of today being Halloween I wanted to take a little departure from the normal MCM goodness we bring to you everyday to show you something a little bit different.

How about a “Spooky, Scary” story to kick your Halloween day off right…then maybe a terrifying picture to top it all off???

Well folks, this isn’t just ANY ‘spooky, scary’ story……no, this was written by little old me way back in the 3rd Grade in 197…*cough…cough* – well a LONG time ago at any rate!

Way back in the “olden-times” when I wrote this super scary story my school still made good old mimeograph copies…….for those of you who had mimeograph papers at school you will never forget the purple-ish hue…..the faintly damp feel…..that smell………oh yes, the good old days.

I don’t have many of my old school papers, but for some reason this one was saved. It’s funny too, I can completely remember the day I wrote this…..I remember how the classroom looked…..I remember receiving these papers and ‘passing some down’ …..I remember writing it and thinking I had just written the *most* terrifying story ever told – how Stephen King never got a hold of my story idea before I’ll never know! ha!

As I look back on my story now I find it charming for all the errors….all the misspells, the inconsistencies…and I am fascinated at what my 3rd grade mind found terrifying. I don’t even want to imagine how a 3rd grader would end this story in 2013.

What is this terrifying story you ask? Well let’s get on with the show (all misspellings and other errors included).

A Spooky, Scary, Story

On Halloween, Freddy, who was the bravest boy in the world, decided to sleep in a haunted house……………..when he walked in the house he saw spiders. And then he walked a little bit more and saw a ghost. And he walked up the stars and saw a brain It was getting late and his mother told him to go to bed at 8:00 and when he went to bed something woke him up IT was strang and horridle IT Was goblins! he was scared to Dath he ran so fast he got home in time.

Whew, are y’all still with me – or have you run for cover yet? I just knew y’all would be scared too! Just remember to breathe and it will all be ok. And Stephen King – if you want to buy the rights to my story please feel free to give me a call, really – anytime day or night!

For anyone that is still with me I wanted to end my post with this artistic masterpiece I drew in kindergarten. I know, it’s just as terrifying as the story isn’t it?! And for those of you about to ask – that witch is riding on a broomstick, but I have no idea why a rocket is flying through the moon.

Have a fabulous Halloween everyone…enjoy the day…enjoy your family….and please don’t let all of the goblins scare you to ‘dath’!

18 Responses to Have A Spooky, Scary, Happy Halloween!

1. Ann Kennedy Reply

October 31, 2013 at 6:52 am

I love this post! You will never regret hanging on to such enchanting childhood work and with every passing decade it will take on more importance for you. Thanks for giving your readers a look and Happy Halloween!

• Sara In AZ Reply

October 31, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Thank you so very much Ann! I do really treasure the few childhood school papers and drawings that my Mom did save….it’s almost like a trip back in a time machine when I look at them.

October 31, 2013 at 9:40 am

YES!! I love Spooky, Scary Story ! (referred to as “S.S.S.” by all of the movie producers who are clamoring for it behind the scenes)

• Sara In AZ Reply

October 31, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Eeeeeee!!! Thanks Eartha! I’m still waiting for that call if any movie producers are reading this! 🙂

3. tammyCA Reply

October 31, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Cute! Ah, yes the wonderful intoxicating smell of the mimeograph papers…always just freshly made & damp. It made you almost forget you had to take a quiz those addicting fumes you were inhaling.
    Boo-hoo, I have nothing from my childhood schoolwork/artwork. Just my “half chewed up by the dog” little diary from age 10…I led an exciting life writing about watching the Red Skelton show! 😀
    Happy Halloween!

• Sara In AZ Reply

October 31, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Yay Tammy! Someone else remembers mimeograph papers too!!! 🙂

Awwwww, I think it’s pretty neat that you have your diary…..and seriously if I would have had a diary from when I was 10 it would probably been just as tantalizing as yours…..all about watching The Love Boat and Fantasy Island on Saturday nights! LOVED those shows!!!

October 31, 2013 at 4:41 pm

No! Not…A BRAIN!

I don’t know, that actually seems pretty scary to me. If I walked into a house and just saw a brain lying there, I’d be pretty terrified.

Unless it was for Mid-Century Menu. Then I would probably just cook it. 🙂

• Sara In AZ Reply

October 31, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Well yeah….I guess when you put it into that perspective Ruth I *did* write a pretty terrifying story didn’t I! 🙂

hee-hee…..if I know you you wouldn’t even bat an eyelash to cook brains for the MCMenu! You’ve already done cow tongue….what’s next!?

5. Angie Reply

November 1, 2013 at 12:47 pm

I just love the printing it’s self. It is funny how you don’t see things mimeographed any more. I feel to young to know what something was like in what is now considered a bygone era. Took me back to doing estimates with M&M’s and costume parades. Man I used to love Halloween.

• Sara In AZ Reply

November 1, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Oh gosh Angie, I SO know how you feel……..I also feel to young to remember some of the things that make me feel WAY old…..like when it was a HUGE deal that our family was buying a calculator….like how it was a HUGE deal to get a “new Push button phone”….only having like 7 channels for the first 20 some odd years of my life….I could go on and on.

• Angie Reply

November 2, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Ours was getting the VHS recorder and the micro way. We felt Rich then. Oh and a cordless phone, that was a cool day, no more tripping over the cord while I had in the bathroom talking to my BF. lol

• Sara In AZ Reply

November 3, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Oh lord yes Angie……the VCR….I remember we could not afford one early on, so we’d actually rent one for the weekend every so often! And the cordless phone….I believe I was a senior in HS before we got one of those!

November 1, 2013 at 5:44 pm

OMG, so freaking cute, Sara! Your Halloween story definitely seemed pretty spooky to me – I expect you’ll be getting the call from Stephen King any day now 😉

• Sara In AZ Reply

November 1, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Thanks so much Andrea! I’m still waiting for that call Stephen…… 🙂

7. Ruth Reply

November 2, 2013 at 3:06 am

That’s such a funny story–aren’t little kids a hoot! I remember about the same age I drew a whole family of scary Halloween-type characters, sleeping in bunk beds in a house! (I think I was sharing one with a younger brother at the time.) There was a skeleton, ghost, and I don’t know what else! Now that you mention it, my brother gave me a calculator one year for Christmas. It was a TI and still near the hundred dollar mark, I think. Now, I have half a dozen around the house, several free ones. How times change!

• Sara In AZ Reply

November 3, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Ruth! I just love the thought of a bunch of Halloween characters sleeping in bunk beds…adorable!

Calculators….I know! The first one we got was in the mid 70s and I believe it too was near $100….it was s seriously huge deal that we were getting it…now you can get them at the dollar store – yes how times change!

• Ruth Reply

November 3, 2013 at 5:06 pm

And because I’m just that old, I can remember when we got our first color TV! I was about 8 or 9 and my dad was working at Sears. We had an old upright black and white Zenith with about a 19 inch screen before that. About the size of a laptop screen now. My dad brought home a console color TV one day and boy, were we excited! We had that one for years and it went to my first apartment when I was 22. My grandparents had a massive radio/record player console at the same time. It really got a workout during holidays when all the kids were at their house! He had a lot of specialty records like Tijuana Brass. So much fun!

• Sara In AZ Reply

November 4, 2013 at 12:00 pm

I think when I was very, very young we did have only a B&W TV too…but I mostly just remember having a color. It was SO small compared to the HUGE TV’s available today….like you said – ours was probably about the size of a laptop screen!

Awwww, I can just picture the radio/record player at your Grandparents home…mine had one too and I used to love playing it….ahh, memories!