Home » Culture & Media » My Vintage Children’s Record Megascore – With Lots of Pictures!

October 7, 2013

My Vintage Children’s Record Megascore – With Lots of Pictures!

By RetroRuth

So, two weeks ago I mentioned that I had scored some fun stuff at the Midland Antiques Festival. And by “fun stuff” I meant a whole pile of vintage children’s records!

IMG_3494

Look at them! Aren’t they adorable? They even have all the sleeves and everything.

IMG_3476

I ended up getting these records from one of my very favorite vendors at the festival. I am not sure exactly how they find their bargains, but they always have the most obscure and awesome stuff and it is always super cheap. Most of the time the things I buy from them are deadstock and MIB, and they are usually around a dollar!

IMG_3478

I ended up paying $35 for about 70 records, which I think is a steal.

IMG_3481

According to the dealers, they bought these records from an 83-year-old woman who was having a garage sale. These records had been in her kindergarten classroom for many years, and she hoped that the dealers would find them a good home where they would be loved.

IMG_3483

Well, I can tell you that I am definitely going to love these records! And when she gets old enough, I am sure the baby will love them, too. I especially like that this bunch is a mix of story-type records and some educational records. I can’t wait to hear what “My First Alphabet Song” sounds like.

IMG_3486

Now I just have to clear out some space in our living room and bring one of our record players upstairs.

IMG_3487

Luckily, a lot of these records are in really great condition, especially for classroom records! Most of them look like they were hardly even played, which is very exciting for me. I am always on the lookout for kids records in antique and thrift stores because buying them online is such a gamble. I really like to check out the condition before I buy, and these look like they are in great condition!

IMG_3489

My favorite set! Most of these are Disneyland records, but the one in the left lower corner is especially hilarious because of the creepy puppets. I love it.

How about you guys? Any record collectors out there? I admit that we really only have the very basics in our “grown-up” record collection, but with this new addition our children’s collection has finally gotten pretty big!

10 Responses to My Vintage Children’s Record Megascore – With Lots of Pictures!

1. Sherree Reply

October 7, 2013 at 7:37 am

What a great deal you got! They will be cute displayed when you are not playing them. Disneyland records are always adorable. I love the Christmas ones, too!

October 7, 2013 at 9:57 am

Those are adorable! I’m not sure I could choose a favorite but they’d be fun to switch out in frames on the wall.

3. Erika Mulvenna Reply

October 7, 2013 at 10:32 am

Wow, you are not kidding, that is definitely a megascore! Awesome find!

4. tammyCA Reply

October 7, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Amazing deal on nifty records (that wouldn’t happen out here where everything is $$$)..love the graphics. I remember watching Romper Room and the Do Bee and Don’t Bee. I’ve only got a couple children’s LPs for the graphics (Small World/Disney), but need to find a vintage record player in the future.

5. Mary L Reply

October 7, 2013 at 5:07 pm

I think I had some of those records as a child. The DE-RE-Mi/Allouette cover looks awfully familiar. So does The Red Red Robin.

6. ellynanne geisel Reply

October 7, 2013 at 7:20 pm

I admit to serious vintage vinyl envy at the sight of your haul, and that price tag…ohmy!

October 8, 2013 at 11:12 am

Awesome, Ruth, I am jealous! I’ve found a few records for Ella, but not too many. I have been collecting vinyl since I was a teen, and I have a pretty varied collection. Need to find a source for new record player needles though.

8. Charmarine Reply

October 9, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I’m become obsessed with old records. I just found an amazing classical record stash at our local Salvation Army. I was so excited! I think you have an amazing find with your kid’s records. Your daughter will love singing along with them when she’s a wee bit older!

9. Susie Reply

October 21, 2013 at 5:24 pm

I have collected children’s records forever! Mine started with hand-me-downs from my older siblings and went from there. I would say 75% of my collection is children’s, and I even have doubles and triples because I am forgetting what I already have. My favorites are any Disneyland from the actual park (ride soundtract, ect) and the Mr Rogers – those have some decent tunes that are QUITE listenable!

10. karen marie Reply

November 2, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Great find Ruth. So many times you go through piles of records just to find out the record covers smell too much to keep. I grew up listening to recordings of stories and songs while coloring in coloring books. My 3 sisters and I loved the recording of “Twas the Night Before Christmas”, “The Little Fir Tree” and “The Night the Animals Talked” on an MCM record from the ’60’s. If you ever run across this album or know of any source for trying to find it, please let me know. Thanks for your blog. LOVE IT!!