Home » Decade » 1950 » Won’t You Be My Neighbor – A Lovely Vintage Ranch in Tempe, Arizona

October 27, 2013

Won’t You Be My Neighbor – A Lovely Vintage Ranch in Tempe, Arizona

By Sara In AZ

Hi everyone, I’m filling in for Eartha Kitsch this week…..I know I’ve got some big shoes to fill, so I really hope you like the house I’ve picked out for today’s ‘Won’t You Be My Neighbor’!

You all know my husband and I have been home shopping like crazy down here in the Phoenix area…only to be outdone almost all of the time by home investors. ugh. We are still on the hunt, but I wanted to share one special house I came across in my searches recently.

Truth be told, I would love to live it this house……it reminds be of Grandma and apple pie and swing music on an old time-y radio….but with this house located VERY close to Arizona State University it is not the best location for us. Let’s just say that we hear lots and lots of stories about all night parties and lots of mayhem at the houses down by ASU…..not good.

This home is located at 119 East Bonita Way in Tempe, Arizona. It is a three bedroom, one and a half bath home and is 1,616 square feet. It was built in 1950 and the listing price is $335,000. It is listed with Realty Executives. From the listing:

Hurry to see this antique beauty in one of Tempe’s best neighborhoods – Wood floors, in perfect condition – Custom built on large irrigated lot – Large rooms – Lots of closets – Lots of storage – Wood burning fireplace – Arizona room and laundry – Mastercool evap plus A/C – Original tile counter tops in great condition – Spacious country kitchen – Large pantry – Antique stove – Big Chill antique look fridge (cost $3500) – Built-in bookshelves and loveseat in living room – Beautiful landscaping with shade trees, apples, grapes, lemon, – pomegranite – Oversize yard – Garage – Both front and rear porches – This one of a kind home will not last.

Let’s check it out!

Front Entry

Living Room

Dining Room

Kitchen

Kitchen Nook

Master Bedroom

Bedroom

Pink Bathroom

Do you all love this home as much as I do? How about that awesome screen door at the front entry, or that amazeballs kitchen, and don’t forget about that awesome knotty pine bedroom! *Swoon*

Seriously, if this house was in a different location I’d be dying to buy it! What do y’all think?

27 Responses to Won’t You Be My Neighbor – A Lovely Vintage Ranch in Tempe, Arizona

1. Carrie Reply

October 27, 2013 at 9:31 am

That kitchen is amazing! What a cute house. 🙂

October 27, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I adore that kitchen Carrie!!!

2. thatmidcenturyfella Reply

October 27, 2013 at 9:46 am

I love this little place! So cute. Personally, I think living next to a college campus would be great! All the students would bring in the businesses to keep your travel time short and they would help the local economy! I would jump on this one! 🙂

October 27, 2013 at 2:34 pm

You might re-think living down by ASU midcenturyfella if you heard all the horror stories I see on the news and read in the paper about living around there……all night parties with hundreds of people, your yard getting trashed out, girls getting attacked, a lot of crime problems….unfortunately, not really what I want to deal with. So sad too, as there are a bunch of really cute homes down there…..but most of them are now rentals…..to ASU students…..ugh.

3. Kim Campbell Reply

October 27, 2013 at 10:46 am

Adorable! I wouldn’t change a thing!

October 27, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I agree Kim – I wouldn’t change a thing either…it’s just lovely!

4. David Kirk Reply

October 27, 2013 at 11:38 am

Someone is dreaming to list this place for $335K! For that price virtually anywhere in the valley you can have 2500 SF, 4 BR, 2.5 baths, three-car garage and much more.

October 27, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Unfortunately, they are not really that far out of line with asking that price David…..it’s just the area….people always ask WAY more for houses down by ASU…though in my mind I think it should be less because of all the craziness going on around there. If you ‘Zillow’ this place you will see that this is around the going rate for places around the campus, it’s just sad though…prices are just getting way to out of whack around here.

October 27, 2013 at 12:51 pm

That is really too bad about the location, cause this house is fantastic! Really a cute little home.

October 27, 2013 at 2:42 pm

It is too bad Andrea, it is such a sweet place!

October 27, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Thanks for this post Sara girl! Oh wow, now that I am looking at this house again, I’m thinking “Would college students be so bad?”. I know in my heart that they would be but this house is sooooooooo cute.

October 27, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I see that it’s too small for Mike anyway. We’ll just go with that. 🙂

October 27, 2013 at 2:45 pm

No problem on the fill-in Eartha….hope I did ok! 🙂

And hey, if I though this place would work (meaning not around ASU) I wouldn’t care if Mike would think it was too small…..I’d beg endlessly for it and make it work! 😉

October 27, 2013 at 4:34 pm

That kitchen!! So adorable!!!

October 27, 2013 at 8:12 pm

I love it Ruth…..that fridge too!!!

9. Sarah Reply

October 28, 2013 at 2:21 pm

I spy not only a Big Chill fridge, but also a Crestview Doors screen door. Whoever owned this house lived and breathed retro. Perfection all around.

October 28, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Total, total perfection Sarah…..I can only hope it stays that way forever and ever!

10. tammyCA Reply

October 28, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Seriously cute house! It has some similarity to my house..our vanity & tub are tiled like that but in teal & gray. Too bad about those rowdy college students ruining things, geez.

October 29, 2013 at 1:33 am

Oh gosh, your house sounds SO adorable Tammy….you are very lucky! And yeah…..the rowdy college students…..uggghhhhh.

11. rae Reply

October 28, 2013 at 9:46 pm

oh man! that kitchen is killing me! What a great little house.

October 29, 2013 at 1:34 am

I know Rae…..the kitchen is SO FAB!!!! LOVE!

12. dkzody Reply

October 30, 2013 at 3:01 pm

That refrigerator! How in the world have they kept that thing going all these years? Great piece.

October 30, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Hi dkzody! That fridge is actually a Big Chill fridge……you can buy them new today and have that FAB retro look with none of the pains of dealing with an old fridge….it’s the best of both worlds if you ask me!!!

13. Laura Reply

November 1, 2013 at 6:56 pm

I love the screen door sooooo much. I’ve been hunting for a similar one for my house, but haven’t come up with anything yet. The kitchen is amazing. I wish I could get excited about pink/maroon tile bathrooms, but I just can’t. I’ve tried, but it’s just not the best color combination, no matter how vintage-perfect. I hear you about campus neighborhoods, Sara. I live in a university town too, and though it’s not any where near as much of a party school as ASU, I have friends who have students urinating on their flowers on a regular basis. Uck. It takes a better constitution than I do to put up with that. I’d be the crazy old lady standing at the door yelling “you kids get off my lawn!” Who needs that?

November 1, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I know, I am dying over that screen door too Laura!!!

Oh man, your poor friends…..uggghhhh. Yes – that is EXACTLY what goes on (and worse) at all the houses down by ASU….and yes, that is who I would be too……that crazy old lady in her nightgown yelling at the *youngsters* to “Get off my lawn”! 🙂

14. Midcenturylush Reply

November 7, 2013 at 11:23 am

Sarah, I live in AZ too…44th Street and Palm Lane (just south of Thomas). Have you looked in this area? We live in the Rancho Ventura neighborhood in a Ralph Haver ranch. There is one down the street for sale right now with some pretty cool original features in the bathrooms. The kitchen was remodeled sadly 🙁

Won’t you be my neighbor? 🙂

November 7, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Hi Midcenturylush! I totally know your area – I used to work at the Motorola (when it was Moto!) at 52nd St./McDowell right near there. Your neighborhood is FAB and I would totally LOVE to be your neighbor…but we are mostly looking for something a little bit bigger on a bigger-ish lot. We just need 4 bedrooms in the worst way and Mike is very insistent that he not lose his beloved garage…so you know how that goes! 🙂

Gosh, I could completely picture my metal cabs in that kitchen though…….

What is your Haver like? Is it all original??? Do tell!