Home » Decade » 1950 » Won’t You Be My Neighbor -A Charming Cape Cod In Columbus, OH

October 20, 2013

Won’t You Be My Neighbor -A Charming Cape Cod In Columbus, OH

By Eartha Kitsch

My husband and I have been doing some house shopping here in our hometown and we’ve noticed that unfortunately, the majority of the vintage home are being gutted. It’s just heartbreaking. Many times, even if a house hasn’t been completed gutted, we’ll find that brand new fixtures and features are added alongside the already existing period ones and well, things just don’t mesh well. Many of the older homes feel quite jarring when this happens. For instance,  you can be standing outside of a lovely fifties home, feeling all sunshine and rainbows and then you walk inside  to find that most everything is new. These houses  just don’t feel right. The charm is gone. I’ll never believe that you can take a vintage home and make the inside look brand new and have things seem completely right. To me, it’s like resetting the charm that has built up through the decades. So much is lost.

Thinking of those lost homes makes me really appreciate this week’s feature home. A few minor changes have been made in the kitchen and baths but since they were done with restraint and an eye towards flattering the existing decor, they go well with all of the wonderful features that have been left intact. The beautiful woodwork, doors and built-ins have been retained,  as well as the pretty bathroom fixtures and fun basement floor.

This home is located at 2477 E. Livingston Avenue in Columbus, Ohio. It is a three bedroom, two bath home and is 1,568 square feet. It was built in 1955 and the listing price is $158,500. It is listed with Keller Williams Consultants. From the listing:

Beautiful Berwick Cape Cod close to all the Bexley amenities with Columbus taxes. Walk to Berwick Elementary, Capital University, churches and synagogues. Meticulously restored with new roof, gutters, windows, heating and a/c. Gorgeous hardwood floors throughout. First floor master with full bath. Screened porch.

Let’s take a look!

Living Room

Screen Shot 2013-10-19 at 6.50.17 PM

Dining Room

15788_4.Jpg. 15788_5.Jpg.

One of the Bathrooms

15788_12.Jpg. 15788_11.Jpg. Screen Shot 2013-10-19 at 6.50.01 PM

Screen Shot 2013-10-19 at 6.50.31 PM

Back Screened Porch

This home looks so well-kept and loved. The woodwork just gleams and how about that cool shelving unit divider between the kitchen and dining area? I know that if this house was located in my town, we’d be seriously considering it. I know that my kitties would love that sunporch! What do you all think of this sweet cape cod home?

11 Responses to Won’t You Be My Neighbor -A Charming Cape Cod In Columbus, OH

1. Sharon Reply

October 20, 2013 at 10:00 am

If it were near me I’d snap it up in a minute.

2. Beth Reply

October 20, 2013 at 11:42 am

Wonderful house. And what you say is true. I see so many ads for “mid century” homes when the only thing MC about them is the external structure — the interior has been gutted. So sad.

October 20, 2013 at 11:57 am

Gorgeous home! That bathroom is fantastic and I love that wood shelf/room divider!

4. Sara In AZ Reply

October 20, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Oh gosh, this home is FAB……LOVE that divider, and the bathroom…..and, just like your kitties, Midnight would probably be on that screened porch 24/7! I would totally buy this place if it was here!!!

5. Mary Reply

October 20, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Such a lovely home, inside and out! You can tell it’s been well loved over the years. You just don’t see that kind of quality anymore.

6. Janell Reply

October 20, 2013 at 6:32 pm

That basement floor is delicious!

7. tammyCA Reply

October 20, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Darling house! And, what a great basement..we don’t have basements out here but man, it sure would help to put the kids somewhere. 😀

8. Angie Reply

October 21, 2013 at 1:14 pm

We had the same problem while looking this summer. Our love for the old is a nitch market even our real estate agent had a hard time getting his head around. I sent even sent him some of your blogs as a reference as to what I was looking for. He kept showing us houses that were run down or gutted and flipped we finally settled on a 1937 home that was renovated in the 90’s it still has a bit of 30’s charm but very little and fits our needs but since we were running out of time and had a very limited budget getting our dream home slowly faded away for now. I have a way to get in touch of one of the original owners of the house and will have her visit and tell me how the house used to be so we can do our best to bring it back to it’s former glory & have a great room. lol How I wish this gem was in our neighborhood. Please tell me you are watching rehab addict. She flips houses but restores them to their former glory. I am in love with the show.

9. Jen Reply

October 21, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Oh, that’s gorgeous, and if we didn’t have our heart set on a time capsule on farmland, we’d be all over it!

Bexley is a VERY, VERY nice area—quite tony with taxes to match (hence the mention in the listing, though IMO, Columbus taxes are high as well—central Ohio has that problem, and I can’t say the “services” are a good value, either). Also, reading the location I was worried that it was in Whitehall, but it’s far enough away from that area (the polar opposite of Bexley), IMO. What a cutie!

I can’t tell you how many homes we looked at that had been gutted. Our realtor did a good job of trying to help us find homes that fit our niche, but they are oddly popular—I say oddly because I fear buyers are buying them to gut. 🙁 Far too often the house in question needed serious renovations or, as happened twice, was literally sold while we were pulling into the driveway to take a look! I really wish people would stop gutting these homes, especially when what they replace the original things with are so charmless. It really takes the wind out of a home-buyer’s sails.

October 22, 2013 at 11:57 am

That room divider is just gorgeous!

Sad, sad story, and true in SO many places. We are actually watching a gutting happen right now in our neighborhood – and the house was LOVELY before. Argh!

11. AtomicVault.etsy.com Reply

October 25, 2013 at 2:37 pm

OMG, I seriously love this one! I wish our MCM house still had those awesome kitchen cabinets! And the floor in our basement (sadly in need of replacement after some flooding) is almost identical colors to theirs! Great inspiration for a vintage re-do 🙂