Home » MCM Fun » MCM News » American Girl Haul – Emily The 1940’s Doll and Retro Red Dinette Table To Be Retired In December!

November 25, 2013

By RetroRuth

So, it turns out that I am not just a sucker for full-sized retro wares, but pint-sized ones as well! A few months ago I received an American Girl catalog in the mail and screaming across the front cover was the news that one of the original American Girls, Molly, was going to be retired in December along with all of her fab little retro accessories. So, I ordered this adorable retro dinette set.

It was really the only thing I could do.

I have one of the original American Girls from 1989, and I really have high standards for the American Girls line. I had heard that since they had been sold off and production moved overseas that the quality had gone down, but honestly this is a really cute and sturdy little metal table and chairs. I LOVE the cracked ice top and the seats on the chairs even have padding in them.

So sweet.

And what fun would a set of chairs be if you only have one doll to sit in them?

So I bought another doll.

This is little Emily, Molly’s friend, and when I saw her I just couldn’t resist. Not only are her clothing and accessories adorable, but she has the perfect coloring for Alex.

Red hair and bright blue eyes, just like my baby girl! Of course, we won’t be able to give this doll to Alex until ohhh…Christmas 2018 or so, but it’s good to be prepared, right?

The only complaint I have about the whole thing is that the boxes that Emily and her accessories came in were all smashed up. And it wasn’t from shipping, because the shipping boxes didn’t have a mark on them. They were smashed up even before packing.

Ugh. See? It’s really a shame. I mean, if I bought this as a second or something I could understand it, but it really sucks to pay full price for something and then get it bashed in like that. Not cool, American Girl. Not cool. But since the doll itself and the accessories weren’t damaged, I am not planning to send it back. It would just be too big of a hassle.

So, if you decide that you need to score one of those cute dinette tables, make sure you head over to the American Girls site and order soon! Emily and Molly are going to be retired December 31st and some of their stuff is already sold out.  I missed the little retro birthday tea set and I am still kicking myself!

Does anybody else out there still have one of the original American Girls? Or even one of the new ones? I have Samantha and her accessories all packed away in the basement in her trunk, just waiting for Alex to get old enough. Then the retro dolly parties will begin!

8 Responses to American Girl Haul – Emily The 1940’s Doll and Retro Red Dinette Table To Be Retired In December!

1. Christine W Reply

November 25, 2013 at 10:28 am

Oh boy do I! It is possible that I started collecting as an actual little girl- and never really stopped. I used to be all about Samantha and her Victorian stuff but I appreciate Molly a lot more these days since I am into midcentury. And now you are making me want that dinette set!

2. Sara In AZ Reply

November 25, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Sadly, I do not have any American Girl dolls…….they came out a little late in my doll playing years, but I have always admired how detailed and cool the American Girl products are. That little diner set is amazing, what a score……I just know that Alex will LOVE it!

3. Lindsay Reply

November 25, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Oh NO! I had the original Molly circa early 1990s and so many of her fun accessories including school desk and chair, bed, and old radio. I even attribute my love for vintage fashion to this darling American Girl. To match Molly, I had her everyday outfit (the blue wool skirt with argyle sweater), pajamas, and raincoat. I wore them ALL THE TIME as a kid. In fact, I’m quite a petite gal and have saved the skirt and sweater and still wear them from time to time (separately…). I have had one or two people recognize the sweater over the years. Maybe that’s a little silly but they are really wonderful vintage repro pieces! I’m sad to hear that the quality has gone down. I don’t have any of my toys from younger days except for Molly and her things which I will always hang on to in the hopes I’ll have someone to pass her along to one day.

The diner set must be new… adorable! Thanks for sharing this post 🙂

4. tammyCA Reply

November 25, 2013 at 3:42 pm

I have the Molly doll (and that cute blue polka dot outfit) and I’m pretty bummed she is being retired..why?
    Ever since I saw the American dolls catalog in the ’80s I loved looking at the dolls and all their neat accessories, but just couldn’t justify buying (heck, I have a huge barbie collection)…um, until I had a daughter and she found those old, battered catalogs and kept looking at them over and over & then finally wanted a doll (that could look just like her). So, for her 8th birthday we went to the American Girl store, luckily there is one nearby, and she got her doll….and, I finally broke down and got my Molly. 🙂
    The store is a neat place to visit since it is set up like a museum with each period doll set in her own “diorama”.
    I actually saw one of the red chairs at the Goodwill several months ago and passed it up, too bad it wasn’t the set.

5. Lacey Reply

November 25, 2013 at 4:44 pm

I still have my original Samantha doll and accessories (plus story books and holiday activity book). I can’t wait to pass her on to my daughter, but that’s still several years away (she’s 2 now). I don’t understand the reasoning behind “archiving” their classic dolls; some of the newer ones, maybe, but the original 3??

6. rae Reply

November 25, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I have Kirsten, the swedish one! She is tucked away in my parents attic for a future grandchild. I can’t believe they are retiring Molly! I always liked her best, but I got Kirsten because I had blonde hair and blue eyes. I loved Molly’s books the best, especially the one about the victory garden! Have you been to one of the American girl stores? We went to the one in new york when we were there on our honeymoon and it was really neat to see all the stuff in person. The historical girls had a separate floor from the modern ones. I loved it!

November 27, 2013 at 4:45 pm

I’ll admit, I am not really familiar with the American Girl dolls (unsurprisingly, they do not have them up here LOL). But that dinette set might just be the cutest thing I have seen for a doll ever.

8. Annemarie Reply

November 28, 2013 at 10:48 pm

I have Molly. I LOVED her (as attested by her current condition). I don’t really like the new dolls very much; the original ones were so much less commercial-y than the new ones. She is sitting in my daughter’s closet right now, waiting for the day my daughter is old enough to play with her. I took Molly out the other day because she needed a hug (she told me so)! I am very sad that they are discontinuing her.