Home » Decade » 1950 » Super Sweet 1950s Time Capsule House For Sale In Phoenix

November 21, 2013

Super Sweet 1950s Time Capsule House For Sale In Phoenix

By Sara In AZ

I recently came across this really adorable time capsule ranch for sale here in Phoenix. It is in a very popular area close to central Phoenix…so I fear this house may be renovated to the hilt after it is sold. Mike and I considered this house, but ultimately it was both out of our price range and a bit farther away from our target area that we’d like to stay in. Also, we REALLY need those 4 bedrooms and this one only has three.

This house is already under contract, but I thought y’all would enjoy a look-see anyways.

This house was built in 1958 and has 1,972 sq. feet with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. It is for sale for $484,900, and is located at 1928 E. Rose Lane in Phoenix Arizona.

From the listing description:

First time on market in 50+ years. Almost half acre (0.46) level irrigated lot in ideal Central Phoenix/Biltmore location. The 1950s buff will move right in; those in need of space will expand; the most ambitious will scrape and start anew. With recent sales up to $1.0M, this neighborhood supports each option. The home on this great lot is the treasure under the big ”W”. A pristine example of mid-century style w/ push button light controls, immaculate 1950s bath tile (hall bath – pink, master -green) and many other 50’s touches. A unique property: Only 3% of North Central Phoenix lots are larger than 20,000sf, and less than a quarter of those enjoy the benefits of flood irrigation. Equidistant from Sprouts, Trader Joes and Whole Foods. No HOA!

I sure hope whoever buys this house does not “scrape and start anew” that would just be sad. On with the tour!

A lovely ranch house!

I love all the stone work on the outside.

The backyard…so awesomely HUGE!

The formal living/dining area.

The family room – adore those built-ins and that fireplace!

This house  still has the original Honeywell ‘Tap Light’ wall switches….SO cool!

One of the bedrooms.

I am K-RAZY for this ceiling light!!! *swoon*

This kitchen has to be one of the most adorable and well kept I have ever seen…..AND it looks like it still retains the original Skylark/Boomerang yellow laminate! While I am not crazy about the newer tile flooring in many parts of the house, that could easily be remedied.

Wheeeeeee….the kitchen even has a cool vintage built-in blender and………………………….

………a FAB built-in clock/radio/intercom! Neat-O!

Here is the master bath…………..

…………..and here is the master bath shower. Love the green tile!

And here is the hall bath….yay!!! for pink!

And here is the lovely pink tile bath.

What do you all think about this house? Could you see yourselves living here? I’d totally go for it if it had just one more bedroom…..or a basement…..and the price was a bit lower!

All pictures property of HomeSmart

24 Responses to Super Sweet 1950s Time Capsule House For Sale In Phoenix

1. Lacey Reply

November 21, 2013 at 8:49 am

This is really sweet. I so hope that the house ends up belonging to someone who will love it as-is. I’m curious about that built-in blender. It’s hard to tell from the photo, but is the blender bowl under the counter? Does it pop up? I’ve never seen such a thing and now I want all the details!

• Karo Reply

November 21, 2013 at 11:18 am

Lacey, that is a NuTone blender. My parents have one in their 1957 house in California. The lower knob is a switch with (as I recall) five speeds. The top part is a knob that pops off, revealing the mechanism that turns the parts inside the blender. The blender ([the glass part], or bowl, or any number of accessories) fits inside this. Turn the knob and the blender turns on to your desired speed. The glass blender or bowl or whatever accessories you have are stored elsewhere.

• Sara In AZ Reply

November 21, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Karo – thanks for your help! Much appreciated!!!

Lacey – Karo is right, it is a NuTone blender. The silver part you see in the pic is the speed control and where the bowl attaches. There would be more accessories stored (like the bowl)in the cabinets somewhere. If you Google ‘Vintage NuTone Built In Blender’ and click on the images link you will get an idea……………..

• Lacey Reply

November 21, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Thank you both for explaining this to me. How neat! And now I’ve gone from total NuTone blender ignorance to wondering how I might convince my husband that we NEED one in our own kitchen. haha.

• Sara In AZ Reply

November 21, 2013 at 9:35 pm

No problem Lacey….and I TOTALLY agree – I want one of these SO bad too…if we ever find our dream house I am going to beg! 🙂

2. Mark VanCleve Reply

November 21, 2013 at 9:42 am

Wow. Too bad it’s out of your price range. Tons of potential. If only my SoCal Cinderella had been kept this original (I’d have a lot less work to do..!). BTW, did USPS ever sort out the damage claim..?

• Sara In AZ Reply

November 21, 2013 at 12:54 pm

It is a great house Mark….if only the price was a bit lower.

Awwwww, but where would all the fun be for you if your house WAS all original!?! 😉

Yes, I was just going to contact you and hadn’t had a chance yet – I got reimbursed maybe a week ago now, so it’s all good…..but you have to PROMISE me that you will let me know when you get another one!!!

3. Mary Reply

November 21, 2013 at 9:55 am

Love this house! We have the same bathroom counter top (in pink bath) in our master bath. Lots of lovely, lovely features! Am also hoping someone can love it “as is.” It’s a retro lover’s dream.

• Sara In AZ Reply

November 21, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Lucky, lucky you to have such a FAB pink bath Mary – that countertop is great!

Fingers crossed this house finds the *right* owner!

4. Liz Reply

November 21, 2013 at 10:43 am

Can’t remember if I’ve ever commented before–but I have the same light switches in my house!! I’ve never seen them anywhere else. Unfortunately they were one of the few original things left in my house…besides one original bathroom and some built ins. I still wish everyday they had not remodeled the master bath…ugh, it’s a Home Depot/Lowes nightmare!! I plan to redo the bathroom someday to look more original.

• Sara In AZ Reply

November 21, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Liz! That is SO cool you have those switches original to your house – they are Honeywell Tap Light switches…..LOVE those things!

Bummer that the master bath was destroyed, but it is pretty great that you have at least one bath intact and some other original features. SO sad that the flippers/remodelers think that ripping out original stuff will ADD value….in my eyes it detracts by trying to make these vintage homes look like vanilla tract homes.

November 21, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Cute! So many awesome original built in features still in that house. Hopefully it gets the right owner!

• Sara In AZ Reply

November 21, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Totally adorbs Andrea! I pray this house WILL get the *right* owner!!!

6. dkzody Reply

November 21, 2013 at 5:02 pm

The people who owned this home for 50 years must be like me. Just keep everything the same if it’s working for you.

• Sara In AZ Reply

November 21, 2013 at 9:35 pm

I could not agree more dkzody!!!

7. Sevina Reply

November 21, 2013 at 6:26 pm

I can’t get past how well this house has been maintained through all those years! Just gorgeous! And that backyard! It’s huge!!

• Sara In AZ Reply

November 21, 2013 at 9:37 pm

I know Sevina, it’s in such amazingly perfect shape it kind of blows me away….and that yard…..I would LOVE that have THAT much space!!!

8. Laura Reply

November 21, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Oh, this seemed like a “so close, and yet…” for you. I could totally picture you and Mike in this house. It seems to have everything you like!

• Sara In AZ Reply

November 22, 2013 at 2:00 am

You hit the nail right on the head Laura….if the price was lower we would have totally gone for it…..I just pray this house finds the *right* buyer!

9. Mary L Reply

November 24, 2013 at 11:04 pm

We moved when I was 16 into a house with kitchen cabinet doors just like that. The doors were maple with copper hardware, which was a lot of work to keep looking good. The oven looks like the replacement one my parents had to buy after we’d been there a while. Even the decorative wood piece at the sink window looks the same. Plus, we had those clear taps in OUR pink tiled bathroom. Was this house built by Rudy York?

• Sara In AZ Reply

November 25, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Hi Mary – Your house sounds like a twin to this one….how cool is that!? I looked back at the listing, but it does not list any builder at all – it only says “unknown”……I’m sorry I don’t know more, if I ever find out I will be sure to do an update.

10. Mary L Reply

November 25, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Thanks, Sara. No, our house wasn’t a twin of this one. Ours was an L-shaped rancher. The kitchen was smaller, but the living room was huge. It had a similar stone fireplace and a large bay window. The house had 6 inch plaster walls, hard wood floors and all window and door moldings were solid maple, as were the baseboards. The exterior was brick. The brezeway wad a slate floor and the wall flanking the carport had long recesses for plants. There was a stone planter under the bay window and the front entrance steps were stone. A very nice, well-built house that we learned had been one of the models for our small development. We also had the second largest lot – a quarter of an acre. When we moved in, we felt like we were in heaven.

• Sara In AZ Reply

November 26, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Your house sounds quite beautiful Mary….is it still in the family? Is it in the Phoenix area???

11. Mary L Reply

November 27, 2013 at 1:12 am

Sara – That house is in Linthicum, Maryland, a wonderful community. My parents sold it when they retired, at four times what they had paid for it and only a year left on the mortgage. Best investment they ever made.