Home » Decade » 1960 » The Craze and the Menace of Skateboards – Life Magazine, May 14, 1965

November 6, 2013

The Craze and the Menace of Skateboards – Life Magazine, May 14, 1965

by Andrea

Today I am sharing with you some pictures from the May 14, 1965 issue of Life Magazine – all about the new “craze” of skateboards – let’s take a look, shall we?

skateboards1

I love this cover image, it was what prompted me to buy this magazine.  It’s not everyday that you see a girl with a total 60’s bouffant doing skateboard tricks!

skateboard2

Here’s another image, with the same girl from the cover, Patti McGee.  Wikipedia states that she was the first female to ever be inducted into the Skateboarding Hall of Fame, which is pretty cool.

skateboard4

skateboard3

The caption for these pictures in the magazine is “Too much moxie breeds mayhem in the streets”.  It looks to be one epic spill that the boy in the upper picture is taking!

skateboard5

This is, without a doubt, my favourite picture in this spread.  I am not sure who has the better facial expression, the kid or the mom!

skateboard7

skateboard6

The caption for these pictures was “College boys fight a downhill battle”.  I like the garbage can trick riding, and that looks to be some pretty impressive slaloming as well.

skateboard8

skateboard9

skateboard10

The caption for these pictures was “It’s easier to get bloody than to get fancy”.  What blows my mind is how so many of these pictures have people riding barefoot – definitely not something you see today!  Definitely not the type of skateboard tricks that you think of today’s skateboarders doing, either.

skateboard11

The caption for this picture was “Give ’em wheels and Oh, Brother!”  I think that says it all!

10 Responses to The Craze and the Menace of Skateboards – Life Magazine, May 14, 1965

November 6, 2013 at 8:40 am

Love these! ““Too much moxie breeds mayhem in the streets” is going to be my new blog tagline one day. That’s just too good not to use.

• Andrea Reply

November 6, 2013 at 11:46 am

I totally agree, Eartha – when I read that, I totally thought that needed to be used more often. That would make a perfect blog tagline!

2. Nina Reply

November 6, 2013 at 8:52 am

My sister was a young skate boarder in the mid 60’s. Her knees always were covered in scabs!

• Andrea Reply

November 6, 2013 at 11:48 am

I bet, Nina! No protective padding like today!

3. Queen of Fifty Cents Reply

November 6, 2013 at 9:34 am

As soon as I saw the first picture, I remembered seeing the magazine when it came out. Makes me feel quite vintage! I seem to recall it created a burning desire in me to try skateboarding, and when I did I learned it was quite hard – and so was the sidewalk!

• Andrea Reply

November 6, 2013 at 11:49 am

That is still fantastic that you gave it a try! I’ve always kinda regretted never trying to learn to skateboard – and now I am too old, LOL!

4. Lauren Bradley Reply

November 6, 2013 at 1:08 pm

My dad had this issue of Life saved from when he was a kid! I remember looking these pictures when I was younger :).

5. rae Reply

November 6, 2013 at 11:51 pm

wow! that might be the best life pictorial i’ve ever seen! the second one down is my favorite! how great would that look blown up and hung on my wall!!

• Andrea Reply

November 7, 2013 at 11:55 am

I agree completely, rae, that would make an awesome piece of art for the wall!

6. Sara In AZ Reply

November 7, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Oh gosh, this brings back memories…all my friends and I were into skateboards back in the 80s. I wasn’t that great, but still had fun with it anyway…the Mr was also a skater back in the day….and he was MUCH better than I was!