Home » Decade » 1940 » Vintage Sewing eBay Roundup – Coats, Coats and More Coats Edition!

November 22, 2013

Vintage Sewing eBay Roundup – Coats, Coats and More Coats Edition!

by Andrea

While I am sure many of you are still enjoying fall where you are, winter has definitely arrived up here in Alberta, Canada – it won’t stop snowing!  It’s got me browsing coat patterns on eBay – let’s have a look!

First up, this ADVANCE GIRLS COAT PATTERN

coat1

This little girl’s coat pattern is adorable!  View 1 made out of a heavier fleece or wool would make a super cute dressier coat for the holiday season.

Next, we have this Simplicity 5526 vintage misses/womens coat

coat2

This coat pattern is a classic!  Again, view one made out of a fleece or wool would be nice and cozy for winter.

Then, we have this 1920s coat pattern

coat3

So this one isn’t technically mid century – it’s from 1921.  However, this style of coat was popular well into the 30’s, and it was too cute not to share!  I’d love to make a coat just like view  A

Then, we have this 1940's McCall 7181 Short Evening Coat Jacket Pattern

coat4

Need something a little warmer to wear over your holiday dress?  This could be exactly what you’re looking for.  I especially like view B, it looks like it has the potential to be made quite warm.

Next, we have this VINTAGE FRENCH Sewing Pattern – Patron Modèle PARIS – COAT

coat5

Another very classic style, and this coat would be a fairly easy style to sew!

Finally, we have this Vintage 1970s McCalls 3010 Misses Car Coat Pattern

coat6This one is definitely quite 70’s, but I still think it is quite wearable today as well.

Have a great weekend, and stay warm, everybody!

*Disclaimer: No Pattern Required is part of the eBay Partner Network, and that means that when you click on our eBay links we may earn a very small commission

8 Responses to Vintage Sewing eBay Roundup – Coats, Coats and More Coats Edition!

1. sh Reply

November 22, 2013 at 9:04 am

Thanks for sharing 🙂 I love old patterns. On the 1920’s Butterick one, what is “the deltor”? I have never heard that word before. I also thought it was interesting that the pattern was for someone 5’4″ and under, but was not called “petite”. Women were smaller years ago. I am only 4″10″ and have a hard time finding petite clothing.

• Andrea Reply

November 22, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Hi sh!

The Deltor is a term that Butterick came up with for their particular style of instruction sheet – the name came from the first and last three letters of the magazine that the Butterick company also put out at that time, the Delinator. These instruction sheets were larger and more in depth than most of the instruction sheets that were prevalent in patterns at the time.

I do agree with you that women were definitely smaller years ago. I am 5’11” and have a hard time finding vintage clothing that ever fits me! However, I think back to both of my grandmothers, who were 5’2″ and 4’11”, and then I am not surprised, LOL!

2. Queen of Fifty Cents Reply

November 22, 2013 at 10:13 am

That short swing coat is fabulous!

• Andrea Reply

November 22, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I agree, Queen of Fifty Cents! I am really thinking a coat like that would be a nice addition to my winter wardrobe!

3. San Dee Reply

November 23, 2013 at 1:56 am

I love the artwork on patterns! I am afraid that type of thing is going to die out since stores don’t use illustrators to advertise like they used to!

• Andrea Reply

November 23, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Me too, San Dee – it’s too bad it’s almost always actual photos on the envelopes now.

4. Lassie Reply

November 23, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Those 50’s girls look like they’d be pretty cold outside, without warm pants, lol.

The short black swing jacket – I HAD that, quite a few years ago, I bought it in a department store. Mine was a little longer, but otherwise the same thing. It was made of shiny black gabardine. (there was an interest, on and off over the years, in fashions of the 40’s.)

• Andrea Reply

November 24, 2013 at 1:55 am

LOL Lassie, yes, I do think the 50’s girls could use something a little warmer on their legs! I think that swing coat style is one that has become a classic.