Home » Decade » 1950 » Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Modern Masterpiece in Mineola, TX

November 17, 2013

Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Modern Masterpiece in Mineola, TX

by Eartha Kitsch

This week’s home is a bit of a Mid-Century Modern dream. Clean lines? Check. Natural lighting? Check. So packed full of all-original features that it makes me shriek with glee? Check! Check! It also has quite the lineage as it was designed by E. Davis Wilcox who studied under Frank Lloyd Wright.

hr4060471-25

This home is located at 615 N. Johnson Street in Mineola, Texas. It has three bedrooms and two baths and a total of 2,471 square feet. It was built in 1950 and is listed by Virginia Cook Realtors. It is priced at $299,000. From the listing:

Designed by noted architect E. Davis Wilcox who studied under Frank Lloyd Wright. Wilcox also designed Robert E Lee High School in Tyler. The home has incredible natural lighting with floor to ceiling windows throughout. Features include original satinwood walls, built-ins, hardwood and tile floors and exposed brick walls. Set on an almost half acre lot, two car carport, one car garage. This Mid-century Modern gem is in pristine condition!

You all have got to see this home! Let’s take a look!

Living Room

hr4060471-4

hr4060471-19

hr4060471-18

hr4060471-28

hr4060471-16

hr4060471-26

While looking at the photos, I kept reminding myself that this house is listed for $299,000. Consider my mind blown! I’d be all over this house if it was located here. I would bring in some brightly colored vintage furniture and decor and live happily ever after.  Did you see that gigantic Dining Room with seating for sixteen people?

What say you, readers? Are you as mad about this house as I am? Which features do you enjoy?

13 Responses to Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Modern Masterpiece in Mineola, TX

1. thatmidcenturyfella Reply

November 17, 2013 at 8:52 am

I love this home too. Why, oh, why are these homes not in my area?! The only features I am not in love with is the kitchen. For some reason it seems less than mid-century. Maybe like a 1980’s update or something. Plant a couple bonsai trees in the back and you’re golden! Thanks for sharing.

• Nicholas Reply

May 10, 2016 at 10:04 pm

the kitchen is perfect! and its original!

2. Linda Omoletski Reply

November 17, 2013 at 12:09 pm

There’s nothing about this I don’t like..love it!

3. Sara In AZ Reply

November 17, 2013 at 2:00 pm

I have no earthly idea where in the world Mineola Texas is, but I want to move there like now….what a stupendously fabulous house!!!

Just my 2 cents – I think the kitchen looks completely original and mid century….the wood of the cabs looks to match all the paneling and trim and the cab door fronts are very plain and flat with no decoration – just like my Mom’s 1959 condo cabs.

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

November 17, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Yeah, that kitchen is definitely all original. I looooove all of those cabinets. It was just more of a modern look for 1950 than say cheery white cabinets or metal cabinets. Meet you in Mineola!

4. Barbara Reply

November 17, 2013 at 4:16 pm

The tile in the living room and dining area has to go, but otherwise, Mineola looks pretty darned good to me!

5. Brooke Reply

November 17, 2013 at 10:15 pm

LOVE THOSE LINES and allll the windows too!

November 18, 2013 at 11:52 am

Not a huge fan of the tile, I would do the hardwood throughout, but other than that, this house is utterly gorgeous! I would also be all over it at that price tag if I could find it here!

7. Chaucea Reply

November 19, 2013 at 6:28 pm

*heavy sigh* I really want to live here. There is nothing about this place that I dislike. I’m blown away, really. And the selling price makes it too good to be true!

8. Becky Reply

December 5, 2013 at 7:22 pm

I live less than an hour from Mineola. This house has been on the market for well over a year; I remember seeing it for the first time on realtor.com and literally saying out loud “THAT is in MINEOLA?”

Mineola is a little town known for good antique shops in East Texas. It’s within commuting distance of Tyler and Longview, but not Dallas, which is more than likely why it hasn’t been bought. There simply aren’t enough people out here who can afford that price and appreciate MCM. Believe me, if we could afford it we’d be living in it! ; )

9. Terri Reply

July 20, 2015 at 6:31 pm

The house is stunning. And…. It’s MINE,!!

10. janet Reply

June 10, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Beautiful spacious y antiques would set it off.mineola is a
    ..great small friendly place

11. Terri Reply

November 25, 2016 at 7:35 pm

We are filling the home with
    MCM furniture. It will be stunning when we are done!