Home » MCM Fun » Author » Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Woodsy Rancher in Memphis, TN

November 24, 2013

Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Woodsy Rancher in Memphis, TN

By Eartha Kitsch

This week’s home is kind of mysterious to me. There is no description in the listing and it’s like I can see enough to know that I’d love it… but I’m dying to see more! I’m pretty sure that if I lived near this one, I’d be on my tippy-toes, peeking in windows.

l4c895344-m1o

This home is located at 1621 Bonnie Drive in Memphis, Tennessee and has three bedrooms and three baths. It is  2,400 Sq Ft square feet and was built in 1960. The home is price at $127,200 and is being offered by Kaizen Realty. Let’s take a look inside!

Entry

l4c895344-m18o

l4c895344-m11o

Exterior

l4c895344-m21o

l4c895344-m22o

l4c895344-m23o

I just love that kitchen, I can tell you that. The attached nook area is great too. Talk about storage! I also really like the downstairs recreation room with the padded seating around the fireplace.

What do you think, readers? Does this home pique your interest too? Which parts do you like?

28 Responses to Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Woodsy Rancher in Memphis, TN

1. sherree Reply

November 24, 2013 at 9:55 am

I love it! And that price!!! I can’t imagine having that much storage in the kitchen. And those pastel bathrooms are wonderful. It looks to be in very good condition; is there a reason it is priced so low? Is there a problem we cannot see?

• Lacey Reply

November 24, 2013 at 10:49 am

I was wondering the same thing (re: sale price). The only reason I can think of that maybe the house is in an undesirable area. Either that, or the house has termites!
      Whatever the reason, it’s an amazing property. I can’t get over all of that storage in the breakfast nook.

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

November 24, 2013 at 11:51 am

I was looking at that storage and was imagining all of the things that could be stored in there. Like all of those small appliances that I always say, “Where the heck can I put these??” 🙂

2. Jenny Spinks Reply

November 24, 2013 at 10:28 am

I live an hour from this house. Not much appreciation for this type of architecture and basically no preservation of this gorgeous interior tolerated in this part of the country. I believe this house is in serious danger of being totally ripped of all its character and wonder and replaced with big box blandness. I wish someone would buy this and prove me completely wrong.

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

November 24, 2013 at 11:52 am

I wish I could flatbed truck that house to Nashville. I’d move in and start shining it up. Things are pretty much the same way here in Nashville unfortunately. People do NOT get the idea of preserving homes of this time period. It will be regretted one day when it’s too late.

3. Betty Crafter Reply

November 24, 2013 at 10:58 am

Wow – how about that over head light in the room with the fireplace?? Amazing. Too bad it’s not nearer to you, Eartha!

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

November 24, 2013 at 11:50 am

I know! I was trying to get a better look at that thing! Those pictures are NOT serving us well. 🙂

4. Cynthia Reply

November 24, 2013 at 11:02 am

The house is in a terrible neighborhood and that is why it is priced so low. I am from Memphis and I know exactly where that is. (no offense meant to anyone btw)

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

November 24, 2013 at 11:49 am

I hate it when that happens. It makes you wish that you could just airlift the house out of there. Still, I hope that someone buys it and appreciates it. It looks like a great house.

• Gina Dagastino Reply

November 24, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Yes,I am from Memphis too. That house is in a TERRIBLE neighborhood with even more terrible schools.It was a nice area when it was being built in the ’50’s-early’60’s but be prepared to be burglarized and dodge bullets on a daily basis with this one.It is such a shame too.

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

November 24, 2013 at 1:43 pm

That’s such a shame. A lot of our remaining period houses are in areas that aren’t the best here in Nashville too. It’s pretty common but it sucks.

• Gina Dagastino Reply

November 24, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I live in a huge MCM modern home in a nicer suburb of Memphis (not the highest priced area but still nice ).People have no idea until they come here how reasonable real estate is. We have a lot of people who have been transferred here from other parts of the country with much pricier real estate and they are absolutely blown away by how low the cost of living is and how unbelievably low real estate is,even in the most exclusive areas.

• Cynthia

November 24, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Yes Gina there are some dreamy MCM’s in “old east Memphis” (as I used to call it) that I would drive by and swoon! LOL I would always wonder what they looked like on the inside and sometimes I got to find out thru estate sales. 🙂 I live in Nashville now in a MCM but sadly it was updated when we bought it. It is one of the few remaining ranches on my street.

5. Susan Reply

November 24, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I just left town for the week otherwise I would be driving over right now to check it out. Unfortunately it is not in the area we are looking for (but it is close to Graceland!). I would love to find a big fireplace/family room like that!

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

November 24, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Hey, being close to Graceland could be cool at least! 🙂

6. Shelly D Reply

November 24, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Beautiful interior! I’m guessing a guy took the pics, because he didn’t bother to put the toilet seat down!

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

November 24, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Ha! Maybe it was a lady at the office who cropped the open bowl out. 🙂

7. Sara In AZ Reply

November 24, 2013 at 1:50 pm

I think this house is SO beautiful and amazing….what a GREAT time capsule and all that for only $127,000!?! WOW!

That is quite unfortunate that this house is in a less than stellar part of town….I’ve passed on houses here for the same reason….maybe you and I need to seriously look into starting that ‘airlifting MCM houses’ business – we could really be onto something…just sayin’! 🙂

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

November 24, 2013 at 1:51 pm

We could start our own neighborhood somewhere!! 🙂

8. Leslie Reply

November 24, 2013 at 2:45 pm

I’m in Memphis too! One of my father’s first houses was on Bonnie Drive, it was a great neighborhood back in the day. Unfortunately not so much anymore. I’m dying over the storage and that beautiful lot!

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

November 25, 2013 at 1:46 am

I bet it was back then. The lot looks like the neighborhood would be very pleasant. So sad. 🙁

9. Barbara Reply

November 24, 2013 at 8:40 pm

If people didn’t say it was in a crummy area, I would buy it in a heartbeat!

10. veg-o-matic Reply

November 25, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Wow! A totally cool house that I could actually afford–and it’s HUNDREDS of miles away. Story of my life.

I never thought I’d say this, but there might actually be *too much* storage in that kitchen. With all those drawers and cabinets, I’d never find anything again!

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

November 26, 2013 at 1:28 am

Ha! Maybe some kind of chart would be in order!

11. rae Reply

November 26, 2013 at 12:40 am

geeze what a great house! those bathrooms! and i’m kind of blown away by the storage in the kitchen! i need that! i have such a dish “thing” that a lot of mine are stored on the shelves above our basement stairs! too bad its in the rough part of town.

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

November 26, 2013 at 1:29 am

I feel ya on that “dish thing”. And we never have anyone over to dinner. It’s kind of bonkers.

12. Pingback: Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Sweeping Ranch in Memphis, TN | No Pattern Required